• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Socceroos and Australian Football

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
chaminda_00 said:
Asian Cup 2007 groups just announced:

Group A - Thailand, Iraq, Oman, Australia
Group B - Vietnam, UAE, Qatar, Japan
Group C - Malaysia, China, Uzbekistan, Iran
Group D - Indonesia, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Korea Republic

Looks like Australia and Japan got the easy groups, but Iraq or Oman could push us maybe if we play really crappy.
I just came across the pots from the draw.

Pot 1 (co-hosts): Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam
Pot 2: China, Iraq, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain
Pot 3: Qatar, Uzbekistan, Saudi Arabia, Oman
Pot 4 (seeds): Australia, Iran, Japan, Korea Republic

Our new Asian friends only announced them 2 hours before the draw and based them on rankings from 3 months ago so that South Korea could be seeded - they've since dropped below Uzbekistan in the ratings. A fair draw? Not likely.

Looking at that I don't think we could have drawn a better group had we been given an opportunity to pick from the field ourselves.

I was in Rosebud the other day and on the beach there was a family of Indians in turbans and Melbourne Victory replica shirts having lunch. It was a nice sight to see and just shows how far the game has come in Melbourne since the introduction of the A-League and the move away from the ethnic based clubs. It's opened the game up to the mainstream and not just the die hard Greek, Croat, Italian communities.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens with the venues for the finals in Melbourne. Going on the 50,000 crowd the other week, the dome should sell out in week one, so if Melbourne win and go directly into the grand final will they play it at the 'G? 98,000 for a domestic football game in Australia would be something else - I will make the drive up the peninsula for that.

Craig

World Traveller
Better then any Serie A game, or La Liga (unless at the Nou Camp and only for the game against Real Madrid, Valencia or one of their main rivals like Chelsea) and definatly better then the EPL.

Say what you like about the league but at least the people are turning up.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Great Birtannia said:
Our new Asian friends only announced them 2 hours before the draw and based them on rankings from 3 months ago so that South Korea could be seeded - they've since dropped below Uzbekistan in the ratings. A fair draw? Not likely. .
They probably realised the idiocy of Uzbekistan being rated ahead of South Korea. Name one decent Uzbek fotoballer...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
They probably realised the idiocy of Uzbekistan being rated ahead of South Korea. Name one decent Uzbek fotoballer...
I say lack of chances rather then lack of quality, they got some good footballers from what i've seen. If they got a chance to play in major Asian or European Leagues im sure they will show their quality.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's suddenly occurred to me it's summer in Australia & the A-League is in full swing.

Has football always been a summer sport down there or has it been done deliberately so as to not clash with League or AFL?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
It's suddenly occurred to me it's summer in Australia & the A-League is in full swing.

Has football always been a summer sport down there or has it been done deliberately so as to not clash with League or AFL?
Started about a decade ago to not have to compete with crowds from League, Union and AFL. Basketball did the same thing with the NBL, Ice Hockey actually tried to do the same thing but fell on its arse.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
Samuel_Vimes said:
As Chaminda said you've got to be a little careful with these western asian nations, we got rolled by Kuwait with a second tier Euro side (Schwarzer, Skoko, Aloisi etc. played). South Korea have been disappointing since Hiddink left after the 02 WC and while I don't think the ratings are a very good guide for the pecking order on a worldwide basis (as the US play St Kitts and Nevis, while England will play Germany), within confederations they are a reasonable indicator because they play the same (similiar) teams in competitive internationals qualifying for the asian and world cup etc.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Great Birtannia said:
As Chaminda said you've got to be a little careful with these western asian nations, we got rolled by Kuwait with a second tier Euro side
Yeah, but this is the Asia Cup finals, it's not like Korea are going to field their second XI...

Great Birtannia said:
South Korea have been disappointing since Hiddink left after the 02 WC
While Uzbekistan have been nowhere in world football since 1991. Uzbekistan failed to beat Bahrain who were knocked out by Trini & Tobago. That's the level we're talking here, bunch of semi-pros with talent. *bit about Asian Games removed here since it was U-23*

Great Birtannia said:
within confederations they are a reasonable indicator because they play the same (similiar) teams in competitive internationals qualifying for the asian and world cup etc.
Nah. They rate England ahead of Germany. Sweden ahead of Croatia. Guinea ahead of Ghana. Northern Ireland ahead of Norway :rotfl: . Iran ahead of Australia. Scotland way ahead of Slovakia. etc.

They're better than they used to be, but giant-killing - especially recent giant-killing - counts for too much. And of course rankings can never take into account "games lost because teams were already qualified and didn't care diddly-squat".

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
The New Zealand Knights must wish they play the Queensland Roar every weekend in New Zealand :mellow:

Speaking of the Roar I feel bad for Tom Willis (Roar reserve goal keeper) who is out for the rest of the season after injury picked up in training.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I'm going to head along to the Sydney FC/Knights game next weekend.

How can I get tickets to the match? You obviously can't buy them online?

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
James said:
I'm going to head along to the Sydney FC/Knights game next weekend.

How can I get tickets to the match? You obviously can't buy them online?
I got the impression you could via the A League website. Haven't done it myself for obvious reasons.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Matteh said:
I got the impression you could via the A League website. Haven't done it myself for obvious reasons.
I've just spent the past 10 minutes looking through their website and can't find anything to do with tickets :wacko:

luffy

International Captain
James said:
I've just spent the past 10 minutes looking through their website and can't find anything to do with tickets :wacko:
You could proberley just turn up at the match and get tickets then, there won't be a sell out.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
James said:
Far Right hand side. Current round atm saying:

Central Coast v Melbourne - 31/12, 6.00pm and then says Tickets, Preview
Same for Newcastle v Sydney.

Scroll down past the Completed section to the Upcoming round section and there's four
games (including Sydney v NZ Knights) saying Tickets by them.

The link for the Sydney v NZ Knights game leads to: Here.

:)

James

Cricket Web Owner
Matteh said:
Far Right hand side. Current round atm saying:

Central Coast v Melbourne - 31/12, 6.00pm and then says Tickets, Preview
Same for Newcastle v Sydney.

Scroll down past the Completed section to the Upcoming round section and there's four
games (including Sydney v NZ Knights) saying Tickets by them.

The link for the Sydney v NZ Knights game leads to: Here.

:)
Thanks a lot for that :)