• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Socceroos and Australian Football

Cloete

International Captain
Adelaide United Website said:
ROMARIO AND ADELAIDE A DONE DEAL
Friday, 29 September, 2006 - 12:50PM

Adelaide United has captured arguably the biggest name signing in Australian football history after announcing the guest player signing of Brazilian superstar and second highest goal scorer of all time Romario.

It was announced at lunch time this afternoon at a media gathering via satellite from Sao Paolo, Brazil. The 1994 FIFA World Player of the Year and Most Valuable Player of the 1994 World Cup has agreed to terms with Adelaide United to play four games with the club in the 2006/07 Hyundai A-League.

Still playing at forty years of age, Romario will come to Adelaide after most recently playing with United States League club Miami FC where he continued to score goals and close in on 1,000 career goals, a mark which has only been achieved by one other player in history, the great Pelé.

Adelaide United coach John Kosmina is thrilled to secure Romario at the club and believes his age is not a concern.

“He’s got an art you can’t coach, you’re born with it. I guess the skill and grace he’s got doesn’t dissipate with time while he’s still practising. He’s never been renowned for his work rate but his work rate is around the edge of the box and that’s all that counts,” Kosmina said.

“He’s won World Cups, he’s played for some of the best clubs in the world. There will be a long term benefit in this for everybody and that’s the important aspect of the whole lot.”

Romario’s record for Brazil comprises of 74 appearances and 55 goals, while at club level his major highlights include winning three championships with Dutch side PSV Eindhoven (in which he was the league’s tope goal scorer on each occasion) and a championship with Spanish giants FC Barcelona.

Adelaide United CEO Michael Petrillo said, “we decided that if we could get a player with the highest profile in the game that could add value to the team on the field but also build the AUFC brand on a global scale then we would pursue the option”.

At the signing in Brazil Romario is believed to be delighted and extremely pleased to be invited and able to join Adelaide United for a guest stint. As part of the agreement, Romario will also be involved in a game between Adelaide United and his previous club Miami FC on Tuesday 17 October at Hindmarsh Stadium with Miami FC then taking on the SA State Team on October 19.

Romario will then play four games for Adelaide United FC against Central Coast Mariners in Gosford on 25 November, 1 December v Melbourne Victory, 10 December v New Zealand Knights and 15 December v Newcastle Jets all at Hindmarsh Stadium.

The Brazilian’s achievements put him in the top echelon of footballers ever and his presence in Adelaide and Australia is sure to create an enormous thrill and buzz around the world.

Romario

Born - 29/01/1966, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Position - Striker

Club history
# Miami FC (USL First Division) 2006
# Vasco da Gama (Brazil) 2005
# Fluminense (Brazil) 2002-2004
# Vasco da Gama (Brazil) 2000-2001
# Valencia (Spanish League) 1998
# Flamengo (Brazil) 1997
# FC Barcelona (Spanish League) 1993-1996
# PSV Eindhoven (Dutch League) 1988-1992
# Vasco da Gama (Brazil)

BRAZIL Appearances/Goals
74 Appearances, 55 goals

Additional information
# World Cup Champion & Most Valuable Player (Golden Ball Award) at 1994 World Cup
# Champion & Leading Scorer, Copa America 1989, 1997
# Champion and Leading Goal Scorer of Dutch League 1989, 1991, 1992
# Champion & Leading Scorer of Spanish League 1994
# Champion & Leading Scorer, Confederations Cup 1997
# Champion, Brazilian Championship 2000
# Leading Scorer (22 goals) in Brazilian Championship 2005
# Leading Scorer in Brazilian League six times
# Second Leading Goal Scorer in Football History behind Pelé
# Approaching 1,000 career goals. Has 977 goals as of September 20, 2006
A bit old but when you think about it he was the Brazilian golden boot winner last year and he scored an international goal for Brazil last year so he's still got it. Massive name anyway. I'd love to know what he's earning at Miami but I have a feeling it's enough to buy him a beachfront mansion and many sportscars.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Who needs Dwight Yorke when you got Benito Carbone :D

Crabone just scored on his A-League debut in Syndey FC 4-1 win over Adel Utd

Link

Cloete

International Captain
chaminda_00 said:
Who needs Dwight Yorke when you got Benito Carbone :D

Crabone just scored on his A-League debut in Syndey FC 4-1 win over Adel Utd

Link
Did you watch it Tharmi?

The guy's a freak. Dwight who? Considering Sydney were playing Dwight in midfield they can't go wrong with Carbone there. Firstly, he was offside about 9 times ridiculously. But anyway it took him a while to settle but he had a couple of nice touches early on. Then in the 37th or so minute he gets a ball on the edge of the 18 yard box, and dinks it through with a sort of sandwich/chip between two defenders the space of about 5 metres absolutely perfectly to pick out Zadkovich's run who slotted home past the keeper 1 on 1. His second setup was a 1-2 with Petrovski. Petrovski (out wide left) looked up, Carbone on the edge of the 18 yard again, played it into his feet Carbone facing backwarsd and slightly to the left backheel flicked it between 2 defenders to send Petrovski oin 1 on 1 who slotted easily. His goal was made from a good run (where he wasn't offside for a change) that was beautifully picked out by Milligan (he was huge, great game) with the outside of his foot from behind halfway (Carbone just in front) that sent him on his way with an Adelaide defender trackign him. He was in front on the edge of the 18 yard on a clear break but the defender was about to tackle. He just smashed a shot from the 18 low and right into the corner of the net past the outstretched Bajic. Then at the end of the game he proceeded to run down the click with ridiculously awesome tricks and touches. Throughout the game he was always active, always running and always getting touches on the ball and produced a number of nice tricks. The offsides were always close (bar about 5 :p) and all showed to me that he was hungry as he made so many runs all night but got so many touches. There was a quote, "Dwight was here to party off the field. Benito's here to party on the field" and he certainly played like it.

Bobby Petta, who I was also excited about, also really impressed me towards the end after a shaky start. He MUST be in the Adelaide starting team next week and again he's certainly got pedigree. Hopefully he contineus to hit soem form because he's a classy player who loves running at people.

Anyway both the Adelaide v Sydney and Victory v Roar games were brilliant. The standard was just exceptional, better than anything weve ever seen before in Australia (Except John Spagnuolo's misses :D). Was certainly great watching and the standard of football played in those two games was far better than the Ipswich v Colchester championship match I watched over the weekend.

I'm not sure who Queensland's marquee player is but I definitely think we need one better than we have now as we certainly have the ability to lure a very good player. I can't wait for Romario though :p

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Nah i didn't watch it but by the sounds of all the reports im hearing he could end up being the best footballer we had in Australia. Everyone being telling me that he fits perfectly into our side and once we get our backroom sorted he should get a season loan. I think the big difference between him and Dwight Yorke is that he wants to be here. Dwight really just wanted to keep fit, so he could play in the World Cup.

Also does anyone know when Romario actually coming?

Cloete

International Captain
December. Comes for Adelaide's away game then 3 home games in a row I think. Check out www.foxsports.com.au for his goal assists and goal. But there were alot of great touches, tricks and offsides you can't see obviously :p

Craig

World Traveller
Trust a former Interista to do well, so good on him.

Who do people predict to be the next big name Australian to come back? I think it will be Craig Moore and/or Kalac, probably one after each other.

Would love to see Moore captaining the Queensland Roar (assuming he would get the armband and he probably would) if he chosse them, but hopefully not Sydney like that turncoat Brosque.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
Trust a former Interista to do well, so good on him.

Who do people predict to be the next big name Australian to come back? I think it will be Craig Moore and/or Kalac, probably one after each other.

Would love to see Moore captaining the Queensland Roar (assuming he would get the armband and he probably would) if he chosse them, but hopefully not Sydney like that turncoat Brosque.
Chippers probably, i think the Moore still feels he has something to prove in England and Kalac will stay in Europe until some big club gives him a starting spot.

Craig

World Traveller
Tony Popovic scores on his final game for Australia to give Australia the winner over Paraguay.

Australia 1 - 0 Paraguay.

Craig

World Traveller
Craig said:
Tony Popovic scores on his final game for Australia to give Australia the winner over Paraguay.

Australia 1 - 0 Paraguay.
Lol I spoke to to soon :@

Paraguay get the late equaliser after a Michael Beauchamp own goal who has just come.

Beauchamp you merkin :@

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I had money on a 0-0 draw and was all smiles with 5 mins left. When Aus scored I didn't mind since it was Aus, and then Paraguay equalise.

Two late goals, weird stuff.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Its only friendly so it doesn't really matter.

I thought the performance was very good especially the midfield, they really did dominate most of the match. Up front Aloisi seemed the struggle for the that final touch, but i guess that will come if he every gets playing time in Spain. The defence look quite strong, but considering three guys are retiring there going to be a lot of questions asked of that defence in the next couple months.

Still haven't decide whether i will go and watch a Socceroos play on Wednesday, still couple thousand tickets left from what i've been hearing. Might just stay home have couple beers and watch it at home, so lazy these days.

luffy

International Captain
Thats was a great game best i have seen for awhile. It was deserving for both teams to get a draw as both teams played great footy. We should hammer Bahrain though.