• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Socceroos and Australian Football

ash chaulk

International Captain
this from BBC gossip columns

Sunderland new boy Dwight Yorke says he is "gutted" to have left Sydney FC. (The Sun)

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
ash chaulk said:
this from BBC gossip columns

Sunderland new boy Dwight Yorke says he is "gutted" to have left Sydney FC. (The Sun)
Sydney or Sunderland....i know where i'd rather live.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
Funny, at the end of last season there were big doubts on him coming to come back to Sydney to honour the second year of his contract.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
Yorke was contracted for this year and when the majority shareholder of the club is worth 6 billion I don't think it is a matter of cost to be honest.

Sydney are the 'glamour club' in the A-League and don't mind splashing the cash around.

Yorke stuffed around at the end of last season and wouldn't commit to coming back to Sydney for the second year of his contract.

I doubt very much that he would have signed another year had Sydney even offered it to him.

Yorke is hardly going to turn down a $400,000 a year pay rise at Sunderland to stay in Australia.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
A sunny 44 degrees celcius expected in Kuwait City for today's match. I'd love to have seen the English reaction to that after the big fuss over 30 degrees in Germany!

Matteh

Great Birtannia said:
A sunny 44 degrees celcius expected in Kuwait City for today's match. I'd love to have seen the English reaction to that after the big fuss over 30 degrees in Germany!
The heat was just a crap excuse.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Great Birtannia said:
Yorke was contracted for this year and when the majority shareholder of the club is worth 6 billion I don't think it is a matter of cost to be honest.

Sydney are the 'glamour club' in the A-League and don't mind splashing the cash around.

Yorke stuffed around at the end of last season and wouldn't commit to coming back to Sydney for the second year of his contract.

I doubt very much that he would have signed another year had Sydney even offered it to him.

Yorke is hardly going to turn down a $400,000 a year pay rise at Sunderland to stay in Australia.
This is what the BBC has to say on it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/sunderland/5315102.stm

luffy

International Captain
Great Birtannia said:
Holy crap that is hot!!

sideshowtim

Banned
God damn the Victory. Dirty *******s. Can't wait to play them next time for some revenge.

I'm predicting a 3-1 Aussie win tomorrow.

sideshowtim

Banned
Liechtenstein could score against us (granted it was an own goal) but I don't see why Kuwait couldn't get a lucky one past us.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Kuwait at home in 30 to 40 degrees heat is a lot harder then away from home. I can see them scoring a goal 2-1 or 3-1 seem about right.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Great Birtannia said:

Isn't there a salary cap, though?

Matteh

steds said:
Yorke would be their Marquee player who doesn't count in the cap. So they could offer anything for him.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
The less said about the match the better I think :censored:

How the hell did Griffiths miss that chance? An u-12 striker would get crucified for spurning that.

Skoko, Holman and Sterjovski were all ok in the first half and played some nice balls through but we really had only the one proper chance all game and everyone switched to invisible mode in the second half. It was truly abysmal defending for Kuwait's two goals.

Thank god we had already qualified, I don't expect Bahrain would be best pleased with the result given we will have a full squad back for the game and they are going to need to get something out of it to qualify now.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
steds said:
Like the others have said, each club is allowed one "marquee" (terrible american term that) player that is exempt from the salary cap.

Sydney have splashed out and signed a list of back room staff to go with the young players that they have poached from Queensland (Brosque) and New Zealand (Brockie) last season.

The other week Sydney were fined $90,000 for players not fulfilling commitments for so called "additional work within the community" that they had been paid for outside of the salary cap.

Last edited: