Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Tri-Nations thread

State Vice-Captain ohtani's jacket's Avatar

Official Tri-Nations thread

New Zealand vs. Australia, Bledisloe Cup:

What to watch for:

Carter vs. Larkham -- this is the first ever match up between Carter and Larkham in the number ten jersey; Larkham is one of the all-time great first five-eighths, Carter last year's International Player of the Year... The return of Larkham instantly makes Australia a threat, but this is the kind of Test where Larkham could take a hit and not get up, so it'll be interesting to see how he plays... Carter showed big game temperament at Twickenham last year, but Larkham has played in two World Cup Finals, so Australia has the edge here...

The SCRUMS -- New Zealand destroyed Australia in the scrums last year... Australia have since hired coaches with Northern Hemisphere experience (similar to the NZRU after the 2003 World Cup), but Australia don't have anywhere near the World Class front row that NZ have... Advantage New Zealand.

Lineouts -- New Zealand have struggled with their lineouts this year. Australia are always good at lineout time. Lineouts have cost us many a Bledisloe Test in years gone by, so look for Australia to put real pressure on New Zealand here.

The MIDFIELD -- New Zealand miss Tana badly. Australia will look to exploit New Zealand's mid field defence now that Tana is gone. Mortlock is the man. What a player. Should be interesting to see Mils play at 13 and Mat Rogers at 12. Mauger needs to have a big game, as does McDonald at fullback -- great Super 14 players, but often lacking at Test level.

MISC. -- Will Richie McCaw make the difference? Will Gregan be in the ref's ear? How many times will George Smith terrify us? Whose backline will fire? Will the weather play a part?

All Blacks by 8. Although I'm going to have to hurry to leave Rugby Park Southland to get to the pub....

Australia by 4, 17-13

Carter to cost New Zealand the game with the boot (2/5) and knocking on 10 metres out handing Australia an easy try.

I dunno how anyone could tip Australia over New Zealand TBH.

New Zealand are absically a super power these days and the calibre of players they can field as well as the depth of NZ rugby is unmatched anywhere else.

New Zealand by 10 for mine.
    CWXI Regular - Member of CW Black

Blacks ftw

Australia don't have the same talent base as us but they play smarter rugby. That's what will win them the game IMO.

State Vice-Captain ohtani's jacket's Avatar
    I can't see New Zealand losing, since it's a home Test at Jade Stadium. The mental aspects of our game have improved under Henry -- I don't think we would've won the Twickenham or Buenos Aires Tests in years gone by, not to mention the Sydney Test last year where we were down 13 points after 13 minutes. In fact, the only time we've really chocked since the flat backline debacle was last year in South Africa.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by ohtani's jacket
    New Zealand vs. Australia, Bledisloe Cup:

What to watch for:

Carter vs. Larkham --
    Souldnt that be CAAAAAAAAAAAArter vs Larkam. I need to use ear medication everytime he touches the ball when there are NZ commentaters doing the broadcast.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

New Zealand for me, kicks off at 8.30 am UK time so hopefully the gym will have it on.

I backed South Africa to win the trophy a couple of months back, got pretty good odds. So up the Springboks though their recent performances against Scotland and France were pretty deplorable and I believe both Jean de Villiers and Bakkies Botha are both out injured, so not good signs.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    My Tip is for Rogers to have a terrible game and cost Australia 2 tries with poor defence. Ben Tune will come on and score a try though. Australia have improved alot on last seasons efforts, but as much as i hope it doesn't happen NZ by 12 .
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Top effort by McCaw and friends throughout, 'specially in defence. We didn't use the ball we had and in the end that cost us dearly.

Very impressed from what little I saw of Cordingley.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Well I'll put my hand up, well played All Blacks.

The Aussie forward pack really are awful. Shame really considering the fantastic back line they have.

I still can't understand how people can say Carter is in the class of Grant Fox and Andrew Mehrtens though.

I'm glad James isn't the guy who went into the bookmakers and put $30k on Australia to win, and $80k for Australia to win within 7.5 points (might have been a little more I'm not sure).

That isn't so bad, because at least if Australia had won he would have made some money, unlike these fools who gamble 130k and only get 90k if they win, what is the logic in that?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    You get the 130k back as well Craig!
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Why Phil Waugh is playing off the bench and someone of McIsaac's calibre is starting (even though they play different positions), I'll never know.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information