• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Tri-Nations thread

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
New Zealand vs. Australia, Bledisloe Cup:

What to watch for:

Carter vs. Larkham -- this is the first ever match up between Carter and Larkham in the number ten jersey; Larkham is one of the all-time great first five-eighths, Carter last year's International Player of the Year... The return of Larkham instantly makes Australia a threat, but this is the kind of Test where Larkham could take a hit and not get up, so it'll be interesting to see how he plays... Carter showed big game temperament at Twickenham last year, but Larkham has played in two World Cup Finals, so Australia has the edge here...

The SCRUMS -- New Zealand destroyed Australia in the scrums last year... Australia have since hired coaches with Northern Hemisphere experience (similar to the NZRU after the 2003 World Cup), but Australia don't have anywhere near the World Class front row that NZ have... Advantage New Zealand.

Lineouts -- New Zealand have struggled with their lineouts this year. Australia are always good at lineout time. Lineouts have cost us many a Bledisloe Test in years gone by, so look for Australia to put real pressure on New Zealand here.

The MIDFIELD -- New Zealand miss Tana badly. Australia will look to exploit New Zealand's mid field defence now that Tana is gone. Mortlock is the man. What a player. Should be interesting to see Mils play at 13 and Mat Rogers at 12. Mauger needs to have a big game, as does McDonald at fullback -- great Super 14 players, but often lacking at Test level.

MISC. -- Will Richie McCaw make the difference? Will Gregan be in the ref's ear? How many times will George Smith terrify us? Whose backline will fire? Will the weather play a part?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
All Blacks by 8. Although I'm going to have to hurry to leave Rugby Park Southland to get to the pub....

James

Cricket Web Owner
Australia by 4, 17-13

Carter to cost New Zealand the game with the boot (2/5) and knocking on 10 metres out handing Australia an easy try.

Cloete

International Captain
I dunno how anyone could tip Australia over New Zealand TBH.

New Zealand are absically a super power these days and the calibre of players they can field as well as the depth of NZ rugby is unmatched anywhere else.

New Zealand by 10 for mine.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Australia don't have the same talent base as us but they play smarter rugby. That's what will win them the game IMO.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
I can't see New Zealand losing, since it's a home Test at Jade Stadium. The mental aspects of our game have improved under Henry -- I don't think we would've won the Twickenham or Buenos Aires Tests in years gone by, not to mention the Sydney Test last year where we were down 13 points after 13 minutes. In fact, the only time we've really chocked since the flat backline debacle was last year in South Africa.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
ohtani's jacket said:
New Zealand vs. Australia, Bledisloe Cup:

What to watch for:

Carter vs. Larkham --
Souldnt that be CAAAAAAAAAAAArter vs Larkam. I need to use ear medication everytime he touches the ball when there are NZ commentaters doing the broadcast. :)

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
New Zealand for me, kicks off at 8.30 am UK time so hopefully the gym will have it on.

I backed South Africa to win the trophy a couple of months back, got pretty good odds. So up the Springboks though their recent performances against Scotland and France were pretty deplorable and I believe both Jean de Villiers and Bakkies Botha are both out injured, so not good signs.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
My Tip is for Rogers to have a terrible game and cost Australia 2 tries with poor defence. Ben Tune will come on and score a try though. Australia have improved alot on last seasons efforts, but as much as i hope it doesn't happen NZ by 12 :(.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Top effort by McCaw and friends throughout, 'specially in defence. We didn't use the ball we had and in the end that cost us dearly.

Very impressed from what little I saw of Cordingley.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Well I'll put my hand up, well played All Blacks.

The Aussie forward pack really are awful. Shame really considering the fantastic back line they have.

I still can't understand how people can say Carter is in the class of Grant Fox and Andrew Mehrtens though.

Craig

World Traveller
I'm glad James isn't the guy who went into the bookmakers and put $30k on Australia to win, and $80k for Australia to win within 7.5 points (might have been a little more I'm not sure).

That isn't so bad, because at least if Australia had won he would have made some money, unlike these fools who gamble 130k and only get 90k if they win, what is the logic in that?

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Why Phil Waugh is playing off the bench and someone of McIsaac's calibre is starting (even though they play different positions), I'll never know.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
burkey_1988 said:
Why Phil Waugh is playing off the bench and someone of McIsaac's calibre is starting (even though they play different positions), I'll never know.
I suspect (with Chisholm & Elsom in the back row it can be the only reason, really) that Oz are trying to add some grunt to their pack.

It's a nonsense for me tho, Waugh is world-class. Him & Smith together are always a threat.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:

I have to agree, the new front row really got shown up last night. We really do need to nail down a world class front row if we are going to compete with NZ. I think Frier will be the man for Hooker when he returns from injury - Jeremy Paul should certainly hold the spot till then. Not quite sure about the props yet.

Elsom played OK, though i think he could pack more punch by being 20kg heavier, shouldn't have been binned last night either.

Ive always been a big fan of having Smith and Waugh as the flankers, especially when you are playing against the All blacks who are strong in the ruck.

The backs were solid without being spectacular - Lote was superb in defence again. Rogers didn't miss much in defence as he doesn't really get into it, Giteau has to replace him in the starting lineup for the next game. Latham was again quite good last night.

Larkham screwed up 2 kicks and played well below his best too - mainly i think because the All Blacks really went after him well.

For the All Blacks i thought McCaw and Mealamu were superb, really showed up the Wallaby pack