• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Tri-Nations thread

BoyBrumby

Englishman
James said:
If the expanded Tri Nations is going to work, the match this weekend really needs to be competitive. I’m getting a bit tired of us playing Australia and South Africa year in, year out…..
Seemed madness at the time not to include Argentina in an expanded tournament. The trouble is I think telly rights are sold in sizeable blocks of years so it'll be at least until the end of the current deal before they can be included.

Although from what I've read on Rugger sites yer Saffies cause isn't helped by some "transformation" (AKA quota) selections. Solly Tyibilika plays on Sat & he wasn't even a regular for his Super 14 team.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
James said:
If the expanded Tri Nations is going to work, the match this weekend really needs to be competitive. I’m getting a bit tired of us playing Australia and South Africa year in, year out…..
Marshie! Is that you?

Honestly, after the 1 all split with South Africa last year and all those 1-1 splits with Australia for the Bledisloe an expanded Tri-Nations is the better format... The home sides have held serve -- this happens every year -- are you telling me you're not interested in New Zealand playing at Brisbane or in South Africa??

Argentina should've been in the Six Nations instead of Italy.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
ohtani's jacket said:
Marshie! Is that you?

Honestly, after the 1 all split with South Africa last year and all those 1-1 splits with Australia for the Bledisloe an expanded Tri-Nations is the better format... The home sides have held serve -- this happens every year -- are you telling me you're not interested in New Zealand playing at Brisbane or in South Africa??

Argentina should've been in the Six Nations instead of Italy.
Trouble is, their winter is our summer.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Doesn't really make too much difference when most of their players are in the Northern Hemisphere anyway. Only three games would be in Argentina.

Personally, my preference would be a biennial Tri-Nations. This once-yearly event is overkill. Of course, this will never happen though when Sanzar have already provided Newscorp with a certain number of games - Rupert isn't going to let them drop some off the fixtures list.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Voltman said:
Doesn't really make too much difference when most of their players are in the Northern Hemisphere anyway. Only three games would be in Argentina.

Personally, my preference would be a biennial Tri-Nations. This once-yearly event is overkill. Of course, this will never happen though when Sanzar have already provided Newscorp with a certain number of games - Rupert isn't going to let them drop some off the fixtures list.
Yeah, but it'd be a family sized advantage for yer Argies with everyone else having to come from the NH winter to Argentina's summer. There'd be no proper chance of acclimatising either as the clubs are incredibly loathe to release players at the best of times.

The other option would be to play Argentina's "home" games up here (I've heard Spain mooted), but that wouldn't really be fair on the Argentine Rugby public.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Yeah, but it'd be a family sized advantage for yer Argies with everyone else having to come from the NH winter to Argentina's summer. There'd be no proper chance of acclimatising either as the clubs are incredibly loathe to release players at the best of times.
It wouldn't be much of an advantage when, as I said, the vast majority of Argentinians are playing for NH clubs anyway. So they'll have to adjust as much as anyone.

The idea of playing Argentinian games oooop noorf has also been mooted. Could be worth an idea - although the almost-bankrupt Argentinian union needs as much cash as they can get.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Voltman said:
It wouldn't be much of an advantage when, as I said, the vast majority of Argentinians are playing for NH clubs anyway. So they'll have to adjust as much as anyone.

The idea of playing Argentinian games oooop noorf has also been mooted. Could be worth an idea - although the almost-bankrupt Argentinian union needs as much cash as they can get.
Yeah, that point had escaped me totally. D'oh. 8-)

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
That's OK, BB. Even I have the occasional off-day.

Well, I don't. But I'm just trying to make you feel better.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I would personally prefer seeing us returning to the days of tours where Australia come to New Zealand for a month and play the domestic teams/NZ Maori/followed by the All Blacks, much like how the Lions did last year. Likewise with tours of Australia and South Africa.

I'm looking forward to the tour of France later in the year, that should be very interesting.

And is Henry doing what Eriksson did to the English football team in giving as many players as his possibly can a chance at international level?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
James said:
I would personally prefer seeing us returning to the days of tours where Australia come to New Zealand for a month and play the domestic teams/NZ Maori/followed by the All Blacks, much like how the Lions did last year. Likewise with tours of Australia and South Africa.
As would I, but money dictates the international rugby scene now and that's not going to happen.

Although it's interesting to note Aussie are playing some mid-week games against selection sides on their NH tour.

And is Henry doing what Eriksson did to the English football team in giving as many players as his possibly can a chance at international level?
I don't think it's that so much as creating depth in all positions. He's on record as saying he wants two world-class players in every position, so we don't reach a stage in the RWC like we did in 2003 when Tana was injured.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Well that Test was competitive and hopefully James saw the class of Carter (though with some of the tactical kicking I wonder if New Zealand are even trying to find touch these days.) Weepu and McCaw had big games. Oliver, Hayman and Tialata formed a solid front row. It looks like Tialata is playing himself into a regular spot... Thorne was impressive in his return game. Oliver lost a few against the throw, but he was solid at scrum time. Both locks played well. Muliaina at centre continues to look good. I thought the criticism of Tuitupou was unfair. He did the job he was assigned.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, I notice James is remarkably quiet on Carter this week - even after the chargedown, he picked himself up brilliantly.

Oliver had a strong game, and realistically only perhaps two of the lineout errors were his. The others were simply a case of the SA jumpers reading our lineouts and getting in front of our jumpers.

I don't think Tialata did anything particularly good. I'd prefer to have the all-round play of Dermody, who also made up a key part of the Highlanders front row.

chalky

International Debutant
Has the game started? two national anthems, a Haka, waltzing Matilda and some tackling practice. I think I need a P*ss.

Two minutes into the game and the Aussie commentators are already getting thier excuses ready by blaming the ref.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It wasn't the best game by the ref though to be fair. Heard the whistle a few too many times for my liking.

Really exciting game though.

Craig

World Traveller
How Australia did not win that game I have no idea. The line-out throwing, ball handling, and in general (apart from the defence) was some of the worst I have seen.