• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tour de France

Craig

World Traveller
Unless he has something planned or being taking certain vitimans, then I don't see how he will win it overall wise, you will have better chances of winning with Rasmussen then Erik. If you want odds of him getting in breakaways and trying to win stages, then yes he would be a good bet.

Craig

World Traveller
Samuel_Vimes said:
Thankfully. :D ;)

T-Mobile managed it with Ullrich and Zabel in 1997, IIRC. Not that hard competition then, tho.
And in 1996.

Their podium looked pretty impressive, Riis in yellow, Ullrich in second and the BYR winner, and Zabel in Green. All they needed was somebody to win the mountains and finish 3rd.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Sort of lost touch with the cycling of late, so apologies for my lack of knowledge but I love the sport and will post nonsense anyway. My heart sez Ullrich, but my head sez Basso. Anyone but that **** McEwan for the Green.

1. Ullrich (going with heart bugger it).
2. Basso
3. Mayo

Green - The Mighty Thor
KoM - Cunego
Prologue - Zabriskie

The year I don't tip Mayo will be the year he wins it of course.

Craig

World Traveller
Not bad selections.

Actually I wouldn't mind putting money on Zabriskie winning the prolouge and/or any of the other TT's since that it is his speciality and he won two of them recently.

Too bad he is cycling's equvilant of Simon Jones when it comes to crashing (and rather unfortunate and very painfull ones).

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
Craig said:
Unless he has something planned or being taking certain vitimans, then I don't see how he will win it overall wise, you will have better chances of winning with Rasmussen then Erik. If you want odds of him getting in breakaways and trying to win stages, then yes he would be a good bet.
I would take Menchov to finish above both of them in GC.

Back to Evens, fo a sec, it will be interesting to see how he uses the helper or two that he has for this year. From memory he was a lone ranger last year?

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Basso will win it, with his main contender being Ullrich.
T Mobile + CSC will battle it out for the team win.
Boonen will do well in the first week or so, and then give up when the hills appear.
McEwen vs Hushovd for the Green
Not sure about the Polka Dot tbh.

Those that entered teams - can you just say the name you signed up with please? :)

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Matteh said:
I think Basso will win it, with his main contender being Ullrich.
T Mobile + CSC will battle it out for the team win.
Boonen will do well in the first week or so, and then give up when the hills appear.
McEwen vs Hushovd for the Green
Not sure about the Polka Dot tbh.

Those that entered teams - can you just say the name you signed up with please? :)
Hâkon Mørk, apparently.

Hopefully they're rendered correctly on the sheet so I become Håkon Mørk.

Matteh

FaaipDeOiad said:
You'll take what you're given, Hâkon.
It's come out properly i think.

So far there's a massive 3 people playing lol.

I came 556th out of 994 last year...Hopefully should do better this year :)

Matteh

Neil Pickup said:
I'll enter when the teams are confirmed, cheers!
They pretty much are tbh, except for the awkward delaying teams. Pfft.

June 30th i think is when they're all confirmed.

Craig

World Traveller
Well I'm in it.

On midday Friday is when the Court of Aributration (CAS) will decide whether or not Astana will be allowed to compete or not and once they make the decision it is final and there is no final appeal, whether ASO (The Tour's organiser's) like it or not.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Well Ullrich has been pulled from the Tour amidst Spanish drug allegations. Good start.

Here's the list so far of the alledged blood doped riders:

Astaná-Würth: Michele Scarponi, Marcos Serrano, David Etxebarria, Joseba Beloki, Angel Vicioso, Isidro Nozal, Unai Osa, Jörg Jaksche

CSC: Ivan Basso

Caisse d'Epargne-Illes Balears: Constantino Zaballa

Saunier Duval: Carlos Zarate

AG2R: Francisco Mancebo

T-Mobile: Jan Ullrich, Oscar Sevilla

Phonak: Jose Enrique Gutierrez, Jose Ignacio Gutierrez

Comunidad Valenciana: Vicente Ballester, David Bernabeu, David Blanco Rodriguez, Jose Adrian Bonillla, Juan Gomis Lopez, Eladio Jimenez, David Latasa, Javier Pascual, Ruben Plaza, J.Luis M. Jimenez

Unibet.Com: Carlos Garcia Quesada

Retired/suspended riders: Roberto Heras, Angel Casero, Santiago Perez, Tyler Hamilton

This could also see Basso out. A rum do all this.

Link.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Fair play to T-Mobile though, no head in the sand nonsense, the evidence must be quie compelling. Time to re-evaluate our picks for Le Tour seeing as it's looking like the two favourites won't be starting.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Samuel_Vimes said:
This all leaves Cadel Evans as favourite, doesn't it?:-O
No idea tbh I'm clueless :)

Any chance of a French win this year? Certainly opens the door (to the riders not yet caught :()