• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2006-07

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
GeraintIsMyHero said:
In fact the homegrown players who played numbered 3, G Neville, Butt and Beckham. Scholes was suspended and Phil Neville never played, presumably because he's crap.
Misquoting happening here. He never said played in the Final but won. All of those guys won medals and Giggs too is homegrwon never mind the fact he's Welsh.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
sledger said:
yes precisely, whereas i believe the only genuine lancastrian in that side was gary neville, maybe scholes and butt as well but i cant remember if they played or not, or where in fact they originate from anyway.
Scholes was born in Salford and Butt in Gorton.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
roseboy64 said:
Misquoting happening here. He never said played in the Final but won. All of those guys won medals and Giggs too is homegrwon never mind the fact he's Welsh.
The Welshness comes from his Grandmother - so basically he's English and it's set out to confuse this kind of debate....

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
marc71178 said:
To be fair, Giggs did come from the youth team as well.
Yeah, just saw the Welsh flag next to his name and ignored him LOL

It's not misquoting. He said "half the team" not "half the squad" so the team that won the European Cup was the one that played in the final. Man U lucked in that all those players come through together yet Fergie is hailed as some kind of genius for it. If they hadn't come through when they did, United would never have won the treble, and never won three titles on the bounce, because for every great signing he's made (Roy Keane, Eric Cantona) there is an Eric Djemba-Djemba and a Karel Poborsky to balance things out.

It's no coincidence that they haven't won the title since Beckham left, because Scholes and Giggs haven't been as effective and Keane was on the wane. United = fading force, time for Fergie to retire.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Matteh said:
The Welshness comes from his Grandmother - so basically he's English and it's set out to confuse this kind of debate....
8-) Giggs was born in Wales, his father was a WELSH rugby player, that his primary 'Welshness'.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
No, he definitely is Welsh, hence his never being eligible to play for England.
He is (or was), his mother's English, he just wanted to play for Wales because his father is from Wales and secondly he was born in Wales.

Craig

World Traveller
TT Boy said:
He is (or was), his mother's English, he just wanted to play for Wales because his father is from Wales and secondly he was born in Wales.
Like Owen Hargreaves then.

He's playing for England because his dad is English and he apparently played for England as well (as with Bolton), but his mum IIRC is Welsh and obviously he could play for Canada since he was born there, and probably Germany if he had wanted to by virture he has been there since he was 16.

Cloete

International Captain
Neill offered a new four-year deal at Blackburn. Apparently being chased by Barcelona.

Rumour has it AC are interested in Emerton as well :laugh:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm not sure and I'm not gonna argue with TT Boy but my understanding was that he was never eligible to play for England, but played for English schoolboys, which you qualify for by going to an English school. But if he has an English mother then obviously he would have qualified but quite rightly chose the country he felt he belonged to.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
TT Boy said:
you sure that he didn't want to play for England?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
No, he definitely is Welsh, hence his never being eligible to play for England.
That thing always perplexed me, he would been a top player for England, in cricket welsh players cant play for England why can't it be for football?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
aussie said:
you sure that he didn't want to play for England?
Yes, he wanted to play for Wales because he is Welsh. He wouldn't swap any amount of World Cup appearances for the sake of turning his back on his country.

aussie said:
That thing always perplexed me, he would been a top player for England, in cricket welsh players cant play for England why can't it be for football?
Yes he would have been a top player for England, but then again so would Diego Maradona, I don't quite see your point Aussie, the guy is Welsh. Yes Welsh cricketers can play for England, but :

a-Cricket is a different game to football, with different rules
b-In Cricket, Wales doesn't have its own international side, or at least not a fully afilliated one. Instead it is part of the ECB. In Football, Wales is a separate entity. It has its own team. If Welsh players were to play for England they would have to cease having a football team of their own, and that'd leave pretty much every Welshman of the last 15 years, except Giggs, and Ben Thatcher, with no international football career.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
yea i know about that, but what i'm trying to say is that well i know territories like Wales & Scotland have been seperated from England years ago due to various things in our countries history, but we are in one area so why can't we just all be one?, it may not be beneficial in every aspect of society but i don't think it would be much of a problem.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
but what i'm trying to say is that well i know territories like Wales & Scotland have been seperated from England years ago due to various things in our countries history, but we are in one area so why can't we just all be one?
Excuse me? Territories? They are countries in their own right, not seperated for many years but brought together with England for many years because of England's 700 year obsession with ruling everything.* What's more, they're the last countries of the British Empire which don't have their full independence back. All be one? Don't even try it, bub.

*Yes, I know Scotland signed the act of union with England. But when Scotland asked for its independence back, you clamped them all in chains and sent them off to Canada/America/Australia.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
steds said:
Excuse me? Territories? They are countries in their own right, not seperated for many years but brought together with England for many years because of England's 700 year obsession with ruling everything.* What's more, they're the last countries of the British Empire which don't have their full independence back. All be one? Don't even try it, bub.

*Yes, I know Scotland signed the act of union with England. But when Scotland asked for its independence back, you clamped them all in chains and sent them off to Canada/America/Australia.
Lol - how Scottish does that sound....

Scotland and Wales can't gain independence at the moment anyway because they can't stand on their own two feet without having to come back and ask England for money. At least Wales has attempted to keep it's own language, Scottish Gaelic is only spoken by a few tens of thousands.

As for what Aussie said, surely France and Germany are in the same region? Why not algamate them...(ignoring the fact they actually once were under the Holy Roman Empire) It just wouldn't work because of the different customs and languages that exist and this is why separate countries exist in the first place.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
GeraintIsMyHero said:
I'm not sure and I'm not gonna argue with TT Boy but my understanding was that he was never eligible to play for England, but played for English schoolboys, which you qualify for by going to an English school. But if he has an English mother then obviously he would have qualified but quite rightly chose the country he felt he belonged to.
I was very much under the impression that he was never eligible as well.

Incidently, Ryan Giggs never played for England schools.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
yea i know about that, but what i'm trying to say is that well i know territories like Wales & Scotland have been seperated from England years ago due to various things in our countries history, but we are in one area so why can't we just all be one?, it may not be beneficial in every aspect of society but i don't think it would be much of a problem.
Well for one thing, we'd lose 3 votes on the FIFA council.

Currently only 8 in total and the 4 home nations have 1 each.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Incidently, Ryan Giggs never played for England schools.
Yeah, he did - I've seen a picture of him with an England shirt on aged 16 or so. I'll try and dig it out when I have a bit more time.