• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2006-07

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
yea i know he hasn't been too prolific of late, but he is top foward when i good form & if we want to challenge Chelsea for the title if he gets back in form could be useful.

Other than that we need to sign some more strikers & mid-fielders i.e Carrick if they can get him from the spurs, Vieira & Ibrahamovic if Juve gets relegated, Gilardino if he wants to come to England, Torres if he want sot come to England.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie said:
yea i know he hasn't been too prolific of late, but he is top foward when i good form & if we want to challenge Chelsea for the title if he gets back in form could be useful.

Other than that we need to sign some more strikers & mid-fielders i.e Carrick if they can get him from the spurs, Vieira if Juve gets relegated, Gilardino if he wants to come to England, Torres if he want to come to England as well.
Rooney, Van Nistelrooy, an in form Saha....Think Man Utd are fine as far as world class attackers go.

Need a world class midfielder desperately though i feel.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Matteh said:
Rooney, Van Nistelrooy, an in form Saha....Think Man Utd are fine as far as world class attackers go.

Need a world class midfielder desperately though i feel.
And some defence.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Defence looks good to me. Neville, Ferdinand, Vidic and Heinze is a very good back four. Man Utd had the second best defensive record last season if I'm not mistaken. Central midfield is the problem.

Craig

World Traveller
aussie said:

Other than that we need to sign some more strikers & mid-fielders i.e Carrick if they can get him from the spurs, Vieira & Ibrahamovic if Juve gets relegated, Gilardino if he wants to come to England, Torres if he want sot come to England.
There is a thing called the edit/delate button? :laugh: :-O :p

Just kidding, it happens to the best of us :mellow: :-O .

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
the only one of those i can seriously see man utd getting is carrick, not sure why they would really want any of the rest of them bar torres anyway as theyre all overated or past it, not that vieira would ever seriously consider joining man utd anyway.

Craig

World Traveller
From what I read and watch of Zlatan he seems to be more the creator then the scorer, and scoring is one aspect he needs to improve on (and his temper). As for Gilardino, 46 goals in about 73 goals at Parma shows he has some pedigree about him, his first season was a struggle at a bigger club, and this season will make or break it for him IMO.

And what the hell am I doing defending a Juventus or Athletic & Cricket Milano players?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
Other than that we need to sign some more strikers & mid-fielders
So you want Rooney, a supremely in-form van Nistlerooy and more strikers?

For the record, I don't think van Nistlerooy will play there again - you don't cross "Sir" Alex and get away with it.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
marc71178 said:
So you want Rooney, a supremely in-form van Nistlerooy and more strikers?

For the record, I don't think van Nistlerooy will play there again - you don't cross "Sir" Alex and get away with it.
Are you trying to say he doesn't deserve knighthood? Don't talk rubbish.

As for you main point about RVN, though, agreed.

cpr

International Coach
To be fair, i dont think Ruud had crossed Fergie as much, it was more a falling out with Ronaldo and Fergie had to intervene. Ruud and Ronaldo have agreed to put it behind them, so Fergie has no reason to continue the spat.

We need some midfielders, thats for sure. Scholes is not the player he used to be (and his opponents are twice the players they were), Fletcher/O'Shea is not the answer to any holding role. We've been linked with Carrick and Mascareno (sp?), so thats a good sign. Torres is meant to be in the middle of a tug of war between us and Chelsea. We DO need another attacker, look at 1999 when we had the 4 rotating. 3 isnt enough, incase one (or 2 as has seemed to happen to us last season) get injured.

And on the Gossip front, remember United sacked the doctor in the Rooney/England row?? Well word around Old Trafford is that the England doctor is retiring after the WC, and this guys been lined up for the job, so it was a conflict of interest between employer/future employer, and fergie got wind of it and saw red. Be interesting to see if he does pop up in the England set up in August....

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
cpr said:
We need some midfielders, thats for sure. Scholes is not the player he used to be (and his opponents are twice the players they were), Fletcher/O'Shea is not the answer to any holding role. We've been linked with Carrick and Mascareno (sp?), so thats a good sign.
Yea hopefully we can get Carrick at least, since Zokora is going to the spurs it might help United cause. Also if the case in serie A reaches a stage where major clubs are relegated there is a chance Vieira could come, doubt whether we could get Pirlo since its not common for Italian players to the premiership.

Others outside options are Diarra & Ribery i guess..

cpr said:
Torres is meant to be in the middle of a tug of war between us and Chelsea. We DO need another attacker, look at 1999 when we had the 4 rotating. 3 isnt enough, incase one (or 2 as has seemed to happen to us last season) get injured.
Good point, we need strong depth in case of injuries i.e last season & if we are going to challenge Chelsea who have superb strenght in fowards

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tom Halsey said:
No, he doesn't deserve a knighthood when there are many other managers who did similar or better things when the PM didn't try to look cool and hand out honours to win votes.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tom Halsey said:

As for you main point about RVN, though, agreed.
If Brian Clough didn't get one, then Fergie certainly shouldn't have one - unless, of course, it's paid for with the same cheque book he used to buy the title all those times..

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
luckyeddie said:
If Brian Clough didn't get one, then Fergie certainly shouldn't have one - unless, of course, it's paid for with the same cheque book he used to buy the title all those times..
Nor did Bob Paisley get one and I think he won three European Cups. And who was Villa manager when they won it?

Usual pro-Man U ******** that got Fergie a knighthood, sick sick sick

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Nor did Bob Paisley get one and I think he won three European Cups. And who was Villa manager when they won it?

Usual pro-Man U ******** that got Fergie a knighthood, sick sick sick
**** Barton, Special Agent

All right, filter.

Didn't realise you were an Aston Vanilla supporter.

Tony Barton.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
luckyeddie said:
**** Barton, Special Agent

All right, filter.

Didn't realise you were an Aston Vanilla supporter.

Tony Barton.
Sorry Eddie you've lost me, but if you were referring to me, I am certainly not an Aston Vanilla supporter!

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Fergie's been the most successful British manager ever IMO. Winning the Treble isn't easy and United earned their money not like Chelsea. That's in relation to Marc's chequebook comment. Success begets reward and hatred.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Sorry Eddie you've lost me, but if you were referring to me, I am certainly not an Aston Vanilla supporter!
No, I was accusing the filter of being an Aston Vanilla supporter because it wouldn't let me cast nasturtiums at one of their former managers.

(it was in reply to your quiz question asking who the manager was at the time)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
roseboy64 said:
Fergie's been the most successful British manager ever IMO. Winning the Treble isn't easy and United earned their money not like Chelsea. That's in relation to Marc's chequebook comment. Success begets reward and hatred.
But the original success only came about after spending money!