• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2006-07

Craig

World Traveller
Theo Walcott's agent as denied that his client is to join West Brom on loan in return for them to buy Curtis Davis from Albion.

Craig

World Traveller
steds said:
He's a scouser. What do you expect?
Lol, this is probably the wrong thread, but what the heck, where did this reputation that Scousers have? ie stealing hub cabs etc., stomping on Johnson, throwing mobile phones etc.?

Do they all have a chip on their shoulder or what? Or they are so poor they go about stealing stuff, and act like bogans (which I can assume is a chav?). Or is is everybody making fun of them?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Craig said:
Lol, this is probably the wrong thread, but what the heck, where did this reputation that Scousers have? ie stealing hub cabs etc., stomping on Johnson, throwing mobile phones etc.?

Do they all have a chip on their shoulder or what? Or they are so poor they go about stealing stuff, and act like bogans (which I can assume is a chav?). Or is is everybody making fun of them?
It's basically 80s telly's fault. There were several programmes of varying quality that perpetuated the loveable, cheeky, work-shy, theiving scouser stereotype: Brookside, Bread, The Boys From The Black Stuff (which was actually very good). Then Harry Enfield did his "Scousers" sketch which summed all this up into two words (calm down), one item of clothing (the shellsuit) & a haircut (the Terry Mac perm & tache combo).

Us southerners used to taunt any vaguely northern team with "Sign on", sung to the tune of "You'll never walk alone":

Sign on, sign on
With your pen in your hand
'Cos you'll never get a job
You'll neeever get a job....

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
BoyBrumby said:
Us southerners used to taunt any vaguely northern team with "Sign on", sung to the tune of "You'll never walk alone":

Sign on, sign on
With your pen in your hand
'Cos you'll never get a job
You'll neeever get a job....
USED TO? It's all I ever hear, and it makes me chuckle so hearitly when I'm in a delightful town like Colchester or Southend, which are like the pits of England, to have that sung at me, from the Wirral. It's a stupid reputation. Brookside probably is to blame, but there's also the fact that Liverpool was economically ****ed in the 70s, like Manchester, yet this area seems to egt all the stick. All this even though Wirral and Liverpool are both great places, with great economies. Hoylake, Wirral hsots The Open next weekend, and Liverpool is the European Capital of Culture for 2008. Merseyside = great.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
GeraintIsMyHero said:
USED TO? It's all I ever hear, and it makes me chuckle so hearitly when I'm in a delightful town like Colchester or Southend, which are like the pits of England, to have that sung at me, from the Wirral. It's a stupid reputation. Brookside probably is to blame, but there's also the fact that Liverpool was economically ****ed in the 70s, like Manchester, yet this area seems to egt all the stick. All this even though Wirral and Liverpool are both great places, with great economies. Hoylake, Wirral hsots The Open next weekend, and Liverpool is the European Capital of Culture for 2008. Merseyside = great.
My personal favourite is "In your Liverpool slums", but I think I'd fall foul of the filter... :laugh:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yay the grecians beat Fulham.

I couldn't be arsed to turn up, so I ask Neil did Santos Gaia play, coz on the Fulham website it said he did, I thought we let him go.

If he did I'm happy, I think he gives us a real chance of scoring at set-pieces, and is a decent defender at this level. I'm glad Tisdale is correcting some of Inglethorpes bizarre decisions before he left.

Clay needs to be giving a chance too.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
BoyBrumby said:
My personal favourite is "In your Liverpool slums", but I think I'd fall foul of the filter... :laugh:
Not familiar with that one LOL

Funniest thing ever was when I went to Man City when I was about 15. Now Maine Road wasn't in the most pleasant area ever, in fact let's be brutally honest, it's in Moss Side, the biggest pit in England. And well, people think it's dead funny to wave notes at us "scousers" (not that we're scousers - read my signature - but that's what we get called) because apparently we're all poor. So to give this note waving any credibility, you use a £20 note. However, this smackhead looking Manc scrambled round in his pockets for about thirty seconds, before pulling out this torn, tatty fiver, and waving it delightfully at us. Oh how I chuckled.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Intertoto Cup, Round Three, St James' Park:

Newcastle Utd 1 (Luque 50)
Lillestrøm SK 1 (Koren 21)

There's actually some point to the Intertoto now that it doesn't take four matches to reach the UEFA Cup, but instead two (one for the seeded teams) to make the second qualifying round. Lillestrøm will go through to the UEFA Cup with 0-0 now - not totally unreachable at Åråsen.

Lillestrom: Muller, Winsnes (Kali 5), Rambekk, Andresen, Stefanutto, Riise (Wehrman 68), Sogard, Mouehli, Koren (Strand 60), Mifsud, Occean.

Only one spelling mistake by the BBC as well (Mouelhi), if you exclude the lack of European typeface (Müller, Lillestrøm, Søgård).

BoyBrumby

Englishman
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Not familiar with that one LOL

Funniest thing ever was when I went to Man City when I was about 15. Now Maine Road wasn't in the most pleasant area ever, in fact let's be brutally honest, it's in Moss Side, the biggest pit in England. And well, people think it's dead funny to wave notes at us "scousers" (not that we're scousers - read my signature - but that's what we get called) because apparently we're all poor. So to give this note waving any credibility, you use a £20 note. However, this smackhead looking Manc scrambled round in his pockets for about thirty seconds, before pulling out this torn, tatty fiver, and waving it delightfully at us. Oh how I chuckled.
You've been lucky!

In your Liverpool slums,
You look in the gutter for something to eat,
You find a dead rat and you think it's a treat,
In your Liverpool slums

In your Liverpool slums,
You **** on the carpet, you **** in the bath,
You finger your grandma, and think its a laugh,
In your Liverpool slums.

In your Liverpool slums,
You speak in an accent exceedingly rare,
You wear a pink tracksuit and have curly hair,
In your Liverpool slums.

In your Liverpool slums,
Your mum's on the game and your dad's in the nick,
You can't get a job 'cos you're too ****ing thick,
In your Liverpool slums.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
You've been lucky!

In your Liverpool slums,
You look in the gutter for something to eat,
You find a dead rat and you think it's a treat,
In your Liverpool slums

In your Liverpool slums,
You **** on the carpet, you **** in the bath,
You finger your grandma, and think its a laugh,
In your Liverpool slums.

In your Liverpool slums,
You speak in an accent exceedingly rare,
You wear a pink tracksuit and have curly hair,
In your Liverpool slums.

In your Liverpool slums,
Your mum's on the game and your dad's in the nick,
You can't get a job 'cos you're too ****ing thick,
In your Liverpool slums.
My word, football fans are creative. Rugby fans that come to St Helens usually carry a load of expletives and the word "scouse" thrown together in something vaguely resembling a tune (unless they're Warrington fans, who actually think they all are scousers themselves and are proud of it), and/or more often than not (due to there being many teams from over the pennines, the immortal "Yorkshire! Yorkshire! Yorkshire!" chant. Lyrical genius 8-) :unsure: ...

Edit: I particularly like the Wigan football fans' chant for their rugby loving brothers, to the tune of the Adams family theme.

They're stinky and they're smelly
They come from Scholes and Whelley
They haven't got a telly
The Wigan Warriors

His father is his brother
His sister is his mother
They like to **** each other
The Wigan Warriors

Last edited:

Loony BoB

International Captain
Loony BoB said:
14 July 2006
Pascal Zuberbuhler from FC Basel to West Bromwich Albion, free
Sam Sodje from Brentford to Reading, £350k
Abdoulaye Meite from Olympique Marseille to Bolton Wanderers
Also on 14 July 2006, added after my last post...
Dean Marney to Tottenham Hotspur to Hull City, Undisclosed

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
With the selling of Sodje Brentford sell their only remaining good player with the possible exception of Kevin Oconner. Meanwhile Newcastle cant beat a Norwegian team.
......im really looking forward to this season.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
grecian said:
Yay the grecians beat Fulham.

I couldn't be arsed to turn up, so I ask Neil did Santos Gaia play, coz on the Fulham website it said he did, I thought we let him go.

If he did I'm happy, I think he gives us a real chance of scoring at set-pieces, and is a decent defender at this level. I'm glad Tisdale is correcting some of Inglethorpes bizarre decisions before he left.

Clay needs to be giving a chance too.
Didn't go - spent the afternoon turning down LBW appeals in Newton Abbot.

I'm reliably informed (i.e. I know) that Santos Gaia weren't playing today - it's Fulham being not very organised/doing no research. Patrice Ada (trialist) partnered Jon Richardson at centre back - and by all accounts did enough to ensure we won't be investing any more time in looking at him.