• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mundine v Green

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
benchmark00 said:
Did you watch the fight? It was hardly an absolute hammering.
I'd say it was fairly close to one. After round 1, Mundine dominated, and it wasn't even close in the end. The judges were very nice to Green I thought, even in a unanimous points loss.

I picked up a bit with the betting win too, Mundine on points @ 3.10. Was a very polished performance from a quality boxer. He'll give Kessler a good run I think.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mr Casson said:
Depends whose side you're on.
Not really, considering every round was judged 10-9, the closest scoring margain.

Hammering would've had 10-8's littered throughout.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
benchmark00 said:
Not really, considering every round was judged 10-9, the closest scoring margain.

Hammering would've had 10-8's littered throughout.
You missed the point. I wasn't talking about the score.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Thought I might dig this up after tonight. Anyone else watch the Mundine fight?

He was excellent I thought. Looked really polished for a guy who hasn't been in the ring for six months, and handled Acosta's early charge really well. Looked totally comfortable at all times, and for all Acosta's huge swings he only landed one decent hit before he tired himself out.

The body shot that nailed him was absolutely brutal, and is definitely something that Mundine has improved a long way. If he fights Soliman again early next year it'll be a massacre. Kessler will be a great fight though.

Undercards were horrible tonight though. One mismatch after another.

Last edited:

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There was an article today in the Courier Mail about how Australia's no.2 boxer in Mundines division (can't remember his name) wanted a peice of "the man". Last time they fought, Mundine won on points, and this guy has won 17 bouts since then, and claims that while they've both improved a lot, he's improved more than Mundine, and reckons he would win by TKO inside 5/6 rounds.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Clapo said:
There was an article today in the Courier Mail about how Australia's no.2 boxer in Mundines division (can't remember his name) wanted a peice of "the man". Last time they fought, Mundine won on points, and this guy has won 17 bouts since then, and claims that while they've both improved a lot, he's improved more than Mundine, and reckons he would win by TKO inside 5/6 rounds.
That's Sam Soliman. The last time they fought it was very even and Mundine was probably a little lucky to win, but Mundine is miles better now. It'll be no contest, IMO. The real challenge for Mundine will be Kessler, if and when they fight.

Having said that, Mundine will fight early next year for a vacant title, and Soliman is fairly likely to be the person he fights. Mundine said tonight that he will be fighting for that title, and he'll fight whoever the number one challenger is at that time, as he's currently ranked #1 in the division but nobody holds the title. So if it's Soliman, we'll see how it goes then, and if it's not he hasn't done enough to get a shot at the title anyway.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah thats the guy. He's obviously on himself if he thinks he's going to thrash Mundine though, i wish him luck as the few fights i've seen of Mundines he's been unstoppable.

When you say "if & when" he fights Kessler, are you suggesting that Kessler won't fight him?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Clapo said:
Yeah thats the guy. He's obviously on himself if he thinks he's going to thrash Mundine though, i wish him luck as the few fights i've seen of Mundines he's been unstoppable.

When you say "if & when" he fights Kessler, are you suggesting that Kessler won't fight him?
Not really, it's more that there's not a clear cut date on which he definitely will fight Kessler again. If he fight Soliman in March and beats him he will probably fight Kessler soon after that, but it depends on a bunch of things. I certainly hope he does though, it'll be a massive fight. Mundine's mentioned a few times that he wants to drop down to Middleweight, and if he does that he probably won't ever fight Kessler, so it has to happen before that.

Regarding Soliman, it's really in his interests to talk himself up. Mundine is the biggest drawcard in Australian boxing (obviously), and any fight against Mundine at this point will be a title fight, because he's ranked 1st in a vacant division. So obviously Soliman wants to fight him whether he is confident or not, because it'll be worth a heap of money to him and potentially a title as well. I wouldn't put too much stock in his confidence, in other words.