• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rugby

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Matteh said:
That applies to Union as well though - if a opposing player puts the ball into the try area, a member of the defending team can touch it down (sort of like an own try in a way, only no points are deducted or anything) and then get put in at a scrum on the 22 line.
No, it doesn't - learn the rules.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
GoT_SpIn said:
it should of been a 22 drop out. Not a scrum
We were actively encouraged not to kick the ball - i think it was an attempt to make us realise it wasn't football or something. Took about a year before we were even allowed to take conversions.:mellow:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Matteh said:
We were actively encouraged not to kick the ball - i think it was an attempt to make us realise it wasn't football or something. Took about a year before we were even allowed to take conversions.:mellow:
:laugh: But its in the rules..Strange

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
An English coach NOT wanting his team to kick? Has he now been banished from the sidelines?

Matteh

No idea - allegedly he got kicked out of one school due to some instance with some girls but that's probably utter rubbish.
I was easily the best kicker + #8 in the 2nds - i think the reason about forcing us to play hand to hand rugby in order to make us forget our football skills is probably why tbh.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, but it's in the rules - and it's a handy skill to practice ie, trying to get the ball back from kickoffs. Very strange, I reckon.

Matteh

We always did centre kicks - but kicking it other than that for the first year we played was completely forbidden, they used to actually give penalties against you for it. Then the next year we could kick, and i could be almost anyway and kick the ball into the corner from a penalty and i was one of only two people that could actually do conversions.

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Matteh said:
We always did centre kicks - but kicking it other than that for the first year we played was completely forbidden, they used to actually give penalties against you for it. Then the next year we could kick, and i could be almost anyway and kick the ball into the corner from a penalty and i was one of only two people that could actually do conversions.
That would have sucked ***. The U-10s I coach are discouraged when it comes to kicking, but we don't penalise them.

God, I do not know how I would survive a Rugby game without the option of kicking that ball away.

Matteh

KennyD said:
That would have sucked ***. The U-10s I coach are discouraged when it comes to kicking, but we don't penalise them.

God, I do not know how I would survive a Rugby game without the option of kicking that ball away.
When we were actually allowed to kick it people used to do it quite a bit, because it made a lot more sense to kick it into the corner from a penalty on the half way line than to do the move which allows you to run from where you are.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
I have a question about Union.

Who the **** are the Barbarians?
They're an invitational team. There are Barbarians clubs in most countries - and the members of the committee chose players from wherever they like for matches (which were usually tour-enders). The British Baabaas are the most famous of the Barbarian teams, and used to have a tradition of picking at least one uncapped player in each side. The invited players wear their own club’s socks.

Son Of Coco

Matteh said:
It's a commonly accepted fact that Union is one to take an interest in above any others.....
this usually only applies to the Pimms drinking, smoked caviar eating set! :happy:

Son Of Coco

Voltman said:
Reporting and the media has become a lot more personality-driven. Which is why the son of a former All Black and commentator makes the front page of the Dom.
Yes, as someone once said re: the media - 'The distinction between news & entertainment and the separation of objectivity and opinion are in danger of disappearing'

I just wanted to type that quote really! Been dying to since Beaconsfield. :happy: