• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rugby Hater's Thread

pasag

RTDAS
The Foxtrot said:
on the otherhand, I am a football (as in soccer) loving fan.....i wont even begin to say anything about the amount of coverage we get.....
None?

I think foxtel just signed a multi million dollar soccer deal with the FFA. But then you have to get cable.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
The Foxtrot said:
i dont see why you guys need to go to great efforts to have a cry about rugby, i mean, Mr Casson surely would have known what kind of response he would have gotten.

FOr all those following suit, if you dont like it find something else to do, what our family often does if the lions are losing on one channel and the broncos are on the other channel then we go hire a movie from the store.....simple as that....no need to watch a game you dont like.....like voltman put it Get Over yourselves"

on the otherhand, I am a football (as in soccer) loving fan.....i wont even begin to say anything about the amount of coverage we get.....
Rugby doesn't bother me in my day to day life. It's just when I come into OT to look at and respond to some interesting threads and they get buried beneath a plethora of rugby threads. That's all it was.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
mundaneyogi said:
The tackle and play-the-ball is over in a few seconds, and then play is continued. A union ruck and maul takes the same amount of time, if not longer, with two maddening drawbacks - it's almost impossible to tell what's going on in there, and half the time it ends in yet another incomprehensible penalty, which results in yet another kick, and yet another lineout. Hardly free flowing.
Exactly. The amount of time the ball was actually in play in a rugby match was timed last year and it was a total of 31 minutes out of the full 80. Of course, it's always claimed that the ball is technically still in play while it's in the ruck and people are lying on top of each other with nothing happening, but that often takes a lot longer than a tackle and play the ball in league.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Of course, it's always claimed that the ball is technically still in play while it's in the ruck and people are lying on top of each other with nothing happening
But there are things happening.

Head stompings, big ruck marks being put on the backs of idiots who lie on the ball, players coming in with shoulder charges... :D

Son Of Coco

FaaipDeOiad said:
As with benchmark, I don't mind Union so much. It's not really my game, and I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it, but I don't object to it. It ranks behind soccer and alongside stuff like basketball and tennis for me, that I don't dislike but I'm relatively indifferent towards.

Rugby League on the other hand I really can't stand. It's just an amazingly dull and simplistic game. It's basically Union with all the strategy, speed and pretty much every other interesting element taken out, until it's a slow, boring repetition of big heavy guys running into one another. Union is free-flowing at least, and that makes it enjoyable to watch, but league just has nothing for me. Probably my least favourite sport.
See, I watch rugby and think the skills are poor and the defence is absolutely terrible. I remember watching Larkham throw a simple inside pass and Gordon Bray nearly lost it completely and I thought 'That looked like it was in slow motion'...I do like scrums that are actually contested though. I've always thought they decided to call it 'The Running Game' as a bit of a smokescreen to cover the fact that they rarely ever do. Considering the quality of the defence on show on a lot of occasions there's really no need to kick a drop goal when you have an overlap (Jonny Wilkinson vs France - World Cup Semi Final England leading by 9 with 5 minutes to go!).

Anyway, as Burkey said - each to their own! :happy:

Son Of Coco

Voltman said:

Head stompings, big ruck marks being put on the backs of idiots who lie on the ball, players coming in with shoulder charges... :D
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Has anyone ever given birth in one of those things? :happy:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Son Of Coco said:
See, I watch rugby and think the skills are poor and the defence is absolutely terrible. I remember watching Larkham throw a simple inside pass and Gordon Bray nearly lost it completely and I thought 'That looked like it was in slow motion'...I do like scrums that are actually contested though. I've always thought they decided to call it 'The Running Game' as a bit of a smokescreen to cover the fact that they rarely ever do. Considering the quality of the defence on show on a lot of occasions there's really no need to kick a drop goal when you have an overlap (Jonny Wilkinson vs France - World Cup Semi Final England leading by 9 with 5 minutes to go!).

Anyway, as Burkey said - each to their own! :happy:
Yeah, but that's England. Their first instinct is to go for drop goals... if you saw Wilkinson play for the Lions against NZ last year, he was drop-goal happy - I'm sure it's ingrained into his psyche. Pity he couldn't get any of them.

Son Of Coco

Voltman said:
Yeah, but that's England. Their first instinct is to go for drop goals... if you saw Wilkinson play for the Lions against NZ last year, he was drop-goal happy - I'm sure it's ingrained into his psyche. Pity he couldn't get any of them.
The should be banned. Or allocated a drop goal limit. Any more than 2 a match and the points start going onto the other team's score.

Blaze

Banned
Son Of Coco said:
The should be banned. Or allocated a drop goal limit. Any more than 2 a match and the points start going onto the other team's score.
:laugh:

They should be worth 1 point like league. Should only be used to split the difference between the two sides.

Craig

World Traveller
Voltman said:

...Or biting ears

*Adopting South African accent*

"You know some salt and pepper would really go well with Sean Fitzpatick's ear"

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Son Of Coco said:
To be fair, we suffered more than most on the receiving end of drops (Janie de Beer, '99 QF, 5 IIRC) & this has obviously had a lasting psychological affect on young Jonny.

I don't like 'em overly because they are more or less impossible to defend properly. One point seems fair enough to me.