• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rugby Hater's Thread

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Not really, no. In League, the game comes to a complete halt every time someone is successfully tackled, while in Union it keeps going. League is the slowest football code in the world behind NFL, simply because of that. There's no run and there's no flow to the game, it's broken up into individual plays like NFL is. Union on the other hand flows consistently as a game. Yes there are stoppages when someone kicks to touch or whatever, but in between those interruptions the game keeps moving. It's the slowness which is one of the major reasons I find League totally unwatchable, it just puts me to sleep.
The tackle and play-the-ball is over in a few seconds, and then play is continued. A union ruck and maul takes the same amount of time, if not longer, with two maddening drawbacks - it's almost impossible to tell what's going on in there, and half the time it ends in yet another incomprehensible penalty, which results in yet another kick, and yet another lineout. Hardly free flowing.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I do like watching both union and league.

However, the reason I prefer union (aside from the saturation coverage it gets in NZ, which pulls you in) is the contestability factor. Unlike league, where there's a 90-95% chance you'll get the ball back when you go into the tackle (due to stripping being illegal, unless one-on-one), I like the fact that there is a contest for possession at the breakdown. It brings the two extra players on each side (the flankers) into play, and if you have faster and more accurate opensides in particular, they can get you ball which the opposition might have otherwise had.

In saying that, the ruck is very messy in union at the moment, and there needs to become some clearer laws so players (and spectators) can be aware of when a ball can be contested and when it can't.

Both codes have learned things off each other, but I certainly don't like the move being made with some of the experimental laws being tried in South Africa - particularly the experimental law where rolling mauls will be able to be collapsed. That's just asking for serious neck injuries.

Dick Rockett

Voltman said:
Unlike league, where there's a 90-95% chance you'll get the ball back when you go into the tackle (due to stripping being illegal, unless one-on-one)
That has to be the case with the attacking side being limited to 6 tackles in possession, otherwise the game will descend into nothing more than big gangs of guys rolling around on the ground trying to steal the ball from one another.

Wait a minute, that's union ;)

Craig

World Traveller
pasag said:
I absolutly hate rugby. It has got to be the stupidist game ever alive. The only thing dumber than the game is the people who play it. Who would want to watch a game with 150 kilo yobbos running into each other, I mean it was funny the first time I wathed it but now its just mega lame. I dont even know why they put it on TV in Melbourne, I have never met a melburnian who like rugby.

I also think this is the greatest thread ever made. I mean how could anyone like a game where people stick fingers up other peoples butts.

I hope I havent offened anybodies religion.
At what 12.30am? Of course the sport isn't going to grow when we have people with closed minds and with the notion that AFL is the greatest thing since sliced bread and showing at such a time. Try watching a game and try to understand it and then you can have an informed opinion.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
If anything, union gets more *decent* TV time than League. Because Channel 7 doesn't have the AFL any more (well, till next year), over the past 5 years they've shown Wallabies games live into Melbourne in prime time on weekends. As opposed to Channel 9, who don't show any league games before midnight, except Origins' which start at about 11pm. Even tests are after midnight.

Craig

World Traveller
FaaipDeOiad said:
Not really, no. In League, the game comes to a complete halt every time someone is successfully tackled, while in Union it keeps going. League is the slowest football code in the world behind NFL, simply because of that. There's no run and there's no flow to the game, it's broken up into individual plays like NFL is. Union on the other hand flows consistently as a game. Yes there are stoppages when someone kicks to touch or whatever, but in between those interruptions the game keeps moving. It's the slowness which is one of the major reasons I find League totally unwatchable, it just puts me to sleep.
You get up and play the ball and pass/kick/do whatever with the ball straight away, it is not as though the ref calls for the game to stop, another set of players run out or they all catch their brief, the defensive line re-sets and the ref blows time on and play continues, just like an AFL if a player recieves the ball and gets tackled, goes to ground and releases, it is all over very quickly.

As for no run, well last week there was two long distance try's in the Storm v Dragons match so obviously there is some flow (although the conditions were poor because of the rain) to the game and only somebody who has watched very little of league would make such a comment.

I could rant and rave about AFL as what sort of sport is it if you get a point for missing a goal and getting called a 'behind', but I don't and won't.

As for union flowing consistently as a game, well IIRC a Queensland Reds game finished (I believe they lost I can't remember) 10-6! What the...

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
mundaneyogi said:
That has to be the case with the attacking side being limited to 6 tackles in possession, otherwise the game will descend into nothing more than big gangs of guys rolling around on the ground trying to steal the ball from one another.

Wait a minute, that's union ;)
Heavens to Bestsy (cheers for that, Hogan), you wouldn't want a contest, would you? :p

I believe league is a faster game, in so much as the ball is in play more often, and play-the-balls are generally quicker than a ruck (and definitely quicker than a maul) as a way of recycling the ball. However, league in itself is more predictable - its laws declaring the ball must be turned over after six tackles dictate that. As I said, union needs to sort out some of its laws, but I feel it's a more organic game to watch.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
vic_orthdox said:
If anything, union gets more *decent* TV time than League. Because Channel 7 doesn't have the AFL any more (well, till next year), over the past 5 years they've shown Wallabies games live into Melbourne in prime time on weekends. As opposed to Channel 9, who don't show any league games before midnight, except Origins' which start at about 11pm. Even tests are after midnight.
Which reminds of a phrase I hade for Channel Nine - Channel Nien (or Nein my German isn't too good).

Dick Rockett

Voltman said:
Heavens to Bestsy (cheers for that, Hogan), you wouldn't want a contest, would you? :p

I believe league is a faster game, in so much as the ball is in play more often, and play-the-balls are generally quicker than a ruck (and definitely quicker than a maul) as a way of recycling the ball. However, league in itself is more predictable - its laws declaring the ball must be turned over after six tackles dictate that. As I said, union needs to sort out some of its laws, but I feel it's a more organic game to watch.
A mature and level-headed response from you, wouldn't expect anything else :)

Although I've always preferred league, I used to have some sympathy for the "predictable" tag, but I don't think that's true anymore. With the introduction of 40-20s the game has changed to the point where the 6 tackle limit often doesn't matter. So many sides are choosing to kick the ball earlier in the count. The funny thing is, they often aren't aiming for 40-20s when they do so, I've noticed a lot more chip and chase from within the attacking team's own half, for example.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Craig said:
And the last time they showed that was when?
They cut the fish? A true loss. In that case I would rather watch big brother up late with that moron who looks half stoned presenting, than rugby.

Linda

Grew up with AFL, so didnt really have a choice but to love it... League coverage is pretty much non-existant, so I just assume that I hate it.

Craig

World Traveller
pasag said:
They cut the fish? A true loss. In that case I would rather watch big brother up late with that moron who looks half stoned presenting, than rugby.
Your choice I guess.

TBF I was brought up in the opposite way with Union and League and probably now I prefer League, but I will always watch a Union game if I have the chance, but since one of my good friends is a Brisbane Lions (boo hiss you might say, but maybe not if you were a Fitzroy fan) and I have worked with people who are AFL fans so I have a passing interest. I have been to a couple of games, I know the teams and most of the players but I wouldn't call myself fan as such.

pasag

RTDAS
Well, I was thinking about it today during a really, really boring lecture why infact I hate rugby. I dont think there is a solid answer and it definitley should be examined should I ever require therapy.:happy:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: This has just turned into another rugby thread.
Yeah i know, it got started because there was too many rugby threads and now they just started another one.

Well Done, Mr Casson. :laugh:

The Foxtrot

U19 12th Man
i dont see why you guys need to go to great efforts to have a cry about rugby, i mean, Mr Casson surely would have known what kind of response he would have gotten.

FOr all those following suit, if you dont like it find something else to do, what our family often does if the lions are losing on one channel and the broncos are on the other channel then we go hire a movie from the store.....simple as that....no need to watch a game you dont like.....like voltman put it Get Over yourselves"

on the otherhand, I am a football (as in soccer) loving fan.....i wont even begin to say anything about the amount of coverage we get.....