• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rugby Hater's Thread

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
As with benchmark, I don't mind Union so much. It's not really my game, and I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it, but I don't object to it. It ranks behind soccer and alongside stuff like basketball and tennis for me, that I don't dislike but I'm relatively indifferent towards.

Rugby League on the other hand I really can't stand. It's just an amazingly dull and simplistic game. It's basically Union with all the strategy, speed and pretty much every other interesting element taken out, until it's a slow, boring repetition of big heavy guys running into one another. Union is free-flowing at least, and that makes it enjoyable to watch, but league just has nothing for me. Probably my least favourite sport.

Buddhmaster

International Captain
I like all sports mentioned besides soccer and curling, so all i'll say is this. chaminda_00 would get smashed in any type of contact sport, so much like Borcich, should not comment on this issue.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Union is free-flowing at least
Yeah, like: Kick to to touch, lineout, maul, kick to touch, lineout, kick to touch, lineout, spread it wide, penalty, take the 3, knock on, several collapsed scrums, kick to touch, lineout, kick to touch, lineout, maul, etc.

The backs get limited opportunites to run (although that's also true for centres and winger in the majority of NRL games I've seen) and rucks are messy and take years to get the ball out.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I like Rugby, but it ranks behind Cricket, Badminton and Soccer as my fave sport..

I don't see how you can passionately hate a sport.. Im with anyone who takes an interest in sport, whatever it is.. After all, you have to admire competition, fair play, team spirit, whatever sport it happens to be..

I guess you can hate a culture that goes with a sport.. I love soccer/football, but can't stand the cheating/loutish/drink culture that goes with it, therefore I tend to shy away from the top competitions.. I guess people can get sick and tired when anything is celebrated over and over again, like reality TV or a film..

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
I don't see how you can passionately hate a sport.. ..
Its to do with the Australian Culture the us v them culture for AFL and the rugby codes (as well as Football now). They all seem to want the same piece of the cake, but no one wants to share. From some reason people can't accept the other sports, either you like AFL, League or Union. We have these petty little fights all the time, what is the better football code and so on.

pasag

RTDAS
Yeah its ingraned into my heratige and culture. I hate rugby but I cant really explain why. Everytime I get annoyed, its irrational I know. But it is very deep-seated.

I dont think Rugby fans hate AFL as much as AFL fans hate Rugby (excluding those who like both)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I love Union & League, so obviously this isn't the thread for me.

Personally I can do without AFL, NFL or Gaelic Football, but I see that as more of a failing on my part rather than on the individual sports'. I wasn't exposed to those footballing codes at a sufficiently early age for the germ of interest to grow. I think, at some level, for one to enjoy sport one has to be able to imagine one's self playing it. As I've never had the faintest interest in these other footballing codes, I've never imagined myself playing them so therefore I derived no enjoyment from watching them.

These other codes have their own culture, their own rules & their own nuances, all of which are utterly alien to me. I won't say "they're inferior sports" because that would be at best a subjective call & at worst untrue. All I can say is "I don't much care for or understand them".

For me tho, and here I claim the moral highground, it should be enough to say "I love AFL/NFL/Gaelic Football/Bullfighting" & not have to say "I hate Rugby".

Blaze

Banned
marc71178 said:
I don't hate either code, but do wonder if we really need threads for individual games, we don't even have that in Cricket Chat!
That thread is there because there is only one big Test match in Rugby League before November.

And there has been plenty of activity in the thread so there shouldn't be a problem.

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
steds said:
Yeah, like: Kick to to touch, lineout, maul, kick to touch, lineout, kick to touch, lineout, spread it wide, penalty, take the 3, knock on, several collapsed scrums, kick to touch, lineout, kick to touch, lineout, maul, etc.
Thats called "English Rugby".

KennyD

Buddhmaster said:
so all i'll say is this. chaminda_00 would get smashed in any type of contact sport, so much like Borcich, should not comment on this issue.
Quite. Very true there young Alex, who is rather the golden nugget.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
FaaipDeOiad said:
Rugby League on the other hand I really can't stand. It's just an amazingly dull and simplistic game. It's basically Union with all the strategy, speed and pretty much every other interesting element taken out, until it's a slow, boring repetition of big heavy guys running into one another. Union is free-flowing at least, and that makes it enjoyable to watch, but league just has nothing for me. Probably my least favourite sport.
Union free flowing and league not?
I think you may have that the wrong way around...

Dick Rockett

KennyD said:
Thats called "English Rugby".
Nope, that sounds like all rugby. That was pretty much an exact description of the Hurricanes vs Brumbies game I tried to watch a couple of weeks ago, until I gave up in frustration.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Not really, no. In League, the game comes to a complete halt every time someone is successfully tackled, while in Union it keeps going. League is the slowest football code in the world behind NFL, simply because of that. There's no run and there's no flow to the game, it's broken up into individual plays like NFL is. Union on the other hand flows consistently as a game. Yes there are stoppages when someone kicks to touch or whatever, but in between those interruptions the game keeps moving. It's the slowness which is one of the major reasons I find League totally unwatchable, it just puts me to sleep.

Dick Rockett

FaaipDeOiad said:
As with benchmark, I don't mind Union so much. It's not really my game, and I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it, but I don't object to it. It ranks behind soccer and alongside stuff like basketball and tennis for me, that I don't dislike but I'm relatively indifferent towards.

Simplistic? So is tennis, so is basketball, so are many other sports. That's a poor reason to dislike one sport but not another.

I could post on here until the cows come home about why union sucks, and why it sure as heck isn't free flowing, but I think I'll leave it at this.