• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How would the Rugby guys fare in the NFL

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Okay there was this discussion I was having with a US guy. He said that he saw a Kiwi rugby player run. Now the player was huge. And yet he could run well.

Much better than NFL guys can.

So how would rugby guys fare in the NFL. Also the opposite though that is not more pertinent.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
The Yank was probably thinking of Jonah Lomu, who launched rugby into the marketing stratosphere at the 1995 World Cup, and almost single-handedly convinced Rupert Murdoch to enter into the bidding war to turn rugby professional. Lomu actually ended up in discussions with the Dallas Cowboys, but nothing ever came of it.

I'd say, by and large, most rugby players would be too small for the NFL. There may be some exceptions - Rokocoko, for one, is almost 100kg, but is still very quick - but I'd think they'd be restricted to kicking and punting roles. Speaking of which, South African great Naas Botha ended up flirting with kicking in the NFL, I believe.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
AFL players would be better for the more skillful parts of NFL, i.e. not blocking.

The ball is pointed, similar to an AFL ball (although more pointed). AFL players are quick, strong and obviously good at catching a ball. They'd be suited to the position which catches the ball but also the defenders in AFL would also be able to play the defensive roles in NFL. They'd also be handy at being the kickers, as shown by the fact we all ready have two kickers in the NFL as we speak, Darryn Bennett and Ben Graham.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Meh, i like to think that i make a difference.

what i meant is that there is no hard tackling in AFl, wouldn't they struggle in the NFL where big hits are common?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
GoT_SpIn said:
Meh, i like to think that i make a difference.

what i meant is that there is no hard tackling in AFl, wouldn't they struggle in the NFL where big hits are common?
While there isn't as much body contact as the rugby codes, there's still enough to think that the players certainly wouldn't shy away from it, let alone when you add in all the padding and stuff.

The notion that AFL is soft is ridiculous. Anyone who plays AFL probably would have been happy to play a rugby (or Gridiron, or whatever) if they were brought up to love that sport, and vice versa. It's not as though people choose Aussie Rules because they think they're less likely to get hurt, it's just that - in most circumstances - they were brought up to love a sport.

Except for Lewis Roberts-Thompson, he's a completely different matter.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
While there isn't as much body contact as the rugby codes, there's still enough to think that the players certainly wouldn't shy away from it, let alone when you add in all the padding and stuff.

The notion that AFL is soft is ridiculous. Anyone who plays AFL probably would have been happy to play a rugby (or Gridiron, or whatever) if they were brought up to love that sport, and vice versa. It's not as though people choose Aussie Rules because they think they're less likely to get hurt, it's just that - in most circumstances - they were brought up to love a sport.

Didn't say it wasnt, but Rugby and AFL also have different styles of tackling while i think Rugby players would be more suited to the NFL style.

benchmark00

As far as i'm aware, shirtfront's are illegal in union, they are not in AFL. I'm trying to chase down Byron Picketts shirtfront on Brendan Krummell for evidence, so far, no luck.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
benchmark00 said:
As far as i'm aware, shirtfront's are illegal in union, they are not in AFL. I'm trying to chase down Byron Picketts shirtfront on Brendan Krummell for evidence, so far, no luck.
Mind you, that shirtfront was deemed illegal, and he received two weeks.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
benchmark00 said:
What?

benchmark00

GoT_SpIn said:
How hard is that to understand? In union, you have to tackle if youre attacking front on, in AFL you're allowed to hip and shoulder them from front on, which can (and usually is) be far more damaging than a tackle.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
vic_orthdox said:

Care to explain that one to a bewildered Pom? :huh:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Care to explain that one to a bewildered Pom? :huh:
His one of those great Swans players that won the flag (championship) last season. But like most ALF players his pretty soft, even though he played a lot of rugby as a junior.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
benchmark00 said:
How hard is that to understand? In union, you have to tackle if youre attacking front on, in AFL you're allowed to hip and shoulder them from front on, which can (and usually is) be far more damaging than a tackle.
Right. So getting speared is not damaging. Also its easier to avoid a shoulder charge as you can run basically where ever you want