• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How would the Rugby guys fare in the NFL

Swervy

International Captain
benchmark00 said:
Training is obviously crucial. I wouldn't suggest for a second that you could just grab a player and stick him in a game without learning the basic skills of the game. I'm saying that AFL players, more so than rugby players, have the body shape to fill some of the positions.
fair enough

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
vic_orthdox said:
AFL players (and to a lesser extent, rugby players) are made to compete non-stop for 2 hours (80 minutes), while NFL is more like a series of sprints. I'd doubt that any NFL player could run a level 14/15 on the beep test, just as I doubt an AFL player could run sub 3 second 20m sprints carrying the weight that NFL players need to.

That's the bottom line. (Well, guess technically this is).
Exactly!

To convert the allround athleticism of AFL players with their well developed Lactic-acid and aerobic energy system to the level that the NFL players have with their creatine phosphate energy system would be just about impossible at the ages at which AFL players would want to make a change to playing Gridiron.

I wouldn't mind seeing some of those NFL running players counter-attacking from fullback in Rugby though.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
....ever increasingly big and powerful QBs (daunte Culpepper, now QB for the Dolphins, weighs about 270lb without an oz. of fat on him).....
Ben Rothlisberger :)

ash chaulk

International Captain
just to clear things up there are THREE aussies in the NFL

Bennett (he maybe retired tho)
Graham and
Matt McBriar (Dallas Cowboys)

COLLEGE: McBriar was the Hawaii Rainbows punter for three years, averaging 42.2 yards on 131 career punts, with 32 punts downed inside the 20-yard line. He earned All-Western Athletic Conference honors as a senior after averaging 44.8 yards on 48 punts (2,148 yards) with 12 kicks downed inside the 20-yard line. As a junior, he earned second-team All-WAC honors after averaging 43.4 yards on 40 punts with 10 downed inside the 20-yard line. He began his collegiate football career in 2000 by punting 43 times for 1,647 yards (38.3 avg.) with 10 kicks downed inside the 20. He attended Deakin University in Australia for three semesters before venturing to Hawaii.

PERSONAL: McBriar graduated from Brighton Grammar School in Melbourne, Australia in 1997, where he earned full color (lettered) four times in football and rowing. The Melbourne, Australia, native credits former San Diego Chargers punter Darren Bennett for assisting him to pursue a college football career. McBriar is the second Australian to play for the Cowboys, joining former punter/kicker Colin Ridgway (1965), and is just the fourth player in NFL history from Down Under (Bennett, Ridgway and DT Colin Scotts with the St. Louis Cardinals in 1987). McBriar has become active in the Dallas-Fort Worth community since joining the team including attending the MDA Muscle Team Bash hosted by former Cowboy and FOX Sports announcer Daryl Johnston, participating in the Cowboys annual Draft Day Party hosted in appreciation of the team's loyal fans and attending the Taste of the NFL: The Ultimate Dallas Cowboys Tailgate Party hosted by teammate La'Roi Glover and Abacus restaurant benefiting The North Texas Food Bank.

Last edited:

ash chaulk

International Captain
a link to the aussies playing in the Gridiron big leagues http://www.gridironaustralia.org.au/alumni.asp

oh and theres plenty more

University of Hawaii comes out every year for a scouting training session in sydney they'll be here in july.

in our australian leagues we have plenty Aussie rules and rugby players playing. TBH the rugby players play usually RB Line Backer the Aussie rules players are at WR Corner Back, Safety.

i dont think any pro rugby/AFL players could make NFL the techniques are that much different it would be too hard to shake somethink thats drilled into you.

Myself ive played for aus against germany and they had plenty of NFL Europe players (part-time pro) and the speed the technique the all round ability of those players was physco. http://www.ifaf.info/download/Stats071505_GER_AUS.pdf the stats are the proof.

and Aus vs France http://www.ifaf.info/download/071705_FRAAUS_Gamebook.pdf

i didnt do too much 1 catch in each game

but i scored a TD in our 48-2 thrashing of New Zealand

Last edited:

Swervy

International Captain
ash chaulk said:
a link to the aussies playing in the Gridiron big leagues http://www.gridironaustralia.org.au/alumni.asp

oh and theres plenty more

University of Hawaii comes out every year for a scouting training session in sydney they'll be here in july.

in our australian leagues we have plenty Aussie rules and rugby players playing. TBH the rugby players play usually RB Line Backer the Aussie rules players are at WR Corner Back, Safety.

i dont think any pro rugby/AFL players could make NFL the techniques are that much different it would be too hard to shake somethink thats drilled into you.

Myself ive played for aus against germany and they had plenty of NFL Europe players (part-time pro) and the speed the technique the all round ability of those players was physco. http://www.ifaf.info/download/Stats071505_GER_AUS.pdf the stats are the proof.

and Aus vs France http://www.ifaf.info/download/071705_FRAAUS_Gamebook.pdf

i didnt do too much 1 catch in each game

but i scored a TD in our 48-2 thrashing of New Zealand
a tough time running the ball vs Germany!!!!!!!