• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How would the Rugby guys fare in the NFL

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Son Of Coco said:
Maybe he actually said 'GET SOME TIPS' to the woman in the nightclub, and she left before he could add '...like these stunning little reddish numbers I'm sporting!'.
:laugh:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Son Of Coco said:
Maybe he actually said 'GET SOME TIPS' to the woman in the nightclub, and she left before he could add '...like these stunning little reddish numbers I'm sporting!'.
Maybe she was frazzled when she went outside and happened to see the visiting Mark Gasnier and three other "toey humans" in a cab.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Voltman said:
Maybe she was frazzled when she went outside and happened to see the visiting Mark Gasnier and three other "toey humans" in a cab.
Yes, or freaked out when Ben Cousins offered her a lift home.

It's also entirely possible Wendell threw up on her.

benchmark00

Swervy said:
I am very familiar with the AFL, but they simply do not have the physical strengths to play in any of the main skill positions in the NFL, AFL players are just not built in the same way....AFL players are buildt more like middle distance runners compared sprinter like NFL players, because the NFL is much more explosive
Errr...I suggest you look at the body shapes of the midfield players.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think an AFL player could transfer straight away to the NFL, but certainly some have the body shape for it and if they had grown up in the USA could very well be playing a high level of gridiron.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
AFL players (and to a lesser extent, rugby players) are made to compete non-stop for 2 hours (80 minutes), while NFL is more like a series of sprints. I'd doubt that any NFL player could run a level 14/15 on the beep test, just as I doubt an AFL player could run sub 3 second 20m sprints carrying the weight that NFL players need to.

That's the bottom line. (Well, guess technically this is).

benchmark00

vic_orthdox said:
AFL players (and to a lesser extent, rugby players) are made to compete non-stop for 2 hours (80 minutes), while NFL is more like a series of sprints. I'd doubt that any NFL player could run a level 14/15 on the beep test, just as I doubt an AFL player could run sub 3 second 20m sprints carrying the weight that NFL players need to.

I disagree. Do you honestly think Judd and Crawf (in his prime) couldn't do what the wide receivers do?

Swervy

International Captain
vic_orthdox said:

thats exactly right, the explosivness of the NFL isnt in either rugby code or the AFL. Each player has in the NFL a specific role to play on every play and must execute that with precision and speed. For a lot of players, all energy has to be concentrated in maybe just 5 or 6 plays in a half an hour period...its that explosiveness that AFL players couldnt live with.

And on the other side of the coin, there wouldnt be too many NFL players who are built to run around a huge expanse of ground for a couple of hours.

The original question I think was whether top rugby players or AFL players could match it up in the NFL, the answer has to be no

Son Of Coco

Swervy said:
thats exactly right, the explosivness of the NFL isnt in either rugby code or the AFL. Each player has in the NFL a specific role to play on every play and must execute that with precision and speed. For a lot of players, all energy has to be concentrated in maybe just 5 or 6 plays in a half an hour period...its that explosiveness that AFL players couldnt live with.

And on the other side of the coin, there wouldnt be too many NFL players who are built to run around a huge expanse of ground for a couple of hours.

The original question I think was whether top rugby players or AFL players could match it up in the NFL, the answer has to be no
Do some of the forwards in the NFL execute the eating of 20 or 25 hamburgers with precision and speed. They're bloody massive! :happy:

Swervy

International Captain
benchmark00 said:
I disagree. Do you honestly think Judd and Crawf (in his prime) couldn't do what the wide receivers do?
its a silly comparison. The ball(which is pretty rock hard in fact) is thrown at 80mph sometimes aimed to the WR's feet or over his head, with somtimes three players on top of him, whilst still running a precise timed route, at almost Olympic standand speed..and if he drops the ball thats it, there is no picking the ball up if he drops it and continuing on with the play, that play is dead..it doesnt compare in the slightest to what an AFL midfielder has to do

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Swervy said:
For me, it's dependant on when they take up the sport.

benchmark00

Swervy said:
its a silly comparison. The ball(which is pretty rock hard in fact) is thrown at 80mph sometimes aimed to the WR's feet or over his head, with somtimes three players on top of him, whilst still running a precise timed route, at almost Olympic standand speed..and if he drops the ball thats it, there is no picking the ball up if he drops it and continuing on with the play, that play is dead..it doesnt compare in the slightest to what an AFL midfielder has to do
The speed the ball is travelling is not too dissimilar to the speeds an AFL ball would be travelling. I understand it's not the same as what the midfielders do in AFL, theyre different sports, but im saying the AFL players could do it if they trained for it.

Swervy

International Captain
Son Of Coco said:
Do some of the forwards in the NFL execute the eating of 20 or 25 hamburgers with precision and speed. They're bloody massive! :happy:
well yeah they are huge!!!!:laugh: and yet even those guys have to be extremely fast with footwork and with the hands to be able to cope with someone like this, who is lightening fast,6ft 7, weighs 283lbs.

Son Of Coco

Swervy said:
well yeah they are huge!!!!:laugh: and yet even those guys have to be extremely fast with footwork and with the hands to be able to cope with someone like this, who is lightening fast,6ft 7, weighs 283lbs.

It'd be hard to run though when some guys stomach is resting on you're head. :laugh:

andyc

Swervy said:

And drugged up to the eyeballs on steroids. :ph34r:

Swervy

International Captain
benchmark00 said:
The speed the ball is travelling is not too dissimilar to the speeds an AFL ball would be travelling. I understand it's not the same as what the midfielders do in AFL, theyre different sports, but im saying the AFL players could do it if they trained for it.
Speeds MAY be similar, although I have never seen any AFL player catch a laser straight 80mph handball or kick from 15 yards away

Sure, if training was involved then fair enough, although I doubt that even if you grabbed hold of every AFL player playing now, and trained them solidly for a year to becaome an NFL receiver you would get much more than 2 or 3 who would even get onto an NFL squad

Swervy

International Captain
Son Of Coco said:
It'd be hard to run though when some guys stomach is resting on you're head. :laugh:
hehehe..well the guy in the picture (Julius peppers) manages to cope iwth it:)

benchmark00

Swervy said:
Speeds MAY be similar, although I have never seen any AFL player catch a laser straight 80mph handball or kick from 15 yards away

Sure, if training was involved then fair enough, although I doubt that even if you grabbed hold of every AFL player playing now, and trained them solidly for a year to becaome an NFL receiver you would get much more than 2 or 3 who would even get onto an NFL squad
Training is obviously crucial. I wouldn't suggest for a second that you could just grab a player and stick him in a game without learning the basic skills of the game. I'm saying that AFL players, more so than rugby players, have the body shape to fill some of the positions.