• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How would the Rugby guys fare in the NFL

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
chaminda_00 said:
You may think they have the right body shape, but NFL clubs clearly don't.
I'm sorry, i didn't realise we had an NFL scout amongst us...

The AFL players who wish to play NFL go over there and try out, NFL clubs don't come to Australia looking for them.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i think more of a problem would be most Rugby and Aussie Rules players would get bored playing gridiron :p

Seriously though they are completley different games, Gridiron players would be about as useless at Rugby as Baseballers are at cricket.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
benchmark00 said:
But like AFL players he can string a coherant sentence together.
As long as it's a sentence for drink-driving or telling a woman to 'get bigger ****' (thanks goes out to that doyen of gentlemanliness - the 'great' Wayne Carey).

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Blaze said:
The spear tackle is not legal in union or league. It is when you lift someone up and drop them on their head/ shoulders...
I find it strange that the shoulder charge is illegal in union...although I guess you have to master the basics first :happy:

benchmark00

Son Of Coco said:
As long as it's a sentence for drink-driving or telling a woman to 'get bigger ****' (thanks goes out to that doyen of gentlemanliness - the 'great' Wayne Carey).

Great man indeed.

benchmark00

Son Of Coco said:
haha, yes...No doubt he got Steven's wife to wash the grass stains out of those shorts. (Was that the surname of his captain?).
Well, Carey was captain, he was just pulling rank (amongst other things). Yeah it is Stevens.

Swervy

International Captain
benchmark00 said:
I've all ready provided evidence of two AFL players playing in the NFL, one is known as the one of the best kickers of all time...
Darren bennett is a punter, not a kicker.:)

Swervy

International Captain
I cant think of too many rugby players who could match it up in the NFL to be honest.

A running back these days has to be able to do a 40 yard dash in about 4.3 seconds or less seconds, be able to block +300lb defenders and catch bullets from ever increasingly big and powerful QBs (daunte Culpepper, now QB for the Dolphins, weighs about 270lb without an oz. of fat on him) , whilst running presise running and receiving routes...and have the strength to hold onto the ball in order to prevent fumbles (a turnover in NFL is worth much much more than a turnover in either form of rugby)

Wide receivers are even faster...and need basketball player like ability to jump

Offensive Linemen in the NFL, whilst incredibly big, also have to be fast, and have much more stamina to deal wit the explosion of energy on each play, and increasingly athletic defensive players

benchmark00

Swervy said:
they just dont have the strength to play at running back, either in the legs or upper body, or in the arms
They what?

Hmmm, obviously not familiar with AFL players?

Son Of Coco

benchmark00 said:
You would think so. He's the Shane Warne of AFL.
Maybe he actually said 'GET SOME TIPS' to the woman in the nightclub, and she left before he could add '...like these stunning little reddish numbers I'm sporting!'.

Right arm fast

State Vice-Captain
Swervy said:
I cant think of too many rugby players who could match it up in the NFL to be honest.

A running back these days has to be able to do a 40 yard dash in about 4.3 seconds or less seconds, be able to block +300lb defenders and catch bullets from ever increasingly big and powerful QBs (daunte Culpepper, now QB for the Dolphins, weighs about 270lb without an oz. of fat on him) , whilst running presise running and receiving routes...and have the strength to hold onto the ball in order to prevent fumbles (a turnover in NFL is worth much much more than a turnover in either form of rugby)

Wide receivers are even faster...and need basketball player like ability to jump

Offensive Linemen in the NFL, whilst incredibly big, also have to be fast, and have much more stamina to deal wit the explosion of energy on each play, and increasingly athletic defensive players
or a centre back who have to be just as quick and good a jumping a wrs and also have the abiltiy to tackle and catch. correct me if i am wrong but in afl there are not as many one on one tackles from 300 pound plus guys. so i don't think and afl or rugby union player could ever come straight into the nfl and be succesful at it because the game is so different.

Swervy

International Captain
benchmark00 said:
They what?

Hmmm, obviously not familiar with AFL players?
I am very familiar with the AFL, but they simply do not have the physical strengths to play in any of the main skill positions in the NFL, AFL players are just not built in the same way....AFL players are buildt more like middle distance runners compared sprinter like NFL players, because the NFL is much more explosive