• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The 2006 NBA Playoffs thread

Fusion

Global Moderator
According to some reports, Nash will be announced as the MVP again. It amazes me that the SAME GUY who did the SAME THINGS in one city (Dallas) yet got no attention/respect can win back to back MVP's in another city! :@

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I dont understand that, This was Dirk's year, he did more to his team than Nash did to Suns. Yet no award, a huge huge dissappointment for me and I dont agree with it at all.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Sanz said:
Yeah, I dont understand that, This was Dirk's year, he did more to his team than Nash did to Suns. Yet no award, a huge huge dissappointment for me and I dont agree with it at all.
Yup agreed. Even though I'm a Dallas homer and biased on the subject, I think it can be soundly argued that Dirk was robbed. He improved his game by leaps and bounds this year, particularly as it relates to the post. Avery Johnson said Dirk was a 2 on a scale of 10 at the beginning of year in taking it to the post (he said Dunkan was and is a 10). Now, Avery rates Dirk as an 8. I know that's coming from his coach, but any casual observor can see that Dirk has become a more complete player this year.

Dravid

International Captain
pinchy81 said:
no they don't as this year is Dirk year :)
This year is Kobes year. He led the score for the Lakers in every single game nd he made 81 points. If it wasnt for Kobe, the Lakers would be worse than the knicks

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Dravid said:
This year is Kobes year. He led the score for the Lakers in every single game nd he made 81 points. If it wasnt for Kobe, the Lakers would be worse than the knicks
Why does Kobe deserve it ? His team barely made it to the playoffs. OTOH Mavricks almost edged Spurs for the top spot in the west. Kobe scored more points because he took more shots, being the selfish player he is. Dirk shot 48 %, Kobe 45 %.

And I shudder to think where Mavs would be without Dirk.

Dravid

International Captain
Kobe has no choice but to be selfish. His team wouldn't be anywhere without him shooting. And still he had almost 5 assist per game this season

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry, I dont buy it. He has a history of being selfish. And trust me Odom, Kwame are fantatstic players, esp Odom and so was Shaq.

As for his assists, check out the assists of players like Wade and AI.

pinchy81

International Vice-Captain
Dravid said:
Knicks have good players, but they can't play basketball
yes they can otherwise they would be last (i don't know if they did come last so please excuse)

Dravid

International Captain
Forget it, what's the point of this arguement when Steve Nash is going to win it. And as far as the Knicks go, they were in last place in the eastern conf with only 23 wins this season and 59 loss

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sanz said:
Sorry, I dont buy it. He has a history of being selfish. And trust me Odom, Kwame are fantatstic players, esp Odom and so was Shaq.

As for his assists, check out the assists of players like Wade and AI.
Granted he has a history of selfishness, but currently Kobe is the only man who is going to win games for the Lakers. You can Odom all you want, by Lamar Odom is not going to win games for the Lakers. Kobe Bryant is a matchwinner and to that end, without another matchwinner - see Shaq, Nowitzki, Nash - on the Laker roster, he has to be the man.

As far as the Lakers go, they should be thankful if they were guaranteed 40+ points from Kobe Bryant every game.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sanz said:
Why does Kobe deserve it ? His team barely made it to the playoffs. OTOH Mavricks almost edged Spurs for the top spot in the west. Kobe scored more points because he took more shots, being the selfish player he is. Dirk shot 48 %, Kobe 45 %.

And I shudder to think where Mavs would be without Dirk.
And the MVP is the Most Valuable Player. Without Kobe Bryant, the Lakers would not have come close to the playoffs. If one player can virtually carry his team that far, I'd say that's a whole lot of value. I'm not a big Kobe fan, but I can recognize an MVP.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
And the MVP is the Most Valuable Player. Without Kobe Bryant, the Lakers would not have come close to the playoffs. If one player can virtually carry his team that far, I'd say that's a whole lot of value. I'm not a big Kobe fan, but I can recognize an MVP.
Where would the Spurs be without Duncan? The Mavs without Dirk? The Suns without Nash? What happened to Houston this year without T-Mac? Great players usually have a tremendous impact on their teams. Just because Kobe is the Most Valuable Player on HIS TEAM doesn't make him MVP of the league.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Granted he has a history of selfishness, but currently Kobe is the only man who is going to win games for the Lakers. You can Odom all you want, by Lamar Odom is not going to win games for the Lakers. Kobe Bryant is a matchwinner and to that end, without another matchwinner - see Shaq, Nowitzki, Nash - on the Laker roster, he has to be the man.

As far as the Lakers go, they should be thankful if they were guaranteed 40+ points from Kobe Bryant every game.
Unfortunately that wont win them another Championships. Teams, not individuals, win championships. Kobe is a match winner, so is Gilbert Arenas, so are Lebron James, Chris Paul, Dwade etc etc.

Odam is a fantastic player and if handled properly he could be world class. Look @ Chauncy Billups, who knew Billups will be such a lethal player, He was practically useless in his first 4-5 years and played for 4 teams. Today he is the top PG in the league.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Where would the Wizards be without Gilbert Arenas ? Kobe may be the MVP of lakers, but not of NBA.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Fusion said:
Where would the Spurs be without Duncan? The Mavs without Dirk? The Suns without Nash? What happened to Houston this year without T-Mac? Great players usually have a tremendous impact on their teams. Just because Kobe is the Most Valuable Player on HIS TEAM doesn't make him MVP of the league.
I think Spurs will do fine without Duncan. They are a team of very talented players. Horry, Mohammad, Ginobli, Parker, Finley, Bowen are all fantastic players. Duncans is definately a big help, but IMO Spurs can still make Western Conf finals easily without Duncan's help.