• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** QLD v NSW State of Origin Thread

Craig

World Traveller
BoyBrumby said:
Just been watching a delayed broadcast on "Boots N All" (Sky Sports League magazine prog). NSW's 3rd try must've been the worst decision ever. If Hodgson didn't knock on there then frankly I've never seen one. Not altogether sure why Carroll's try was ruled out either.

Kinda poetic justice Hodgson threw the pass for Locky's intercept. Just a shame that duff video ref calls nearly ruined the game.
Or how Thurston was ruled for a knock on that gave the ball back to NSW not long after Grothe's dodgy try of the year.

Give credit where it is due though, at least Phil Gould wasn't biased towards NSW and thought the video ref got it wrong. Peter Stirling was more neutral, I guess being born in Toowoomba might help.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
BoyBrumby said:
Rather a change of topic from sporting greats shilling for tv stations, but I was watching NRL Deluxe yesterday & someone on there reckoned Inglis should actually be playing for NSW rather than QLD because he appeared once for a Manly side at sixteen in one of the senior comps before moving to Maroon country.

I was under the impression Origin eligibility was determined by where a player first appears in senior League? If so how have they got away with this?
Because a player can basically choose which state he plays for if there is any ambiguity. They need to implement a stringent rule and stick to it.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
broncoman said:
oh i believe it, if anyone honestly believes there hasnt been any quiet tip offs to the refs and other officials to make or let certain things happen over the past few years then they arent paying too much attention to whats going on...
Go on, name some names.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
burkey_1988 said:
Because a player can basically choose which state he plays for if there is any ambiguity. They need to implement a stringent rule and stick to it.
Thurston had a link to playing all his junior footy in Queensland anyway, hes one of those guys who had a choice, like Mat Rogers, Ken Nagas etc... he simply chose Queensland end of story...

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not having a go at players choosing Queensland over NSW at all. They have been allowed the choice and have made their decision based on a variety of different factors. However, I find it laughable that a player is allowed to choose. There should be some sort of guideline that more accurately represents a player's true 'state of origin'. Take Greg Inglis for example; he grew up in NSW but moved to Brisbane Norths because he was recruited and as a result played his first senior match of rugby league there. Arguably, he is truly a New South Welshman, but this wishy-washy first match of senior football complicates things especially with the way players are recruited from all over the place nowadays.