• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Whats so good about the Commonwealth Games?

Umpire Money

State Vice-Captain
As most of us know the commonwealth games are around the corner.
Its on everyone's lips... oooo the comm games its gonna be great.

No no no. Its a second rate olympics that just make us feel superior cause Australia actually win most of the medals.

Any time you compete for your country is great, but wouldnt you want to do it at the highest level? Not every country is here, its just those countries who still live with the queen(thats right isnt it?)

Once we become a republic we wont miss these games..... i guess.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
South Africa are a republic and they're still in the commonwealth games. It's just the members of the commonwealth.

I don't agree with you really, it's just like saying what's the point in representing Australia in cricket if they're only playing the West Indies (for want of an example). It's still the highest level, just not against the best competition.

Umpire Money

State Vice-Captain
see boring.

It is true i agree with that why represent your country unless your doing it against the best.

so australia will always be in the comm games? is that right? damn

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I find both Olympic and Commonwealth Games boring. Not many of the events really appeal to me...the winter Olympics are much more interesting.
I'm still going to the opening ceremony though.

benchmark00

I don't understand what's so bad about them?

Any sport is good sport, except soccer and rugby league ofcourse.

Umpire Money

State Vice-Captain
Soccer and Rugby League. oh no. They are awesome sports. oh no.

what is boring is the same swimming event over and over. What is boring is syncrinized(who knows how to spell that) swimming. what is boring is rowing down a river.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I guess most of these events wouldn't appeal to the average viwer, but to a person who follows these kind of sports it would. Though rowing might not seem appealing to some people, if you recognise the skill and effort put into it, it might change your perspective a bit

benchmark00

Umpire Money said:
Soccer and Rugby League. oh no. They are awesome sports. oh no.

what is boring is the same swimming event over and over. What is boring is syncrinized(who knows how to spell that) swimming. what is boring is rowing down a river.
They're all in the olympics though.... so are you saying get rid of the olympics?

Umpire Money

State Vice-Captain
no im saying at least in the olympics they are against the best in the world. The commonwealth doesnt have some of the best in the world. For example netball. good sport but everyone knows its only between australia and new zealand, there is no holland or US or jamacia(they arent in it are they)

and some of the sports in the olympics should be got rid of. but of course i cant go up to the icc and say " you know rowing its got to go"

benchmark00

Umpire Money said:
no im saying at least in the olympics they are against the best in the world. The commonwealth doesnt have some of the best in the world. For example netball. good sport but everyone knows its only between australia and new zealand, there is no holland or US or jamacia(they arent in it are they)

and some of the sports in the olympics should be got rid of. but of course i cant go up to the icc and say " you know rowing its got to go"
New Zealand and Australia ARE the best in the world at netball, it's only ever out of them.

And why would you go up to the International Cricket Council and discuss olympic matters?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, they do seem pretty pointless. Did anyone see the Chaser's War on Everything last Friday night when they were trying to pay people to take tickets to the games?
"Hey buddy, you want some tickets to the squash? I'll give you twenty dollars."
"What's the catch?"
"You have to see the squash." :laugh:

Umpire Money

State Vice-Captain
I would go to the ICC cause the OCC is too hard to see. i made a typo *sniff* you picked up on that straight away good for you.

Cant be that pointless we have the queen in Australia because of the games wow.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Jamee999 said:
It's constant sport!

What could be a better way to spend a couple of weeks? (Carn 2012)
Constant footy = good.
Constant cricket = better.
Constant squash, bowls, roller hockey, handball, judo etc = rubbish.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Meh, I'll find anything that's got a British competitor (or from a tiny country like the Falkland Islands :p) exciting :p

Handball's just football with hands :p

Craig

World Traveller
Barney Rubble said:
Constant footy = good.
Constant cricket = better.
Constant squash, bowls, roller hockey, handball, judo etc = rubbish.
And those who love judo could say cricket is the most boring sport so try and have an open mind.