• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Whats so good about the Commonwealth Games?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Natman20 said:
Commonwealth games = Olympics 'B' = No interest = Boring
But not everything can be the best..

It's like saying all cricket is pointless if it isnt the Ashes or a World Cup..

And not liking the sports involved is a different argument altogether

steds

Hall of Fame Member
It is not Olympics 'B'. What makes the Commonwealth games any different to the Asian games or the Pan-American games?

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Opening ceremonies, does anyone actually enjoy them? Ever since I watched the Sydney 2000 one I have refused to watch another ever again.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
Opening ceremonies, does anyone actually enjoy them? Ever since I watched the Sydney 2000 one I have refused to watch another ever again.
I quite liked the 2000 closing ceremony, if that counts.

Umpire Money

State Vice-Captain
never watched the opening or closing ceremonies of any "major" sporting event. I dont actually know why they just dont have someone at a podium saying "let the games begin" then the sport starts.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
vic_orthdox said:
There has to be tap dancers. Someone has to employ "Tap Dogs" at some stage...
Couple that with a prepubescent girl flying and singing.

Reminds me of a quote off king of the hill

Hank: Then we can agree their music isn't all that bad... maybe even okay.
Bill: Okay if you're a prepubescent girl.
Dale: Are you one of those Hank, huh? A prepubescent girl?
Hank: Would a prepubescent girl be able to kick your ***?
Dale: Probably.

Natman20

International Debutant
yeasterday I said something like Commonwealth games= Olympics 'B' = No interest = Boring so geuss what I did last night. Stayed up to midnight watching the opening ceramony :laugh:

All opening ceramonies are wierd and whacky and make no sense and arn't very spectacular really the only one I enjoyed was Sydney 2000

steds

Hall of Fame Member
benchmark00 said:
Couple that with a prepubescent girl flying and singing.

Reminds me of a quote off king of the hill

Hank: Then we can agree their music isn't all that bad... maybe even okay.
Bill: Okay if you're a prepubescent girl.
Dale: Are you one of those Hank, huh? A prepubescent girl?
Hank: Would a prepubescent girl be able to kick your ***?
Dale: Probably.
:laugh:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
They were always known as the 'friendly games' - I see that as far as some of the posters on here are concerned, that attitude seems to have gone out of the window.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
You gotta love opening ceremonies.
If you don't watch you miss classics like Diana Ross at USA '94 World Cup. When she missed that open goal from a few feet away and the goal then as choreographed falls apart like it had been destroyed by a cannonball. Freakin' hilarious:laugh:

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
What's so good about the Commonwealth Games, you ask?

Darrell Eastlake getting excited of the pronounciation of the name of a Malaysian female weightlifter in the 48kg division, that's what.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
vic_orthdox said:
What's so good about the Commonwealth Games, you ask?

Darrell Eastlake getting excited of the pronounciation of the name of a Malaysian female weightlifter in the 48kg division, that's what.
Wasn't he brilliant. Got up to the threshold of pain he did.