• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Commonwealth Games Thread

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Reffing really cost Australia. We get sin-binned for professional fouls, England don`t. Just stupid.

Funny kick at the end though. :D

barmyarmy

U19 Captain
I just want to say that any event where Scotland can win 2 golds on the first day has to be a complete joke. This is just a way for Aus/GB athletes to feel good about themselves cos the Chinese and Americans aren't there.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
barmyarmy said:
I just want to say that any event where Scotland can win 2 golds on the first day has to be a complete joke. This is just a way for Aus/GB athletes to feel good about themselves cos the Chinese and Americans aren't there.
Would you say the same about the football European Championships? (with Brazil instead of America and China, obviously :ph34r:)

Natman20

International Debutant
Good work Moss Burmester with Gold fro NZ. Good work also from the Nz Bsaketballers beating South Africa 80 something to 50 something.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I see some of the track cycling events are different to the Olympics.

Where's that event where one of the guys (the fat one) has a motorbike, and all the others (loads of them) have a pushbike? How silly's that?

And the guy on the motorbike never wins. Not surprised - it's a moped really and he just poses along like he's really cool and on the pull in Rome or Paris, going around the streets saying 'ciao' to everyone.

Use a bloody Harley, for Chrissakes.

barmyarmy

U19 Captain
steds said:
Would you say the same about the football European Championships? (with Brazil instead of America and China, obviously :ph34r:)
No, I'd say they're a higher standard!
If you add up the medal tally of the nations here from the last Olympics you'll find just how low the standard is in comparison. Britain got a 1,2,3 in the cycling today - how much of a joke is that?
The fact remains that, by the very nature of them being commonwealth countries most are comparatively underdeveloped and not spending anywhere near as much as us on sport. If you want to treat this as a fun little romp to prepare some of the athletes for the World Championships and Olympics then fine but don't think it makes us good at sport to beat the Seychelles at badminton.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
To be fair I'd say it probably is.
To be fair, you have no idea of what the general public in New Zealand thinks about the sevens in the Commonwealth Games.

Players like Jonah Lomu place the Commonwealth gold right up there with what they've achieved in rugby.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmm, all this talk about Libby Lenton winning 7 golds, and that she'd kill it in the 200m freestyle. Hmm.. only a silver...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
barmyarmy said:
No, I'd say they're a higher standard!
If you add up the medal tally of the nations here from the last Olympics you'll find just how low the standard is in comparison. Britain got a 1,2,3 in the cycling today - how much of a joke is that?
No they didn't.

England did - and the track cycling is one of the (few) events where Britain regularly do well at the Olympics too. Bad example.

I didn't have you down for being one of these people who think that if you can't win, there's no point in entering.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Voltman said:
But the Super 14 is far more important.[/NZRU]

yeah thats why there is only 1 from NSW and 1 from ACT

Picking 7 players from all the aussie super 14 players would be tough - Giteau and Tiquiri pick themselves, i reakon George Smith and Phil Waugh might get a shot, David Lyons would be unstoppable (much like he is in the 15 man version).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Voltman said:
To be fair, you have no idea of what the general public in New Zealand thinks about the sevens in the Commonwealth Games.

Players like Jonah Lomu place the Commonwealth gold right up there with what they've achieved in rugby.
Oh right - I must admit the 7s holds a fair bit of interest for me because we can at least compete with only 7 a side compared to our 15 man game, but I thought that the 14s was the big thing over there?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Australia being taught a 7's lesson by NZ at the moment - Giteau and Tiquiri both off the field with injuries :(