• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Commonwealth Games Thread

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
It would be a bit ridiculous not playing "God Save The Queen" considering it's the Commonwealth Games...

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Opening Ceremony tonight. Personally, I hope it ties in the "bloody hell" theme from the whole tourist thing.

At least the Comm Games are giving me the house to myself this weekend. Bo yeah.

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
The only problem with the event is that there's no cricket. Dont put it back in for the Bombay games, put it back in now!

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Wonder if the Aussie Women's swimming team will actually win every gold medal avaliable to them, wouldn't be a huge surprise, they have been awsome of late - shame the men wont do that well.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm really expecting Hannah McLean (NZ) to win her event in the swimming. Australia will win most of them though for sure.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hopefully...and there are big expectations for Valerie Vili and Beatrice Faumuina (again!).

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
In fact there are 3 verses. The second one's never sung and absolutely no-one knows the third one.

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
We really need to adapt the Adam Hills national anthem (none of your will get that unless you watch Spicks and Specks). ;)

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
I cant get very excited about the Commonwealth Games. I am a big Athletics fan so obviously I enjoy watching that side of it, but I cant help feel it is a rather antiquated concept that really has little point

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
chooka_nick said:
We really need to adapt the Adam Hills national anthem (none of your will get that unless you watch Spicks and Specks). ;)
The one to the tune of Working Class Man? Well, if I were to try and show off, I'd mention that he did that at the Comedy Festival Gala about 7 years ago, but I'm not that sort of guy...

I want Hector from the Cat Empire to start singing with his annoying voice. Just to annoy people, now that I'm not watching it anymore...

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
James90 said:
In fact there are 3 verses. The second one's never sung and absolutely no-one knows the third one.
the second one we used to sing at primary school, thats the second time ive heard it in 8 years since. Ive heard the third once.

upon research the thrid verse was apparently not part of the origional anthem and was added by some unknown source at some point somewhere (they dont know when or where) and is not part of the official anthem.

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
vic_orthdox said:
The one to the tune of Working Class Man? Well, if I were to try and show off, I'd mention that he did that at the Comedy Festival Gala about 7 years ago, but I'm not that sort of guy...
Yeah, and it's pretty good isn't it? :p
vic_orthdox said:
I want Hector from the Cat Empire to start singing with his annoying voice. Just to annoy people, now that I'm not watching it anymore...
Not watching anymore? LOL dont tell me it's rubbish?!

PY

International Coach
Loved Howard's tears when the Australian team came out.

Almost brought a tear to my eye. :happy: :p