• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Commonwealth Games Thread

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Hopping for 400 metres is 'pretty bloody hard' it doesn't mean it should be an event in the games.
Hopping. Double letter score for the fist "P". That's 16, I believe. Well done, old chap.

Langeveldt

Soutie
FaaipDeOiad said:
Because Scotland deserves the right to compete for itself, rather than a controlling foreign power?

Scotland might not be a country in the strictest sense, but it's far more of a country than Queensland is. If you don't count Scotland as a country, you may as well not count India either. The only difference is that one managed to win its independance and the other lost.
Foreign power? You make Scotland sound like Iraq! Scotland is as autonomous as a US state is, and its been like that for the best part of a thousand years.. But the United States competes as one, unlike the United Kingdom..

I don't care that much, it would just mean we could put out far stronger sports teams, maybe beating the Aussies at something other than cricket and television

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Langeveldt said:
Foreign power? You make Scotland sound like Iraq! Scotland is as autonomous as a US state is, and its been like that for the best part of a thousand years.. But the United States competes as one, unlike the United Kingdom..

I don't care that much, it would just mean we could put out far stronger sports teams, maybe beating the Aussies at something other than cricket and television
Well it works both ways, in other events it means UK can field more representitives - these will of course usually be weaker representitives but not always and they'll get useful experience for when the Olympics comes along.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Rubbish. The reasons for Scotland competing seperately from England are cultural and political, they aren't to do with whether or not they have autonomous statehood. The Games isn't the UN, and given that Scotland historically is an occupied nation that fought for independance and failed, it would be ludicrous to have Scottish athletes compete on behalf of the United Kingdom - just as ludicrous as having India compete on behalf of the UK. After all, what's 60 years?

Regardless, the Commonwealth Games are for nations in the British Commonwealth to compete against one another. Don't you think it would be kind of stupid to have parts of the Commonwealth (read: empire) compete under the same banner as England? If you take that to its logical conclusion, every country in the Games would in fact be part of the same team, since they were all part of the empire at one point.

Langeveldt said:
Fair enough. Wait for the Olympics.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
and given that Scotland historically is an occupied nation that fought for independance and failed
It was only a matter of time before this came up...

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
It was only a matter of time before this came up...
:p

Well, with all due respect to the Scottish people, they did, and really the only difference between Scotland and Ireland is that Britain managed to maintain control in one case and not the other. I don't see why Scottish athletes shouldn't be able to compete on behalf of Scotland, as it's a totally different cultural issue to a voluntarily accepted union of states like the USA.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Scaly piscine said:
I nominate the walking event as the lamest in these games - what next the 800 metres baby crawl? The 400 metres hop? Completely pointless.
Hey, come on now. I find walking a magnificent spectacle: 50 top class athletes waggling their butt cheeks like they're trying to dislodge a particularly persistant piece of clag. :p

& of course they break into a trot when they think no-one's looking! & they're right: no one is looking because it's so bloody boring!!! :laugh:

ash chaulk

International Captain
BoyBrumby said:
Hey, come on now. I find walking a magnificent spectacle: 50 top class athletes waggling their butt cheeks like they're trying to dislodge a particularly persistant piece of clag. :p

& of course they break into a trot when they think no-one's looking! & they're right: no one is looking because it's so bloody boring!!! :laugh:
is it because of the clean sweeps of aus in the womens and mens?

oh yeh and what about libby lenton as her own state or womens swimming team and or henry mills lenton lol could go on and on

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Just watched the women's 200m butterfly in the swimming....the welsh girl qualified....she's only 15!!

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
It's a ridiculous event full stop - they're not even actually walking!
It is though.

The rule is that they need one foot on the ground at all times, that's what distinguishes it from jogging/running.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
benchmark00 said:
It is though.

The rule is that they need one foot on the ground at all times, that's what distinguishes it from jogging/running.
Now if they had a few wearing sailor suits and talking like Charles Hawtrey, we could film it and market it as 'Carry on Walking'.

Barbara Windsor to breast the tape, anyone?