• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is a Sport?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Langeveldt said:
Check out the blood all over the referees shirt.. Like a bar room brawl that was, top television..

"Takes your breath away at times does sport" - there you go
Then the usual dodgy referee's decision. Skelton was a dirty fighter throughout, but Williams kept turning away from him - which is just as bad in my view.

Edit: By referee I mean judge

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Barney Rubble said:
I did A Level PE too (:ph34r:) and she's right.

Just to thread-jack a little - darts may be a sport, but darts players are not athletes. Not under any circumstances. There's a difference between a sportsman and an athlete, and 30-stone fatboys who use a total of about three muscles in their body on a regular basis and drink more alcohol than they do water have no right to call themselves athletes. Sportsmen yes, athletes no.

Sorry, that's just a pet peeve of mine. :p :D
Darts ceased to be a sport when they removed alcohol and started embracing each other at the end of the game.

Incidentally, why is that Sumo wrestler depicted by Steds holding a bunch of knitting needles? If he knocks the other lardy out of the ring, would it be right to call it a 'purler'?

(don't get enough kniitting jokes on CricketWeb. No wonder we've so few ladies)

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Eyes_Only said:
And with jokes like that Eddie...you wonder why?? :blink:
Hi, Megan. I'll try harder next time. Spent an hour in a craft shop today looking for a darned needle threader. Try as I might though, even I can't make a joke out of that.

howardj

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
My girlfriend told me a proper definition..

It has to have a governing body
It has to have an official set of rules
It has to involve individual/team based competition

Looks like in actual fact, there are very few grey areas, and lots of sports..
Far too broad. There surely has to be an element of physical exertion involved.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Eyes_Only said:
:-O You can't make a joke outta that!! You're slipping son!!

BTW: How's the Duck??
Trying to avoid bird flu.

I keep suggesting he take a break - possibly go somewhere Nice.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Eyes_Only said:
Tell him that Simon said hi
Excellent - will do.

I really must get my act together again one day. That's both of the duck's fans asking about his welfare.

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
A definition of Sport...

A sport consists of a physical and mentally competitive activity carried out with a recreational purpose for competition, for self-enjoyment, to attain excellence, for the development of a skill, or some combination of these. A sport has physical activity, side by side competition, self-motivation and a scoring system. The difference of purpose is what characterises sport, combined with the notion of individual (or team) skill or prowess.

Taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
Excellent - will do.

I really must get my act together again one day. That's both of the duck's fans asking about his welfare.
So who's the other fan?? :huh:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Eyes_Only said:
A sport consists of a physical and mentally competitive activity carried out with a recreational purpose for competition, for self-enjoyment, to attain excellence, for the development of a skill, or some combination of these. A sport has physical activity, side by side competition, self-motivation and a scoring system. The difference of purpose is what characterises sport, combined with the notion of individual (or team) skill or prowess.

Taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport
http://forum.cricketweb.net/showpost.php?p=727140&postcount=6