• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official NRL 2006 Thread

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Blaze said:
So we start on -4. Fair enough we are probably lucky but still it's guna be a tough old season.

I just hope that the other clubs doing similar things get caught out as well.

Dragons anyone?
theres no proof that any other clubs have done this, however i suggest when the next checks are done on each of the clubs they will be looking at this very closely...
and i presume anyone caught cheating the cap this way will be punished, theres still a problem for the warriors because the season starts in 8 days butthey are still over the cap, so unless they can get under the cap before then they are looking at another fine...

Blaze

Banned
broncoman said:
theres no proof that any other clubs have done this, however i suggest when the next checks are done on each of the clubs they will be looking at this very closely...
and i presume anyone caught cheating the cap this way will be punished, theres still a problem for the warriors because the season starts in 8 days butthey are still over the cap, so unless they can get under the cap before then they are looking at another fine...

tbh Eric Watson (the Warriors owner) probably doesn't care about the fines. He is a multi millionaire.

The popular belief I have been hearing a bit of is that 'everyone is cheating the salary cap, the Warriors were just stupid enough to get caught'

I don't go along with that, but what I would say is that I suspect that the Warriors are not the only team cheating the cap.

The sadest thing about the Warriors drama is that the points penatly penalises the fans who have done nothing wrong. That's not to say I don't agree with the penalty, but still it is pretty rough on the fans.

Simon

Blaze said:
tbh Eric Watson (the Warriors owner) probably doesn't care about the fines. He is a multi millionaire.

The popular belief I have been hearing a bit of is that 'everyone is cheating the salary cap, the Warriors were just stupid enough to get caught'

I don't go along with that, but what I would say is that I suspect that the Warriors are not the only team cheating the cap.

The sadest thing about the Warriors drama is that the points penatly penalises the fans who have done nothing wrong. That's not to say I don't agree with the penalty, but still it is pretty rough on the fans.
in many ways its not all that different to the bulldogs a few years ago, the fans were "punished" but in all reality if they hadnt of cheated to get those players canterbury probably wouldnt have been in the position to win the comp...
What the warriors have done isnt quite as bad but a points penalty was inevitable when all the details came out, 4 points isnt really a lot, its not impossible for them to make the finals but it doesnt make it a bit harder...
plus points penalties are probably the biggest deterent for other clubs doing the same things...
in the paper the last few days theres been details of all the sides over the cap and theres been a lot of teams break it but they have only been minor breaches, what the warriors have been found guilty of doing is cheating the cap, not just breaking it. Id be surprised if there isnt another few clubs doing the same thing, but i doubt its the majority...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
How the heck do Sydney City stay under the cap? thats what I want to know.

I predict that the Warriors won't be the only side that cops a penalty by the time the season ends. This whole drama may also show why the Warriors were so keen to offload a whole heap of players over the last year or two as well.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Tim said:
How the heck do Sydney City stay under the cap? thats what I want to know.
One of the mysteries of the universe.

Can't wait until tomorrow week. Nothing better than league season to be honest.

Craig

World Traveller
Agreed.

I do want to know what the writer of the article that came from Sydney was on that Lockyer is "unhappy at the Broncos and wants out".

Now come on like they would ever happen?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Craig said:
Agreed.

I do want to know what the writer of the article that came from Sydney was on that Lockyer is "unhappy at the Broncos and wants out".

Now come on like they would ever happen?
I still think the ARU might fancy tempting Lockyer over. It's probably now or never for him. Saw there was more talk of a Union move for Gasnier too, although that could just be his agent talking his contract up tho.

Simon

Lockyer wont go, he signed a 5 year contract last year, hes with us for life, i dont think union would be all that interested in him anymore, hes lost a yard of pace and its definately made him a little less effective...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
SB Williams to miss the first 6 weeks of the season. The boy doesn't have a lotta luck does he?

BTW anyone entered or running a tipping comp for the NRL this year?

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
BoyBrumby said:
SB Williams to miss the first 6 weeks of the season. The boy doesn't have a lotta luck does he?

BTW anyone entered or running a tipping comp for the NRL this year?
Reckon there will be enough interest on here?

Simon

im already in one with my mates on nrl.com so i probably wont enter any others...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
broncoman said:
im already in one with my mates on nrl.com so i probably wont enter any others...
Fair dos then. You could always tell us the code if you fancy losing that too! :p

What do you make of the changes there, BTW? I def preferred it how it used to be. Easier to navigate. No proper stats for the players now either, unless I'm looking in the wrong place.

Blaze

Banned
I would be in for a tipping comp, there would probably be 5-8 people who would be interested IMO...

Simon

BoyBrumby said:
Fair dos then. You could always tell us the code if you fancy losing that too! :p

What do you make of the changes there, BTW? I def preferred it how it used to be. Easier to navigate. No proper stats for the players now either, unless I'm looking in the wrong place.
yeh nrl.com is crap, not only does it take too long to load its not very informative...

Craig

World Traveller
BoyBrumby said:
I still think the ARU might fancy tempting Lockyer over. It's probably now or never for him. Saw there was more talk of a Union move for Gasnier too, although that could just be his agent talking his contract up tho.
Like Simon said he won't go but he also said rugby union is like joining 'the dark side...'

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't wait for tomorrow morning, open the Sydney Morning Herald and read this week's teams. I've missed it ever so much

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've opened a tipping Comp. Good Luck.

You are invited to join my NRL 2006 Footy tipping competition at OzTips.com - Your Sports Tipping Headquarters online.

Comp Number: 67558
Comp Name: Cricketweb NRL Tipping Comp
Password to join: cricketweb

To join:
----------------
1. Go to http://www.OzTips.com

2. From the home page, select "I'm new and I want to tip", and setup a user account (if you don't already have one on OzTips.com).

3. Select "I want to join a Tipping Comp" on the home page, or the "Tipping" tab.

4. Enter the Comp Number and Password details above.

5. That's it. Full instructions on how to tip can be found on the site by clicking on the "Help" tab.

Regards,
Kyle Wright
pennyless_student@hotmail.com