• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Next England Manager

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
So Sven's stepping down after our glorious triumph in Germany this summer.

Who's next?

9/2 Sam Allardyce
6 Steve McClaren
7 Alan Curbishley
9 Martin O'Neill
10 Guus Hiddink
14 Stuart Pearce
20 Felipe Scolari
33 Ottmar Hitzfeld, Paul Jewell, Steve Coppell
40 Steve Bruce
50 Arsene Wenger, Alan Pardew
66 Mike Newell, Claudio Ranieri, Giovanni Trapattoni, Mark Hughes, Otto Rehhagel, Martin Jol, Bryan Robson, Rafa Benitez, Ruud Gullit, Fabio Capello
80 Neil Warnock
100 Lawrie Sanchez, Alan Sheare, Terry Venables, Bobby Robson, Peter Taylor, Alex Ferguson, Harry Redknapp, David Moyes, David O'Leary, David Platt
150 Glenn Hoddle, Iain Dowie, Trevor Francis
200 Kevin Keegan, George Graham
250 Clive Woodward, Mick McCarthy
500 Steve Staunton, Peter Crouch, Alex Inglethorpe
1000 Tord Grip, Paul Gascoigne, Ron Atkinson

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hiddink would be my shout, great record, better English than most native managers, set to quit PSV. Unfortunately competency & availability will probably come second to passport...

Hitzfeld looks the value bet @ 33s if anyone fancies a punt tho. I think he'll come in a bit.

PY

International Coach
If Neil Warnock becomes England manager, I shall put my head through a wall.

Platt at a long shot, realistically I think it'll be McLaren because I can't see any other reason for him being in the England setup.

I'd like to see Peter Taylor maybe? I'm assuming you inserted Peter Crouch's name into the odds. :laugh:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:

Who's next?

9/2 Sam Allardyce
6 Steve McClaren
7 Alan Curbishley
9 Martin O'Neill
10 Guus Hiddink
14 Stuart Pearce
20 Felipe Scolari
40 Steve Bruce
66 Mike Newell, Claudio Ranieri, Giovanni Trapattoni, Mark Hughes, Otto Rehhagel, Martin Jol, Bryan Robson, Rafa Benitez, Ruud Gullit, Fabio Capello
80 Neil Warnock
100 Lawrie Sanchez, Alan Sheare, Terry Venables, Bobby Robson, Peter Taylor, Alex Ferguson, Harry Redknapp, David Moyes, David O'Leary, David Platt
:laugh:

Hope it's Curbishley, will probably be Allardyce or McClaren though.

Last edited:

cpr

International Coach
Realistically i'd go for McLaren. He's done alright at boro considering (if you've ever been to smoggie land you'll know its damn hard to attract top players), as coach at utd he did very well (i'm mean look at us now we've got that useless portuguese fella!).

At international level its more about coaching than managing skills, ok sometimes you might have to deal with a prima donna at a big tournament, but on pure coaching skills McLaren is far and away the best there is.

Cant rule out Alladyce though, he does bring alot of technical skill to the job.... wouldnt bet against the two of them together really....

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
cpr said:
Realistically i'd go for McLaren. He's done alright at boro considering (if you've ever been to smoggie land you'll know its damn hard to attract top players), as coach at utd he did very well (i'm mean look at us now we've got that useless portuguese fella!).

At international level its more about coaching than managing skills, ok sometimes you might have to deal with a prima donna at a big tournament, but on pure coaching skills McLaren is far and away the best there is.

Cant rule out Alladyce though, he does bring alot of technical skill to the job.... wouldnt bet against the two of them together really....
He's done crap at boro, he's built a squad of lazy mercenaries that's one spot above the relegation zone - like Robson before him he had plenty of money to buy players, would people say Bryan Robson should be England manager? Most of McClaren's soundbites are beyond belief, when asked about being manager he said he should "keep achieving at Middlesbrough" - all he's won is the worthless cup, other than they've done nothing.

Curbishley should be the next manager, he at least knows what he's doing, plays English players and can do more than the long ball Allardyce style. He also appears a fair bit brighter than Allardyce.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
He's done crap at boro, he's built a squad of lazy mercenaries that's one spot above the relegation zone - like Robson before him he had plenty of money to buy players, would people say Bryan Robson should be England manager? Most of McClaren's soundbites are beyond belief, when asked about being manager he said he should "keep achieving at Middlesbrough" - all he's won is the worthless cup, other than they've done nothing.

Curbishley should be the next manager, he at least knows what he's doing, plays English players and can do more than the long ball Allardyce style. He also appears a fair bit brighter than Allardyce.
Curbishley who's Charlton side invariably start brightly then collapse at the end of the season?

Scaly piscine

A lot of the factors that result in Charlton falling away at the end of a season aren't present (or as significant) in a World Cup.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
A lot of the factors that result in Charlton falling away at the end of a season aren't present (or as significant) in a World Cup.
Well you could use the same reasoning to say that the reasons Allardyce plays long ball tactics aren't there in International football, he uses that style to get results at Bolton (and they have averachieved massively over the last few seasons) and is more restricted in terms of players available and cash available than Curbishley.

Personally i'd prefer another foreign manager anyway, but if its going to be an English manager (and i reckon it might with media pressure) i don't want Mclaren and i'm not keen on Curbishley

33/3from3.3

International Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:

Who's next?

9/2 Sam Allardyce
6 Steve McClaren
7 Alan Curbishley
9 Martin O'Neill
10 Guus Hiddink
14 Stuart Pearce
20 Felipe Scolari
40 Steve Bruce
80 Neil Warnock
1000 Tord Grip, Paul Gascoigne, Rowan Atkinson
2000 James Nixon:)
whos Tord Grip

Scaly piscine

superkingdave said:
Well you could use the same reasoning to say that the reasons Allardyce plays long ball tactics aren't there in International football
You could use that reasoning, but it wouldn't hold much water. Allardyce would have to do something completely new and different to what he's done at Bolton for the past however many seasons if he got the job. Curbishley wouldn't have to do anything near as drastic.

Langeveldt

Soutie
33/3from3.3 said:
whos Tord Grip
Sven's charismatic deputy...

Can you actually get odds on Gazza? That would be better than winning the world cup, having that at the top, im laughing just thinking about it..

cpr

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:

Its a fair argument against McLaren. I mean Boro aint exactly become world beaters, and he has had plenty of money to buy players. The problem is that Boro arnt a big club, and bar Mendieta havent got the draw to bring in top name players (the big name signings they have made tend to be already premiership players, who are out of the first team at a larger club, such as Zenden was). I mean could you have seen Owen moving to Boro in the summer?? Sure all he's won is the League cup.... but thats more than they'd done in their entire history prior to that. Boro are one of the few clubs that are regularly bringing through youngsters with enough quality to play at premiership level, even international level... Thats where McLarens effect is being felt the most.

At international level the main obsticle, namely bringing in star names, is no longer there. As a coach, i believe McLaren is the stronger of the English candidates (personally i dont think the FA will go for a foreigner again), plus he has the added bonus of being involved in teh setup already, so is used to the squad and its strengths

As for Alladyce, same problems as McLaren. Bolton aint really appealing for the star names. Yet whereas McLaren is a strong coach, Alladyce is technically a good manager. He's not afraid to use technology to get the best out of his team. Sure he plays ugly football, but for a club with a tight budget like bolton, bringing in old players and playing to their strengths is the most cost effective way of getting results (stengths being they have the skills to play long ball acuratly, can pass it well, will take chances. Also they cant run for toffee any more, so long ball tactics will help on that front). Again, give him a job where he can rely on the best available in the country, i'm sure he'd change the way his team played, utilising the strengths of whats on hand. In tandem with a coach like McLaren, i reckon this would be a pretty good team.

Curbishley of course is still a damn good manager, and well worth considering. Personally i think his skills lie somewhere between the other two. Considering the fact that McLaren is already so heavily involved in the England setup, i think England can afford to bring in the other extreme in Alladyce and try and work them together, rather than go for the middle ground with curbishley

So long as Howard Wilkinson is never allowed near the squad again, i'll be happy :)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil Pickup said:

Who's next?

9/2 Sam Allardyce
6 Steve McClaren
7 Alan Curbishley
9 Martin O'Neill
10 Guus Hiddink
14 Stuart Pearce
20 Felipe Scolari
40 Steve Bruce
80 Neil Warnock
2000 Po