• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Footballers

Langeveldt

Soutie
Well as it's the height of battle season, I thought we could carry on things with a Battle of the Footballers thread.. I've compiled a short shortlist which of course I hope will be added to until we get a valid number of players

Not sure if I want to keep tabs with it all the way through, but if we have some volunteers who are willing to do so that would be great!

Here goes..

Andriy Shevchenko (UKR)
Thierry Henry (FRA)
Raul (SPA)
George Best (NI)
Pele (BRA)
Alan Shearer (ENG)
Peter Schmeichel (DEN)
Zinedine Zidane (FRA)
Johan Cruyff (HOL)
Jurgen Klinsmann (GER)
Diego Maradona (ARG)
Dennis Bergkamp (HOL)
Sir Stanley Matthews (ENG)
Marco van Basten (HOL)
Ferenc Puskas (HUN)
Bobby Charlton (ENG)
Ronaldo (BRA)
Franz Beckenbauer (GER)
Ronaldinho (BRA)

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Anna said:
Er. How about I don't think you appreciate the legs :D
Er, how about if you aprreciated good sport instead of good sportsmen you might be raving about entirely different people?

I've heard Peter Schmiechel has nice eyes..

Anna

International Vice-Captain
That is true, he has lovely eyes.

I don't particularly like football that much so I think I'm allowed to appreciate Carlo's legs :D Anyway, he is a dam good keeper. I do know a good player when I see them tho.

Agent TBY

International Captain
This needs to be bigger, actually.

I nominate Zico, Garrincha, Gerd Muller, Raymond Kopa, Just Fontaine, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Romario, Zamorano, Valderrama, Stoichkov, Suker, Brian Laudrup, Michael Laudrup, Gordon Banks, Cantona, Zidane, Platini, Sepp Maier, Roberto Baggio, Paolo Rossi, Franco Baresi, Rijkaard, Gullit, Eusebio, Hagi, Roger Milla, George Weah.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Some others for consideration:

Gerd Muller (West Germany) - scorer of more world cup goals than anyone else (14) & an international goal ratio of better than a goal a game. 65 in 62 IIRC.

Eusebio (Portugal) - The first African superstar (born in Mozambique), top goalscorer in 1966.

Alfredo Di Stefano (Argentina/Columbia/Spain) - played for all 3 countries. Arguably the best midfielder ever, at the heart of the great Real team of the late 50s with Puskas & Raymond Kopa.

Gordon Banks (England) - The Banks of England. Possibly the best goalkeeper ever, certainly made the best save.

Garrincha (Brazil) - Amazing winger born with one leg shorter that the other that he used to his advantage & tormented defenders. Liked an ale; once had *** with a goat (alledgedly).

Lev Yashin (USSR) - The black octopus. Probably the best keeper ever, amazingly acrobatic.

Zico (Brazil) - The white Pele. Hub of the amazing 1982 Brazil team who somehow managed to convince themselves they weren't the best team in the world.

Romario (Brazil) - Best striker in the world in the early 90s. Made wandering back from an offside postion into an artform.

Michael Platini (France) - France's greatest ever player (all due respect to Henry). Over 60 international goals from midfield.

Bobby Moore (England) - Our skipper in '66. Pele's shout as the best ever defender. No pace, but never seemed rushed on the ball.

Roberto Baggio (Italy) - Great in 1990, better in 94. Italy started slowly (losing to Eire), but the divine ponytail was magic in the knock-out stages until he stepped up to the ball on the penalty spot in the final...

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Wynton Rufer - Oceania Player of the Century. Won the European Cup (or it might have been the Cup Winners Cup) with Werder Bremen, scoring the winning goal in the final.

Not that I'd expect many non-NZers to have heard of him.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
BoyBrumby said:
Lev Yashin (USSR) - The black octopus. Probably the best keeper ever, amazingly acrobatic.
Wasn't he also the black panther?

*tries and fails to come up with worthy Norwegians*

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dwight Yorke (TT) - first non-European to score 100 Premiership goals (I think). Obviously the best player to play football in Australia...