• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Footballers

Langeveldt

Soutie
superkingdave said:
Well tbh for me its close between Banks and Zoff for best keeper so obviously i would think it very strange that he would be left out of something like this. IMO there isn't anyone that isn' t on the list that deserves to be there before him. And for those on the list, the following i would rate as probably lesser than him

Sepp Maier (Germany)
Lev Yashin (Russia)
Peter Schmeichel (Denmark)
Ruud Krol (Holland)
Frank Rijkaard (Holland)
Alessandro Nesta (Italy)
Giacinto Facchetti (Italy)
Daniel Passarella (Argentina)
Cafu (Brazil)
Fernando Hierro (Spain)
Zinedine Zidane (France)
Didier Deschamps (France)
Bryan Robson (England)
Roy Keane (Republic of Ireland)
Pavel Nedved (Czech Republic)
Luis Figo (Portugal)
Georghe Hagi (Romania)
Romario (Brazil)
Mario Kempes (Argentina)
Gabriel Batistuta (Argentina)
Hugo Sanchez (Mexico)
Tom Finney (England)
Stanley Matthews (England)
Gary Lineker (England)
Kevin Keegan (England)
Alan Shearer (England)
Just Fontaine (France)
Thierry Henry (France)
Jean-Pierre Papin (France)
Ferenc Puskas (Hungary)
Gerd Muller (Germany)
Karl-Heinz Rummenigge (Germany)
Paolo Rossi (Italy)
Roberto Baggio (Italy)
Alessandro Del Piero (Italy)
Dennis Bergkamp (Holland)
Marco van Basten (Holland)
Emilio Butragueno (Spain)
Raul (Spain)
George Weah (Liberia)

anyway this is just my opinion but Zoff is in my top 20 (probably top 10) of all time, he won the world cup as captain in his 40's and still holds the record for the longest international unbeaten record
haha, well done to whomever released control of this thread..

Oh..

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I honestly couldn't separate Banks, Yashin, Zoff or Shilton - IMO the four greatest goalies of my lifetime.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I'd agree with both of them being in there, but I'm SURE you can find a place for Andriy! Come on, he performs in Italy, EUrope and for Ukraine. He's a better striker than Shearer or Batistuta by a mile.
wtf! surely not....did you ever see batistuta play ?

anyway

George Weah

Cloete

International Captain
sledger said:
wtf! surely not....did you ever see batistuta play ?

anyway

George Weah
Yes of course. I had Serie A coverage and saw alot of his internationals.

Andriy's a more complete player.

I'm also going for George Weah

I think Zoff has to be in there...

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
George Weah for me. Bit tcked off at some of the omissions but I wasn't around so stuck with these nominees.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
OK guys, I accept that leaving Zoff out was probably a bad call, but for now, can we just forget it and get to the voting? Thanks. :)

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Right, voting closed, Weah wins.

Round 1 Matchup 2

Ruud Krol (Holland)

Jean-Pierre Papin (France)

Through to Round 2 so far:
George Weah

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ruud Krol by a fair distance. I don't think Papin's worthy of this company myself. A great goalscorer at domestic level, he never did it when the world was watching France. Krol was the perfect defender for the Dutch "total football" philosophy.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Barney Rubble said:
OK guys, I accept that leaving Zoff out was probably a bad call, but for now, can we just forget it and get to the voting? Thanks. :)
Pity I wasn't here when it started - would've suggested you ran it with battles of different positions, because it's hard to compare a striker with a defender IMO.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Pity I wasn't here when it started - would've suggested you ran it with battles of different positions, because it's hard to compare a striker with a defender IMO.
Would have been a good idea. Ah well.

Krol wins that one.

Round 1 Matchup 3

Roy Keane (Republic of Ireland)

Marco van Basten (Holland)

Through to the next round so far:
George Weah
Ruud Krol

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Van Basten. Such a shame his career was curtailed so cruelly because as a striker he had pretty much everything. Keane was a wonderfully competitive player, possibly the best in his role for a brief while, but not in the same league as a player at all.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Marco van Basten

Keane was decent enough who obviously worked hard at his game, but he was nothing special, Chelsea and Liverpool have better or equally good midfielders, the CDMs had a better midfielder until recently.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
If we're talking vindictiveness, betrayal of his team-mates or sheer mindless over-the-top on-field thuggery, then Keane would win hands down. I wouldn't cross the road to watch Keane. Inspirational in a sort of Attila the Hun way.

Van Basten for me in all the areas that count.