• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Footballers

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Agent TBY said:
And you're Dutch. :-O
yes...well it has more to do with his past then his present. his first apperances for holland he was absolutely useless :D
with Man u he was awesome :D
Bergkamp is in i see...and Overmars should be..man was he awesome when fit !

Cloete

International Captain
Barney Rubble said:
Adams and Shevchenko removed in favour of Hierro and Garrincha.

Problem with adding people is that I just can't find grounds for removing most of the players I've got there.
I'd agree with both of them being in there, but I'm SURE you can find a place for Andriy! Come on, he performs in Italy, EUrope and for Ukraine. He's a better striker than Shearer or Batistuta by a mile.

Also I think Manuel Amoros should find a place, maybe Harald Schumacher (I think he's better than Maier!) and Manfred Kaltz.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Remind me never, ever, to take up ownership of a Battle thread ever again. 8-)

Right, let's sort out who's going out and who's coming in. General concensus is that Stuart Pearce shouldn't be there and that Carlos Alberto should, so that's happening.

John Charles is going in without doubt, I'll take out Cantona as he played little international football.

Shevchenko isn't in there on the grounds of never having played in a World Cup. Can't remember whether I kept Giggs in there or not, but if I did, I'll take him out too and replace him with Del Piero to placate Pete. :p

EDIT: Before someone mentions it, I know Charles never played in a World Cup, but he's different. World Cups only had about 8 teams back then. :p

Last edited:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Barney Rubble said:
Goalkeepers
Lev Yashin (Russia)
Peter Schmeichel (Denmark)
Gordon Banks (England)
Sepp Maier (Germany)

Defenders
Bobby Moore (England)
Ruud Krol (Holland)
Frank Rijkaard (Holland)
Franco Baresi (Italy)
Paolo Maldini (Italy)
Alessandro Nesta (Italy)
Giacinto Facchetti (Italy)
Franz Beckenbauer (Germany)
Lothar Matthaus (Germany)
Daniel Passarella (Argentina)
Cafu (Brazil)
Carlos Alberto Parreira (Brazil)
Fernando Hierro (Spain)

Midfielders
Michel Platini (France)
Zinedine Zidane (France)
Didier Deschamps (France)
Bobby Charlton (England)
Bryan Robson (England)
Ruud Gullit (Holland)
Johan Cruijff (Holland)
Ronaldinho (Brazil)
Jairzinho (Brazil)
Zico (Brazil)
Socrates (Brazil)
Roy Keane (Republic of Ireland)
Pavel Nedved (Czech Republic)
Luis Figo (Portugal)
Georghe Hagi (Romania)

Forwards
Pele (Brazil)
Romario (Brazil)
Rivelino (Brazil)
Ronaldo (Brazil)
Garrincha (Brazil)
Diego Maradona (Argentina)
Mario Kempes (Argentina)
Alfredo Di Stefano (Argentina)
Gabriel Batistuta (Argentina)
Hugo Sanchez (Mexico)
Tom Finney (England)
Stanley Matthews (England)
Gary Lineker (England)
Kevin Keegan (England)
Alan Shearer (England)
Just Fontaine (France)
Thierry Henry (France)
Jean-Pierre Papin (France)
Ferenc Puskas (Hungary)
Gerd Muller (Germany)
Karl-Heinz Rummenigge (Germany)
Paolo Rossi (Italy)
Roberto Baggio (Italy)
Alessandro Del Piero (Italy)
Dennis Bergkamp (Holland)
Marco van Basten (Holland)
George Best (Northern Ireland)
Eusebio (Portugal)
Emilio Butragueno (Spain)
Raul (Spain)
George Weah (Liberia)
John Charles (Wales)
Players in bold are new additions.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Barney Rubble said:
Remind me never, ever, to take up ownership of a Battle thread ever again. 8-)
Total schoolboy error, I have a habit of creating hard to manage things (like the CWXI) and letting others assume control of them! All play no work.. :D

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
andyc said:
Tony Lockett?
LOL! You legend Andy.

A pity we only have a small group of Aussie Rules fans, because a battle of the Aussie Rules footballers would rule.

Lockett vs. Ablett. Carey vs. Dunstall.

Richo vs. Coleman :unsure: :p

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Richo = great theatre :cool: Love watching him. Thank God we never got rid of him.

Anyway I will cease and desist hijacking this thread from the football (soccer) fans ;)

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Right, due to me not being arsed to wait any longer, we're starting the battle today. Draw is completely at random.

Round 1 Matchup 1

George Weah (Liberia)

I'm gonna do a running list of who's through to the next round as each matchup is completed. Voting closes whenever I get up tomorrow morning. :p

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Barney Rubble said:
EDIT: Before someone mentions it, I know Charles never played in a World Cup, but he's different. World Cups only had about 8 teams back then. :p
Oh, oh, me, sir!!! Can I be a pedant?!? :D

I'm 99% certain John Charles played in the 1958 WC with yer Taffs. IIRC they lost to Brazil in the quarters.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think I'll be going for George Weah this battle. For a time in the mid 90s he was probably the best player in the world; it's a pity he never got to display his talents on the greatest stage. Deschamps was a vital cog in the France machine, but never really a player to quicken the pulse. Viera, for me, is somewhat better in a similar role.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:

I'm 99% certain John Charles played in the 1958 WC with yer Taffs. IIRC they lost to Brazil in the quarters.
I try to pre-empt you and I still mess it up. :p Didn't think Wales had ever made a WC. Oh well.

And as regards Zoff, he was a great keeper, but there are loads of players for whom there simply aren't room in this list. He's an unlucky one.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
BoyBrumby said:

Yes you can be a pedant, but you should have asked "may I be a pedant?"

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
I try to pre-empt you and I still mess it up. :p Didn't think Wales had ever made a WC. Oh well.

And as regards Zoff, he was a great keeper, but there are loads of players for whom there simply aren't room in this list. He's an unlucky one.

Well tbh for me its close between Banks and Zoff for best keeper so obviously i would think it very strange that he would be left out of something like this. IMO there isn't anyone that isn' t on the list that deserves to be there before him. And for those on the list, the following i would rate as probably lesser than him

Sepp Maier (Germany)
Lev Yashin (Russia)
Peter Schmeichel (Denmark)
Ruud Krol (Holland)
Frank Rijkaard (Holland)
Alessandro Nesta (Italy)
Giacinto Facchetti (Italy)
Daniel Passarella (Argentina)
Cafu (Brazil)
Fernando Hierro (Spain)
Zinedine Zidane (France)
Bryan Robson (England)
Roy Keane (Republic of Ireland)
Pavel Nedved (Czech Republic)
Luis Figo (Portugal)
Georghe Hagi (Romania)
Romario (Brazil)
Mario Kempes (Argentina)
Gabriel Batistuta (Argentina)
Hugo Sanchez (Mexico)
Tom Finney (England)
Stanley Matthews (England)
Gary Lineker (England)
Kevin Keegan (England)
Alan Shearer (England)
Just Fontaine (France)
Thierry Henry (France)
Jean-Pierre Papin (France)
Ferenc Puskas (Hungary)
Gerd Muller (Germany)
Karl-Heinz Rummenigge (Germany)
Paolo Rossi (Italy)
Roberto Baggio (Italy)
Alessandro Del Piero (Italy)
Dennis Bergkamp (Holland)
Marco van Basten (Holland)
Emilio Butragueno (Spain)
Raul (Spain)
George Weah (Liberia)

anyway this is just my opinion but Zoff is in my top 20 (probably top 10) of all time, he won the world cup as captain in his 40's and still holds the record for the longest international unbeaten record