• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Paolo Di Canio & Fascism in football

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Uppercut said:
That's embarrassing, he has a tattooed tribute to Mussolini ffs.
Heh yea it's funny how they still think they can get people to swallow the whole "he's not a fascist" line. That ship sailed many years ago. I know Mackems are a bit thick, not as bad as Geordies but up there. But I doubt even they'd believe this crock of ****e. The board might have gotten away with saying he's a reformed character or some such, but not now.

The fallout is going to brilliant entertainment mind.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Meh why is this a big deal now but wasn't when he was at Swindon? If he's a **** he's a ****, whoever he's working for.
Yeah, the thought had occurred to me too.

The only thing I can think of is that he's now far more in the public eye. Will be on national TV every week etc...

Like you say though, the fact that he's an extremely dubious character is not exactly new information.

cpr

International Coach
Picture on Twitter before taken from his autobiography, going on about immigration. Basically saying he has no issue with race, creed etc so long as a person is willing to intigrate into a society, and in many cases society itself lets the immigrants down by not encouraging integration enough.

Sounds like a right rascist.

Once again it seems to be my biggest political bugbear, people confusing Italian Fascism for Nazicism, forgetting that Italy ran for 10 years under a Fascist leadership which came under great praise for stabilizing the country after the war. The Fascist Manifesto shows what a bunch of right wing nutters they were. Of course after about 1929 Mussolini was seduced by Hitler, and everything changed.

Whilst Di Canio was certainly a ****head for things he's done, eg that salute, saying you believe in Fascist policy does not make you a racist Nazi.

Last edited:

Pothas

As I mentioned earlier I think one of Swindon's sponsors withdrew when he was appointed so there were some murmurings. As you say though it is largely because it is the Premiership and it is always going to get more attention.

Pothas

Picture on Twitter before taken from his autobiography, going on about immigration. Basically saying he has no issue with race, creed etc so long as a person is willing to intigrate into a society, and in many cases society itself lets the immigrants down by not encouraging integration enough.

Sounds like a right rascist.

Once again it seems to be my biggest political bugbear, people confusing Italian Fascism for Nazicism, forgetting that Italy ran for 10 years under a Fascist leadership which came under great praise for stabilizing the country after the war. The Fascist Manifesto shows what a bunch of right wing nutters they were. Of course after about 1929 Mussolini was seduced by Hitler, and everything changed.

Whilst Di Canio was certainly a ****head for things he's done, eg that salute, saying you believe in Fascist policy does not make you a racist Nazi.
Well I don’t think I would go along with a benign view of the Mussolini regime before 1929 and di Canio has a tattoo of him being perfectly aware of what happened in the 30s and 40s, but yeah you can be a fascist without subscribing to biological racism.

That statement on immigration is the sort of thing we are used to hearing from all sorts of different people and parties, some of who are racist and some who are not.

This does not change the fact that Sunderland are denying that he is a fascist sympathiser, which quite obviously he is.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fuller summed it up on the first page I think- it's certainly possible to be a fascist but not a racist but it's also very unlikely. FWIW nothing I ever studied about Mussolini was anything other than extremely critical.

I'm not exactly a Di Canio fan but in interviews he's always willing to defend his beliefs and while very suspect they're not so offensive that we should be critical of clubs who don't ostracise him. It's just comical of Sunderland to say 'he's not a Fascist' though, he openly is.

cpr

International Coach
Well yeah, but when has anything that has come out Sunderland (club/people/town in general) being anything but ****?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Fair enough to say that his political points aren't relevant. Comical to try and spin it like he's actually a decent misunderstood bloke, though.

Burgey

It was more than an eye opener to attend an English football match in 2011 and hear the racist epithets flow from some members of the crowd. Quite often and quite brazenly.

Mind you, you hear mutterings at times in crowds here too, but I was taken with how overt it was in the UK.

Paolo seems a right **** though, doesn't he?

Uppercut

Apparently the appointment was actually the result of a misunderstanding- Di Canio thought he was taking over the Sudetenland.