Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paolo Di Canio & Fascism in football

As far as racism overall is concerned we have seen that there are still massive problems in europe and Britain probably now has the best reputation in europe i really dont think there is much racism in brittish football

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    Unfortunately football has always attracted a lunatic fringe (over here I believe the BNP & Combat 18 have used football as a recruiting ground), but Di Canio's actions are fuel to the fire.
    That's little to do with football, tho...it comes from football being the most-followed sport so naturally there will be the most lunatics there too.

But the Italian board are probably scared that the Nazis will turn off the TV screens if di Canio is banned. Or something...
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

It is not as though it is the first time he has done it and in particular in the derby against Roma (which Roma lost 0-3).

And in case of what Brumby has said the guy even wrote an essay that II Duce was mis-understood. Definatly a hard case.

But Di Canio isn't as bad, one has to think back to the duals of Mihajlovic and Vieria when they were at Lazio and Arsenal respectively.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
    I didn't think there was anything which could make me hate my own team's manager any more than I already do, but lo and behold, Redknapp has managed to sink to even lower depths.

Di Canio's actions are completely unacceptable, obviously - the worrying thing is, they're symptomatic of problems that are present throughout European football these days, particularly Italy and Spain. The Premiership is probably the most racially-accommodating league in Europe, and even here we have our idiots too - most of them are fans of Millwall or West Ham.

I hope Di Canio never returns to the Premiership - and if he ever does, I hope he comes across Michael Essien on a very bad day.
    Why wait for a very bad day? Essien looks very angry at the moment, so a bad day won't do anything to start him off.

C_C
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas
    As far as racism overall is concerned we have seen that there are still massive problems in europe and Britain probably now has the best reputation in europe i really dont think there is much racism in brittish football

Well Britain is significantly better in dealing with racism than America or even Australia,but AFAIK, the most tolerant states in Europe are the scandinavian nations and iceland.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C_C
    Well Britain is significantly better in dealing with racism than America or even Australia,but AFAIK, the most tolerant states in Europe are the scandinavian nations and iceland.
    Actually, I'd say that's pretty definitively incorrect. There's a very strong lunatic racist fringe in places like Denmark and Holland and so forth.

Someone like Hakon would be able to say so with more authority than me.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave
    and even here we have our idiots too - most of them are fans of Millwall or West Ham.
    'S not like they're winning anything to spread their influence though!
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Actually, I'd say that's pretty definitively incorrect. There's a very strong lunatic racist fringe in places like Denmark and Holland and so forth.

Denmark certainly so. The current government is running the country in such a way that a bunch of Danish authors recently went out and condemned the government for their attitudes, claiming that there is an "obvious discrimination of the ethnic minorities in Denmark", and that the Danish government's plans to refuse citizenship to torture victims who can not learn Danish "is a horror lacking a like in newer Danish judicial history". They also compared the immigration policies to Nazi Germany in the 30s.

Holland...dunno. Ask Tarick.

Sweden used to have plenty of violent neo-Nazis, no political influence but, I believe, quite visible especially in rural communities, and there's a fair bit of hooliganism - some of it related to racism, I believe.

Norway has Fremskrittspartiet, who aren't quite as awful as Front National in France or Jörg Haider's league in Austria, but still has a few lovely quotes from their party programme: "Frp wishes to ensure that immigrant parents, in the same way as Norwegian parents, will be responsible for their children's upbringing in accordance with Norwegian law". "A child's education in the mother tongue of <i>their parents</i> shall not be a public responsibility" (their cursive!) Did I mention that these blokes get a fifth of the popular votes?

Iceland...they're a bunch of fishermen on an island, with the odd filmmaker and writer. Never heard much about racism there, but then again I don't suppose they have that many problems with people getting in in the first place. So they can be happily tolerant on the grounds that the people they need to be tolerant to are several thousands of miles away. (I have heard that people wishing to apply for Icelandic citizenship need to follow Icelandic name laws, i.e. if Rohan Gavaskar wished to become Icelandic he'd be renamed to Rohan Sunilsson, but I'm not quite sure - for anyone who's better at Icelandic than me, the law is here: http://www.althingi.is/lagasofn/nuna/1996045.html).

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by C_C
    I've heard a lot of white and black South Africans say they are convinced that the next racial conflict will take place in Holland, and then spread around Western Europe.. Which I find interesting as a European.. We've already seen things flare up in Paris and the north of England.. Im tempted to believe them but I'm not sure what, if anything, will spark it off..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes
    Denmark certainly so. The current government is running the country in such a way that a bunch of Danish authors recently went out and condemned the government for their attitudes, claiming that there is an "obvious discrimination of the ethnic minorities in Denmark", and that the Danish government's plans to refuse citizenship to torture victims who can not learn Danish "is a horror lacking a like in newer Danish judicial history". They also compared the immigration policies to Nazi Germany in the 30s.

Holland...dunno. Ask Tarick.

Sweden used to have plenty of violent neo-Nazis, no political influence but, I believe, quite visible especially in rural communities, and there's a fair bit of hooliganism - some of it related to racism, I believe.

Norway has Fremskrittspartiet, who aren't quite as awful as Front National in France or Jörg Haider's league in Austria, but still has a few lovely quotes from their party programme: "Frp wishes to ensure that immigrant parents, in the same way as Norwegian parents, will be responsible for their children's upbringing in accordance with Norwegian law". "A child's education in the mother tongue of <i>their parents</i> shall not be a public responsibility" (their cursive!) Did I mention that these blokes get a fifth of the popular votes?

Iceland...they're a bunch of fishermen on an island, with the odd filmmaker and writer. Never heard much about racism there, but then again I don't suppose they have that many problems with people getting in in the first place. So they can be happily tolerant on the grounds that the people they need to be tolerant to are several thousands of miles away. (I have heard that people wishing to apply for Icelandic citizenship need to follow Icelandic name laws, i.e. if Rohan Gavaskar wished to become Icelandic he'd be renamed to Rohan Sunilsson, but I'm not quite sure - for anyone who's better at Icelandic than me, the law is here: http://www.althingi.is/lagasofn/nuna/1996045.html).
    So if those poor souls learn Danish they get Danish citzenship then or what happens?

I suppose Danish is a pretty brutal language to learn?

Pinball Champion!
    Leicester becomes the first city where white people will be a minority by 2007, I can't imagine everyone "tolerating" for so long? It took 150 years to work here, its a subject that fascinates me a lot but obviously not a great one for the dinner table!

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    You know, I swear whites were a minority in Delhi ages ago...
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

C_C
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad

Well, scandinavian nation was a bit vague for me i suppose but i meant Norway/Sweden/Finland/Iceland.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    So if those poor souls learn Danish they get Danish citzenship then or what happens?

I suppose Danish is a pretty brutal language to learn?
    That's assuming they aren't thrown out because they have no citizenship and their country is presumably safe.

Scandinavia = Norway, Sweden, Denmark, btw. Nordic countries includes Finland and Iceland, too. At least, that's the definition I learnt in school...

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    Leicester becomes the first city where white people will be a minority by 2007, I can't imagine everyone "tolerating" for so long? It took 150 years to work here, its a subject that fascinates me a lot but obviously not a great one for the dinner table!
    Doesn't bother me one little bit - a few more good restaurants to try too, with a bit of luck.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information