• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup Draw 2006

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Don't know if there is a separate thread for this....couldn't find one but apologies if there is one.

The Socceroos have drawn Brazil (Yikes!), Croatia and Japan.
I still feel pretty confident we can get through to the 2nd round.

How do you asses some of the other groups ?

Engalnd and Germany I think got good groups.

Italy, Usa, Ghana and Czech Republic will be very tough!

Blaze

Banned
There is some discussion on it in the English domestic thread but I think another thread is fine, particuarly for supporters of other sides.

My side Holland drew a pretty tough group (Arg, Ivory Coast and Serbia) but you have to beat the best to win a world cup and I think we will get through.

atichon

School Boy/Girl Captain
France's group is an easy one, but on our current form and with our current team of has-beens and never-wanna-bes, I wouldn't fancy too much our qualification.

I expect at least 1 point for a draw against Togo

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, Group C is gonna be yer actual "Group of Death™".

Looking at the way the draw pans out, assuming we win our group we'll probably be looking at Poland in Round 2 & (Boo!, Where's your Malvinas gone?!? ;) ) Argentina in the Quarters. So it's a plucky exit in the Quarters again. 8-)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
Is anyone going to run some sort of contest on the WC?
I would expect so, and indeed probably a seperate forum to discuss it too. It's a while off yet, though.

PY

International Coach
archie mac said:
If things are true to form then there will be many a competition started and dying with the odd one surviving for the whole thing. :)

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Blaze said:
There is some discussion on it in the English domestic thread but I think another thread is fine, particuarly for supporters of other sides.

My side Holland drew a pretty tough group (Arg, Ivory Coast and Serbia) but you have to beat the best to win a world cup and I think we will get through.
your side! its my side :happy:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Australia have a very tough group, Brazil will almost certainly go through but any of the other teams could i reakon go with them so we shall have to wait and see.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
aussie said:
which group side will england face in the round of 16?
If we win our group we'll play the runners-up of Group A (my guess would be Poland) & if we're 2nd in Group B the winners of A (probably Germany). I can't see Costa Rica or Ecuador doing a lot.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
age_master said:
Australia have a very tough group, Brazil will almost certainly go through but any of the other teams could i reakon go with them so we shall have to wait and see.
Nah, you're buggered, mate! ;)

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
:laugh: I bet $10 that Australia would be in the same pool as Croatia.

When I found out, I punched the wall! I mean, winning money is good, but this is bad! I support Croatia above Australia, but I wanted both to do well obviously. And since Brazil will get through... :-O

Go Croatia!

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Have to say I roared with laughter when Australia got Brazil. I was praying that if the Socceroos weren't there for us to beat, they'd be given a royal stuffing by the best team in the tournament. :p

Our group shouldn't be a problem.

Does anyone else feel really sorry for Michael Essien? His team got drawn in an impossible group for them, and he's pretty much a one-man team (with Appiah contributing occasionally). He must be thinking "oh bugger, better get on the treadmill......". :D

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Barney Rubble said:
Does anyone else feel really sorry for Michael Essien? His team got drawn in an impossible group for them, and he's pretty much a one-man team (with Appiah contributing occasionally). He must be thinking "oh bugger, better get on the treadmill......". :D
I think Didi Hamann has already sent his condolences.... :p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
archie mac said:
There's no doubt be a Fantasy World Cup.

Someone (more than likely me since it's just after the end of my exams) will run a predictions thing I expect.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
If we win our group we'll play the runners-up of Group A (my guess would be Poland) & if we're 2nd in Group B the winners of A (probably Germany). I can't see Costa Rica or Ecuador doing a lot.
cool, hopefully we win our group so as to have a easy passage to the Q-Finals.