• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup Draw 2006

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
jamesryfler said:
Don't know if there is a separate thread for this....couldn't find one but apologies if there is one.

The Socceroos have drawn Brazil (Yikes!), Croatia and Japan.
I still feel pretty confident we can get through to the 2nd round.
How do you asses some of the other groups ?

Engalnd and Germany I think got good groups.

Italy, Usa, Ghana and Czech Republic will be very tough!
Don't want to be a sore thumb Mate, but I doubt very much that the Aussies will beat or even get a draw against Brazil or Croatia. So Japan is the only game that will hold any hope for you guys . And from observing the Japs at previous World Cup - to win that you will need all your players in top form and fit - the Vidukas, Kewells etc. etc.

A win against Japan and a draw against one of the others may just get Aussies to the next round. But this will need a lot of things going your way. But Gus Huidink is a great coach and there's always an unknown factor called "luck" . Here's wishing that you do make it to the next Round !! :D :D

Cloete

International Captain
Nnanden said:
:laugh: I bet $10 that Australia would be in the same pool as Croatia.

When I found out, I punched the wall! I mean, winning money is good, but this is bad! I support Croatia above Australia, but I wanted both to do well obviously. And since Brazil will get through... :-O

Go Croatia!
That's absolutely appauling! You were born in Australia!!!

There has to be some way we can get you deported :D

steds

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
Don't want to be a sore thumb Mate, but I doubt very much that the Aussies will beat or even get a draw against Brazil or Croatia. So Japan is the only game that will hold any hope for you guys . And from observing the Japs at previous World Cup - to win that you will need all your players in top form and fit - the Vidukas, Kewells etc. etc.

A win against Japan and a draw against one of the others may just get Aussies to the next round. But this will need a lot of things going your way. But Gus Huidink is a great coach and there's always an unknown factor called "luck" . Here's wishing that you do make it to the next Round !! :D :D
Australia is better than you're giving them credit for. I think they can beat both Croatia and Japan. Whether they will is another matter...

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
steds said:
Australia is better than you're giving them credit for. I think they can beat both Croatia and Japan. Whether they will is another matter...
Having lived there for over 8-9 years I know they are a good side, and as a sporting nation that aspires to be the best in most sports and where athletes push themselves to be the best, I have no doubt they will give their best shot at it .

But fantasy is one thing and reality is another .

And even most die hard Aussies will admit that if they can put one past Croatia they would have done some thing extra extra ordinary !!!

Believe me, I am hoping that they can do it too. :D :D

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
JASON said:

What have Croatia got that Australia haven't? Dado Prso? :p

Anna

International Vice-Captain
I doubt I'm alone here in thinking....Sweden again? In every WC/Euro comp I can remember we seem to have played them!!

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
What have Croatia got that Australia haven't? Dado Prso? :p
Ivica Mornar..... :ph34r: (Heh - by that logic, Portsmouth > Australia)

Seriously though, the Aussies' lack of experience in international football will hurt them, I think. As will the fact that their entire defence is full of players incapable of doing anything on a football pitch that doesn't involve the vicious hurling of oneself towards an opponent's ankles/knees/throat.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Anna said:
I doubt I'm alone here in thinking....Sweden again? In every WC/Euro comp I can remember we seem to have played them!!
True. We play them all the time, and we still haven't beaten them for nearly 40 years, iirc

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
As will the fact that their entire defence is full of players incapable of doing anything on a football pitch that doesn't involve the vicious hurling of oneself towards an opponent's ankles/knees/throat.
Has Gorden Tallis taken up football now?

...oh, wait. You didn't say anything about sly digs in an opponent's back after he's scored, so obviously not.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
steds said:
Has Gorden Tallis taken up football now?

...oh, wait. You didn't say anything about sly digs in an opponent's back after he's scored, so obviously not.
I have no idea who Gorden Tallis is (I'm assuming a rugby player) so I'm just going to ignore that and reinforce my point that the by my logic, Portsmouth > Australia, so if Australia beat Brazil somehow, Portsmouth > Brazil and Gary O'Neil > Ronaldinho. :D :p

Craig

World Traveller
Barney Rubble said:
Have to say I roared with laughter when Australia got Brazil. I was praying that if the Socceroos weren't there for us to beat, they'd be given a royal stuffing by the best team in the tournament. :p

Our group shouldn't be a problem.

Does anyone else feel really sorry for Michael Essien? His team got drawn in an impossible group for them, and he's pretty much a one-man team (with Appiah contributing occasionally). He must be thinking "oh bugger, better get on the treadmill......". :D
Now they must be wishing that those in the French team who might have backgrounds to Ghana (Desailly is one but he too old and crap) hadn't taken up the chance to play for them and play for Ghana instead.

When you think about, France is probably the most multicultral team in the world, with players coming from the French terrorities (ie Martinque) and from different countries in Africa, or their parents or grandparents that are not from France.

And if those who remember, three teams in Italy's group were also together back in Italia '90 (and no I didn't do a Google search).