• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

George Best

a massive zebra

International Captain
Footballing legend George Best is unlikely to survive another 24 hours, his doctor has said.

"I have to tell you his hours are numbered," Professor Roger Williams said at Cromwell Hospital, west London, at 1250 GMT.

The ex-Northern Ireland and Manchester United star, 59, deteriorated with a lung infection on Friday, after almost eight weeks in hospital.

Professor Williams said on Thursday: "Mr Best is coming to the end of the long road of his ill health.

"The situation is that medically the intensive care team and everybody concerned have managed to cope with pretty well all of the complications except the one that has happened again during the night - this bleeding.

"Although [the blood] has been replaced, it has now affected the lungs and other parts, and there is really no return from that situation.

"It is just not possible to recover from that."

He added: "He is still having standard medical care and treatment but I have to tell you that his hours are numbered now and it's all very upsetting."

Best's closest family arrived at the west London hospital on Thursday looking very upset and asked the gathered media not to film or photograph them as they went in.

Professor Williams said: "We have just all been sitting down together and it's very upsetting for everybody, isn't it - those looking after him, the family.

"I have talked to them at great length, I think they understand everything... I think they accept what's going to happen."

Ex-wife turned celebrity Alex Best added "It seems a shame to lose him on the day licensing laws finally get extended."

Best was admitted to hospital on 1 October with flu-like symptoms, and suffered a kidney infection and internal bleeding before the latest decline.

Drugs needed after his liver transplant in 2002 had made the recovering alcoholic more susceptible to infection.

Things had looked more positive earlier in the week when Best regained consciousness.

He was taken off sedation and described as "fairly stable" by Professor Williams.

But then his condition deteriorated once more between 0100 and 0200 GMT on Wednesday.

Best helped Manchester United win the European Cup in 1968 - the first English club to do so - and he was European Footballer of the Year that same year.

His style captivated football fans around the world but his playboy lifestyle degenerated into alcoholism and bankruptcy.

Last edited:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Hate to say this, but next time give replacement organs to people who'll take advantage of the second chance.

Sad, though, great player.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tom Halsey said:
Hate to say this, but next time give replacement organs to people who'll take advantage of the second chance.

Sad, though, great player.
Best has donated his organs for transplant apparently which is obviously a good thing, dunno how many of them would still be in working order tho.

shaka

International Regular
I think they have stopped treating him, not sure if that is true tho, heard it from somewhere.

PY

International Coach
There's no more treatment being given other than pain killing I believe.

It is a very sad story, though it's tinged with regret that someone couldn't use the second chance to better effect than Mr Best's body managed. A real life story of talent being ruined by money going to someone's head and all that success brings with it. Alcohol has ruined someone who seemed amicable when not under the influence.

I hope he passes away peacefully and thoughts go out to the family.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Best passes away

A statment from the hospital said Best died in intensive care on Friday afternoon following "a long and very valiant fight". At least the agony for the family is finaly over but a very sad day.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
RIP.

Just been watching a tribute show on Sky. He was a genuinely great player. Comparisons across the ages are often facile, but he was certainly the most gifted player of his generation.

With regards to fame ruining him, I don't think so myself. His mother died of alcohol-related causes in her early 50s. There is every chance he'd have been an alcoholic even without his ability & the attendant renown.

A footballing genius & an all-too flawed human being. My thoughts are with his family.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
RIP.

Just been watching a tribute show on Sky. He was a genuinely great player. Comparisons across the ages are often facile, but he was certainly the most gifted player of his generation.

With regards to fame ruining him, I don't think so myself. His mother died of alcohol-related causes in her early 50s. There is every chance he'd have been an alcoholic even without his ability & the attendant renown.

A footballing genius & an all-too flawed human being. My thoughts are with his family.
Well said. People talk too much about his problems at a time like this, when what they should be remembering is that he was undoubtedly the greatest player to play football in this country. A true legend of the game.

RIP. Thoughts are with his family.

Piper

International Captain
RIP.. Never really got a chance to see him play, on TV or otherwise, but he was a great player.. Too bad things turned out the way it did.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
RIP - whilst i don't think he was as great a player as some people make out, he was definately special and its sad that he has passed away at this time

Craig

World Traveller
Tom Halsey said:
RIP.

Truly great player - as someone said earlier, shame he didn't make the most of his second chance.
It was you and Pete :p

Sad to hear though and RIP.

And funnily enough when he was play at his peak IIRC Nortern Ireland wore ranked in FIFA's top 10 instead of now where they now rank behind countries like Jordan and Vietnam.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I shudder to think of what Best would have been like as a player nowadays - there really is only one player at the moment who comes close as far as skill, speed and balance, and that is Ronaldinho.

When you get the opportunity to watch some of the old stuff, just remember that that oaf of a full back who Best has just waltzed around before he has knocked the ball into the net has probably brought him down (or at least tried to) a dozen times in the game already.

RIP George. I truly hated your guts when you played against my team, but I couldn't take my eyes off you.