• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

George Best

Slow Love™

International Captain
RIP. I've only been really aware of Best peripherally, usually within the context of his lifestyle as much as for his football skills. And I've never really been a fan of soccer (sorry).

But I was watching a report last night, and I was actually really amazed at his skills. His problems with alcohol are unfortunate (particularly after his transplant), but that's the true nature of addiction, I guess.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Best.Tribute.Ever......

I hope every match this weekend follows the example set at Wolves this lunchtime.

Not a minute's silence, but a minute's applause - a very apt tribute to the greatest player to grace the game within these shores.

It's interesting to note that Maradona said that Best '....was his inspiration'.

/back to lurking - see you all at Christmas

PY

International Coach
Dirty Man City and Liverpool fans.

Disgrace, not that I expected anything different.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Personally I don't agree with these minute silence things, but obviously you should still go along with them. All these idiots who keep calling Best a great man are seriously wearing my patience tho, he might, just about, arguably have been a great player, but never in a million years was he a great man.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
he might, just about, arguably have been a great player
I suppose you prefer Collingwood? 8-)

Unquestionably the best player ever to play in this country, and yes, unquestionably a great player. Pele said he was the greatest player there's ever been, for Pete's sake. Pele. I know he says some dumb things, but that means something.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Barney Rubble said:
I suppose you prefer Collingwood? 8-)

Unquestionably the best player ever to play in this country, and yes, unquestionably a great player. Pele said he was the greatest player there's ever been, for Pete's sake. Pele. I know he says some dumb things, but that means something.
Like I said he probably is a great player, but more because of his exceptional, possibly unique ability, not because of his playing record - obviously didn't get to do much for his country and he didn't fully realise his potential as a footballer. Bobby Charlton for instance strongly overshadows Best career-wise. If he had that career record it would be totally beyond doubt that Best was a great player.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
Like I said he probably is a great player, but more because of his exceptional, possibly unique ability, not because of his playing record - obviously didn't get to do much for his country and he didn't fully realise his potential as a footballer. Bobby Charlton for instance strongly overshadows Best career-wise. If he had that career record it would be totally beyond doubt that Best was a great player.
Right, I see where you're coming from now. If he'd been English I agree, he'd have had an opportunity to win things at international level etc, so yeah, if you're going to define greatness that way then he probably wasn't.

I'll rephrase - the most talented player ever to play in this country.