• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

British sports personality of the year

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Bit harsh on Giggs, yes winning player of the year was a bit of a joke, but he's a 36 year old guy absolutely tearing the hell out of premiership defences (i'd say he's been better this season than last), and is outperforming some of Englands top stars. I think he deserves recognition for what he's doing and how easy he's making it look despite his age. Not a winner, but worth nomination
Agree completely with this, unsurprisingly.

The award is supposed to go to a personality apparently, which immediately rules out most of this list.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
True, but if an English footballer broke the all-time record for goals in a World Cup Qualifying campaign (including, amongst other things, a hat-trick to beat Spain 3-2) he'd win the award so conclusively it would barely be worth holding a ceremony. Healy did it in a vastly inferior team and didn't even warrant a mention.

I don't overly care in truth, but the people in Norn Iron who take the award seriously do have a pretty legitimate grievance.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agree completely with this, unsurprisingly.

The award is supposed to go to a personality apparently, which immediately rules out most of this list.
Yeah. Graeme Swann should have it nailed down if we're taking the award's title literally.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well, it's one of the reason's I wouldn't vote for Giggs and think Ennis is a worthy winner is that she posesses a "personality".

Mind you it's the most tired joke in the world whether this award is an oxymoron or a contradiction in terms, and with the likes of Davis, Mansell, Faldo, Hendry and Damon ****ing Hill, it's hard to argue at times.:unsure:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Have voted for Strauss, never understood F1 winners, 'tis the car surely.

BTW an heptathlete and a triple-jumper have won this before, so it wouldn't be that odd if either took it out. Ennis would be my second choice.
Yeah but the triple jumper that won transended the event and was the greatest ever and set a world record that still stands over 10 years on. That doesnt compare to a guy (ie Idowu) who has a personal best that wouldnt have even been the best jump back in 1975. What Idowu pales in comparision to what Edwards did.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
True, but if an English footballer broke the all-time record for goals in a World Cup Qualifying campaign (including, amongst other things, a hat-trick to beat Spain 3-2) he'd win the award so conclusively it would barely be worth holding a ceremony. Healy did it in a vastly inferior team and didn't even warrant a mention.
Up until Healy did it it is a record I have never heard anyone talk about previously. It is a nothing record. Nice but meaningless. It carries no glory. Breaking a record noone cares about doesnt really elevate someone.

No kid dreams of becoming the all-time record goal scorer in a World Cup Qualifying campaign. They dream of other more important and glamerous things.

cpr

International Coach
I think Button has a fair case as watching him drive at times he's shown some outstanding quality. In a sport ridiculed for lack of overtaking, some of the moves he's made are breathtaking.

Ennis and Idowu never heard of, least someone like Daley has transcribed from a **** sport no-one cares about to the public eye, albeit for his age.

Haye and Cavendish have really put their sports back on the map. Admittedly neither have been far away.... Britain have had Lewis in recent years on the heavyweight scene, but Haye has finally dragged us back to the top, whilst Hay has rightly been acknowledged for cycling last year, but Cavendish has kept cycling at the top, in the most prestigious tournament on earth (and one were not very good at!)

Strauss bless him is riding the Ashes eurphoria, which lets face it, was more jammy than sublime.... Do we hold the same hope for English cricket being world no 1 as we do for Murray?? First time weve had a tennis player worth caring about since Perry (sorry Henman, but you were **** outside mid June)

Still Button or Haye for me, prefer Haye, with Murray 3rd... wouldnt whinge about Cavendish in the mix

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Darren Clarke was odds-on to take it that year after helping win the Ryder Cup just after his wife died. There's a feeling in Northern Ireland that the whole thing is ridiculously Anglo-centric, David Healy didn't even make the nominations when he broke the World Cup Qualifiers goalscoring record.

Personally I don't care in the slightest, the whole award is so full of **** that it makes me mildly angry.
Well of course it's Anglo-centric. It gets voted for by the public and there are about 50 million more people in England than Northern Ireland.

It's why Calzaghe's win was a bit of a surprise, and I doubt Hoy would have won had he represented Scotland rather than GB

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well of course it's Anglo-centric. It gets voted for by the public and there are about 50 million more people in England than Northern Ireland.

It's why Calzaghe's win was a bit of a surprise, and I doubt Hoy would have won had he represented Scotland rather than GB
Calzaghe's English as roast beef, tbf. Born in Hammersmith.

grecian

Yeah but the triple jumper that won transended the event and was the greatest ever and set a world record that still stands over 10 years on. That doesnt compare to a guy (ie Idowu) who has a personal best that wouldnt have even been the best jump back in 1975. What Idowu pales in comparision to what Edwards did.
Take your point there, but Idowu is very much an also-run, and we where talking about the general strength of the list, and Athletics World Champions generally get nominated, haven't got the stats but I'd bet every individual one has. I'm a crap punter though.

I think Button has a fair case as watching him drive at times he's shown some outstanding quality. In a sport ridiculed for lack of overtaking, some of the moves he's made are breathtaking.

Ennis and Idowu never heard of, least someone like Daley has transcribed from a **** sport no-one cares about to the public eye, albeit for his age.

Haye and Cavendish have really put their sports back on the map. Admittedly neither have been far away.... Britain have had Lewis in recent years on the heavyweight scene, but Haye has finally dragged us back to the top, whilst Hay has rightly been acknowledged for cycling last year, but Cavendish has kept cycling at the top, in the most prestigious tournament on earth (and one were not very good at!)

Strauss bless him is riding the Ashes eurphoria, which lets face it, was more jammy than sublime.... Do we hold the same hope for English cricket being world no 1 as we do for Murray?? First time weve had a tennis player worth caring about since Perry (sorry Henman, but you were **** outside mid June)

Still Button or Haye for me, prefer Haye, with Murray 3rd... wouldnt whinge about Cavendish in the mix
Well a lot of subjective stuff in their, Personally I don't know owt about Cavendish, Tweedle and a few others, but do know about Ennis and Idowu because I don't mind athletics but never knowingly watch cycling or gymnastics.

Button, as I've said before is mainly about the car, IMHO, and I never understand how only F1 out of all our other motorsports success gets all the plaudits, well since Barry Sheene anyway.

Murray was awful in the Grand Slams, which is what most people (including himself probably) care about. Talk of whether he may be World number 1 in the future, and Del Potro is younger then him so I don't think it's a certainty, seems irrelevant for this years award. Simple fact is we DID win the Ashes, whether jammily or not, and Murray didn't win the biggest prize in his sport (which he thinks is the US Open apparently).

Haye is a good shout, but can't say I love boxing nowadays for a number of reasons.

I won't mention Daley much because I think he's the lowest form of life obviously.

grecian

For consistency it was, but surely making a Final is more impressive, matter of perspective I guess.