• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

British sports personality of the year

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
BBC didn't the rights to F1 last that year though. Would be very suprised if Button didn't win TBH.
True, back in the day Hill/Mansell won it, no idea about people before then but the last British winner before Mansell was possibly James Hunt in the 70s.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
They were debating this on Talk Sport one day in the week and one bloke said he was going to vote for the "women who won the heptathlon but he couldn't remember her name."

Pothas

Same here, Mickey Mouse award if there ever was one. Still, I'd appreciate the sentiment if I was ever in line to win it mind you.
Makes for pretty awful television as well.

Can give a fairly good reflection on what sort of year it has been for British Sport though, have a reasonable selection of candiates this time round, there was that horrific year when princess whats her face Phillps won.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty good list this year, I don't think I'd have any problems with any of them winning. If I was going to go for one, I'd probbaly go for Cavendish on the basis of he has basically proved himself best in the world by a long, long way in his particular field, in a particular sport where British people have traditionaly not done very well and that fact that he actually has some personality.
You really think so? I have not heard of 4 of them and those that I have heard of hardly seem to have had amazing years and a massive impact internationally.

Fair to say Im not on the pulse of British sports but it isnt a very inspiring list.

Id give it to Button

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Button at a canter, IMHO. More engaging character than Hamilton, who only really seems to have his passport to recommend him.

Haye & Strauss the others in with a shout, unless the whole thing's hijacked by ManUre fans and Giggs gets it for not being dead yet.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Ennis becoming world champion in the Heptathlon quite the achievement, no? Seems to be quite unappreciated.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
You really think so? I have not heard of 4 of them and those that I have heard of hardly seem to have had amazing years and a massive impact internationally.

Fair to say Im not on the pulse of British sports but it isnt a very inspiring list.

Id give it to Button

OOI which 4 haven't you heard of?

grecian

Best list for some time I'd of thought. boxing world heavyweight champion, Ashes winning captain and main contributor. F1 World champion and our highest rated mens tennis player since eons. World champion at athletics have always featured too.

Still a meh-event, but slightly less meh then most years, in my opinion.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
OOI which 4 haven't you heard of?
Risking looking ignorant I have not heard of-
Jessica Ennis
Beth Tweddle
Mark Cavendish
Tom Daley

I guess their activities do not permeate my world.

Out of intetrest, what has Giggs done to deserve nomination? Did I miss some big event?

cpr

International Coach
Bit harsh on Giggs, yes winning player of the year was a bit of a joke, but he's a 36 year old guy absolutely tearing the hell out of premiership defences (i'd say he's been better this season than last), and is outperforming some of Englands top stars. I think he deserves recognition for what he's doing and how easy he's making it look despite his age. Not a winner, but worth nomination

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Risking looking ignorant I have not heard of-
Jessica Ennis
Beth Tweddle
Mark Cavendish
Tom Daley

I guess their activities do not permeate my world.

Out of intetrest, what has Giggs done to deserve nomination? Did I miss some big event?
yeah i guessed three of them, thought the other would have been idowu instead of cavendish.

Ennis (Heptathlon), Tweddle (Gymnastics), and Daley (Diving) are all world champions. Though iirc, Ennis pretty much won by default since Kluft opted out (she hadnt lost for 6 years), Daley is only about 6, and Tweddle looks like she's had a few too many arguments with the parralel bars. (World Champ in gymnastics a decent acheivement tho for a Brit)

Cavendish, depends on how you view cycling, but think he won about 4 or 5 stages on the TDF and is maybe the best pure sprinter in cycling.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Though iirc, Ennis pretty much won by default since Kluft opted out (she hadnt lost for 6 years)
Yeah, but she would have been injured anyway. (That said, there's a Yank who probably should have beat her, but failed in American qualifying due to injury.)

Cavendish, depends on how you view cycling, but think he won about 4 or 5 stages on the TDF and is maybe the best pure sprinter in cycling.
No maybe about it.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
yeah i guessed three of them, thought the other would have been idowu instead of cavendish.

Ennis (Heptathlon), Tweddle (Gymnastics), and Daley (Diving) are all world champions. Though iirc, Ennis pretty much won by default since Kluft opted out (she hadnt lost for 6 years), Daley is only about 6, and Tweddle looks like she's had a few too many arguments with the parralel bars. (World Champ in gymnastics a decent acheivement tho for a Brit)

I know of Phillips Idowu. I was a triple jumper myself (and a pretty good one if I do say so myself) and follow it far closer than any 'normal' person would. Saying that just because it was my event doesnt change the fact that it is a pretty low key track and field event. As is Heptathlon.

As for cycling, I dont know the name as I dont have an opinion on the sport. I dont view it a particular way, it just isnt on my radar (saying that probably more so than diving).

Surely Button has to win, right?

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller

Won 6 of them this year and 4 last year in the Tour de France.

grecian

Have voted for Strauss, never understood F1 winners, 'tis the car surely.

BTW an heptathlete and a triple-jumper have won this before, so it wouldn't be that odd if either took it out. Ennis would be my second choice.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Makes for pretty awful television as well.

Can give a fairly good reflection on what sort of year it has been for British Sport though, have a reasonable selection of candiates this time round, there was that horrific year when princess whats her face Phillps won.
Darren Clarke was odds-on to take it that year after helping win the Ryder Cup just after his wife died. There's a feeling in Northern Ireland that the whole thing is ridiculously Anglo-centric, David Healy didn't even make the nominations when he broke the World Cup Qualifiers goalscoring record.

Personally I don't care in the slightest, the whole award is so full of **** that it makes me mildly angry.