• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

British sports personality of the year

Langeveldt

Soutie
Pfft Zara Phillips, crikey.. Just shows what a dire year British sport has had.. The worst English rugby team in history, a cricket team losing their Ashes and their marbles, an obnoxious tennis player who's known more for his hairstyle and his temper than his tennis, and a football world cup campaign that should have been put out of its misery before it had even started.

I'd have gone for the boxers, at least they've done something positive..

Langeveldt

Soutie
Jamee999 said:
Monty's done more in a day than Phillips did all year.
today?

Yeah, I guess thinking about it "Personality" doesn't necessarily mean "Performer" - Although as nice as Prince William is and Diana was, since when has a member of the Royal Family ever been allowed to have a personality?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
They either need to change the name to Sports Performer of the Year, or actually base it on personality. If it was purely on personality, Monty should have won hands down imo.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
This year's nominations:

Jessica Ennis
Ryan Giggs
David Haye
Phillips Idowu
Andrew Strauss
Beth Tweddle
Jenson Button
Mark Cavendish
Tom Daley
Andrew Murray

I want Strauss to win, not sure who will

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Pretty good list this year, I don't think I'd have any problems with any of them winning. If I was going to go for one, I'd probbaly go for Cavendish on the basis of he has basically proved himself best in the world by a long, long way in his particular field, in a particular sport where British people have traditionaly not done very well and that fact that he actually has some personality.

Craig

World Traveller
Pretty good list this year, I don't think I'd have any problems with any of them winning. If I was going to go for one, I'd probbaly go for Cavendish on the basis of he has basically proved himself best in the world by a long, long way in his particular field, in a particular sport where British people have traditionaly not done very well and that fact that he actually has some personality.
Surprised Brad Wiggins didn't get nominated, after he finished 4th in the Tour, and he does have personality (or maybe that his old man was Australian, a piss head and changed wives quicker then a NZ batting order collapse). But yeah Cav has personality, he is correct in what he says, but he is pretty bloody arrogant. Won 23 races this season. And then there is his GF, Fiorella Migilore, from Paraguay:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I doubt he'll take it, though.

Giggs certainly shouldn't take the thing. Should be Strauss, Ennis, Haye & Button the favourites I reckon

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Normally a British F1 champion takes the award, but because Button is wrongly accused of not deserving it, doubt it'll be him.
Cavendish is the most deserving, but it's not a mainstream sport.
Not entirely sure what Giggs did last year that he hasn't done before.
Strauss, meh, best of a pretty poor series.
Athletics, meh.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If it's based on personality Tom Daley will come last. From what I've heard he's a complete ****.

cover drive man

International Captain
What about the other awards? Always enjoy the lifetime achievment award, plus I think the england cricket team have a good chance of taking best team.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Normally a British F1 champion takes the award, but because Button is wrongly accused of not deserving it, doubt it'll be him.
Cavendish is the most deserving, but it's not a mainstream sport.
Not entirely sure what Giggs did last year that he hasn't done before.
Strauss, meh, best of a pretty poor series.
Athletics, meh.
Hamilton never won the award last year,