• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

British sports personality of the year

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
PY said:
Think SKD is saying that the Lacy fight was pinnacle but his performance dropped in his next fight?
So he did. However, the guy he faught after Lacy was pretty good and was cheated out of being World Champ in his previous fight with a technical draw.

Calzaghe still dominated a pretty good fighter for a clear pts decision.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
PY said:
Think SKD is saying that the Lacy fight was pinnacle but his performance dropped in his next fight?
yep, I think Calzaghe himself said he didn't fight very well. The guy just brought him down to his level and he got sucked in to changing his game.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Be hard for Calzaghe, firstly because he likes to overemphasise his ‘Welshness’ and leaving your wife and kids for some tart does little for ones credit regardless of his boxing pedigree.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Just did a quick google search on the Jo'burg born girl Beth, seems like she quite the star and she looks like one of those Taelon's from Earth: Final Conflict as well. We have are winner.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Samuel_Vimes said:
:laugh: Classic.

Boxers are still nutcases tho. To go out there and of your own free will get smacked in the head 10-15 times a night is ridiculous. Just look at what it did to Mohammad Ali's brain. :(
Think it's on the borderline of what's morally permissible for mine. & I say that as a fan. Can't deny that there's something very compelling about two blokes going mano a mano.

The big trouble is fighters who go on for too long; Ali definitely did. I've read he was showing symptoms of Parkinson's before his last fight with Trevor Berbick (who was murdered in Jamaica last week, RIP). I have the same worry for Holyfield, whose speech is slurred already, & Tommy Hearns, still fighting in his late 40s.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
IMO it's been a pretty terrible year for British sport. When one of the candidates is nominated more for his cult hero status than for his performances it makes yet more of a mockery of the award. Might as well give it to Peter Crouch. :p

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
There's been no outstanding British performers, so I voted for Chris Greenacre, my hero.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
GeraintIsMyHero said:
There's been no outstanding British performers, so I voted for Chris Greenacre, my hero.
I already voted. Would have so backed you up on it though.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
GeraintIsMyHero said:
No outstanding British performers in sports you take an interest in.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah I omitted that thoguht, and I swear to God I was thinking of you when I did so steds! Hahaha :D

I'll tell you what though, if Wellens makes the final cut, I'll vote for him on the night :D

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
That Tweddle girl was the guest speaker at my school prize-giving this year, I had to say a vote of thanks to her and give her this present. Gymnastics =! sport as far as I'm concerned.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Steds will be gutted. Shortlist of ten named

Jenson Button
Joe Calzaghe
Darren Clarke
Nicole Cooke
Ricky Hatton
Andy Murray
Monty Panesar
Zara Phillips
Phil Taylor
Beth Tweddle

The Power deserves it imo

Last edited:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
If you look here they have the shortlists for received from each newspaper/media source. Wellens didn't make a single top 10, Sean Long was in the Guardian's but was the only RL player i can see.