• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

British sports personality of the year

steds

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
Monty this year, but where is Owen Hargreaves?
Do you seriously think 32 Test wickets @ 32.40 and the best of a bad bunch at the World Cup is the best we could come up with?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yea, no way Monty should get it for bowling passably on spinner-friendly decks against over-rated players of spin (Pakistan). Someone like Cook did much better.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
As long as it's not Zara Phillips. A nothing sport & very much a tug of the forelock sort of vote.

Darren Clarke, maybe? Triumph over tragedy always plays well.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Thought I could count on you as an appreciator of all sports with egg shaped balls :sleep: ...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
steds said:
Thought I could count on you as an appreciator of all sports with egg shaped balls :sleep: ...
Think who you beat in the Grand Final. :p

Nah, if we win a test in the next three weeks I'll vote for Wellens. He's ok for a slow fella.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
BoyBrumby said:
He could get it, but shouldn't. Whilst what Clarke did was incredible and a true inspiration, it would be unfair to put this as a sporting triumph ahead of the rest of the Ryder Cup team.

There are no real obvious candidates though.

Matteh

steds said:
She became Women Cycling's World Number #1 this year (as well as finishing 5th in the recent World Championships Time Trial event and 3rd in the Road Race event.)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Matteh said:
She became Women Cycling's World Number #1 this year (as well as finishing 5th in the recent World Championships Time Trial event and 3rd in the Road Race event.)
Congratulations. You've found someone with a weaker claim than Zara. :p

Matteh

BoyBrumby said:
Congratulations. You've found someone with a weaker claim than Zara. :p
Meh. The horse did all of Zara's work.
You get on your bike and ride 130km+ and tell me she's done nothing. :p

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Its a weak year and Im pretty divorced from British sports but how about giving it to someone special from a 'real' sport for an amazing performance.

Id nominate Joe Calzaghe.
Still unbeaten with 42 wins.
Concensus World Number 1
IBF, WBO World Champion
Most World Championship defenses of any British boxer in history
Scintilating and rampant victory over favoured and destructive America, Jeff Lacy. Called one of the greatest performances by any British boxer.

He has a pretty good case and with nothing much else going on why not give it to a Welshie this year :)

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
I was thinking about a boxer, but I don't think Calzaghe has done anything big enough to warrant the award this year. Then again, no-one else has.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Jungle Jumbo said:
I was thinking about a boxer, but I don't think Calzaghe has done anything big enough to warrant the award this year. Then again, no-one else has.
The Lacy fight was incredible. Maybe, better than anything any British boxer has done in a decades (yes even better than Hatton-Tszyu). Seldom has an undefeated World Champion, fighing at home been a big underdog and then go onto completely school his opponent and make him look foolish. Calzaghe was brilliant against a supposed unstoppable foe.

The Lacy fight was a masterclass and was career defining. No doubt about it now. Joe is a great fighter.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Did you see the one after against the adopted Aussie though? Fair enough the other guy was a complete nut who kept using his head, but Calzaghe's performance was well down on the Lacy fight.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
Did you see the one after against the adopted Aussie though? Fair enough the other guy was a complete nut who kept using his head, but Calzaghe's performance was well down on the Lacy fight.
I watched both fights mentioned.

As for the bolded area. Say what now? It was one of the best performances in years against a guy noone gave him a chance of beating.

Im not holding a renegade opinion here. Read the predictions, the fight reports and what came out of the Lacy camp after the fight. All give Calzaghe little chance and then rave about his performance.

Calzaghe was unbeleivable and made an up-and-coming sure fire legend and superstar shake his head in disbelief and question his career.

PY

International Coach
Unless it's heavyweight, boxing IMO doesn't get recognised in the UK.

Probably because 90% of the population can identify with heavyweights....:dry:

PY

International Coach
Goughy said:
I watched both fights mentioned.

As for the bolded area. Say what now? It was one of the best performances in years against a guy noone gave him a chance of beating.

Im not holding a renegade opinion here. Read the predictions, the fight reports and what came out of the Lacy camp after the fight. All give Calzaghe little chance and then rave about his performance.

Calzaghe was unbeleivable and made an up-and-coming sure fire legend and superstar shake his head in disbelief and question his career.
Think SKD is saying that the Lacy fight was pinnacle but his performance dropped in his next fight?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
PY said:
Unless it's heavyweight, boxing IMO doesn't get recognised in the UK.

Probably because 90% of the population can identify with heavyweights....:dry:
:laugh: Classic.

Boxers are still nutcases tho. To go out there and of your own free will get smacked in the head 10-15 times a night is ridiculous. Just look at what it did to Mohammad Ali's brain. :(