Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: British sports personality of the year

cpr
    Love it, find one of the other 9 who can do what they do year in year out for more than 5 years and still constently be one of the best.

People say its sympathy vote for the end of a career, **** off, he's been one of our best players for the last 2 league titles, European Cup, and the fact he's got 15 years on half the players he ****s on each week makes him deserve it more IMO.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    Love it, find one of the other 9 who can do what they do year in year out for more than 5 years and still constently be one of the best.
    That's not the point though. The clue is in the use of 2009 in the award.

Next year, Bobby Moore should win.
    Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

cpr
    Well, y'know, he's had a ****ing good 2009, see paragraph 2. Shame for Button, he deserved to be up there, but saying Giggs shouldnt be in the running is laughable.

Giggs is up against guys who've battled to the top of their sport.

Giggs was the best footballer in Wales.

No ****ing comparison.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Was Giggs even the best British player in the Premiership this year?

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamee999 View Post
    Half the time he wasn't even in the team.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Think that would be Mark Cavendish pretty much...

People say its sympathy vote for the end of a career, **** off, he's been one of our best players for the last 2 league titles, European Cup, and the fact he's got 15 years on half the players he ****s on each week makes him deserve it more IMO.
    So basically, you're saying it's a sympathy vote because he's as good as the other players but is older despite not being anything like the best player going. Whereas quite a few of the other candidates are actually the pinacle of their sports.
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

hey, i'm over it now, yeah it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, but at least it's not zara ****ing phillips......
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Glad to see the cricket team get something even though even I'm not sure they deserve it
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

cpr
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    Giggs is up against guys who've battled to the top of their sport.

Giggs was the best footballer in Wales.

No ****ing comparison.

One of the best in England aswell, oh had a bit of a good run in Europe, OK Messi did a bit better but i think he's ineligable

Quote Originally Posted by Jamee999 View Post
    Well, suppose Rooney did alright, the trophy cabinet kinda says he was one of the best...

The fact is, Giggs helped inspire and lead Man Utd to the league, and a CL final, and was pretty damn influential in it... So yes, that would make him one of the best British players in 2009, at the end of the day, show me a British player who achieved more, and did it with such influence over the game.

One of the best in England aswell, oh had a bit of a good run in Europe, OK Messi did a bit better but i think he's ineligable

Well, suppose Rooney did alright, the trophy cabinet kinda says he was one of the best...

The fact is, Giggs helped inspire and lead Man Utd to the league, and a CL final, and was pretty damn influential in it... So yes, that would make him one of the best British players in 2009, at the end of the day, show me a British player who achieved more, and did it with such influence over the game.
    Last time I checked there was a sport other than football, a team other than Manure and someone British actually won something meaningful on the international stage.

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    They should have just given Giggs some achievement award for his long service to football. I don't begrudge him his success at all, has always seemed a decent guy as well and stayed out of trouble, but the clue is in the title of the award. Also he'd have never have picked up so many initial votes from the public and the press to get him into the shortlist had he not won the PFA award, which people questioned when he was given it anyway.

IMO if it was a completely objective and knowledgeable panel, Ennis or Cav should have won it.

Button was far from the best driver in Formula One (not a sport in my book, but that's another argument altogether...) and failed to win once a level playing field was created. So he shouldn't have been anywhere near it either.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Glad to see the cricket team get something even though even I'm not sure they deserve it
    Who would you of giving it too then.

Can't think of many other options. Personally was happy to see the womens team do well, but it's a very big minority sport IMHO.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jumbo View Post
    They should have just given Giggs some achievement award for his long service to football. I don't begrudge him his success at all, has always seemed a decent guy as well and stayed out of trouble, but the clue is in the title of the award. Also he'd have never have picked up so many initial votes from the public and the press to get him into the shortlist had he not won the PFA award, which people questioned when he was given it anyway.

IMO if it was a completely objective and knowledgeable panel, Ennis or Cav should have won it.

Button was far from the best driver in Formula One (not a sport in my book, but that's another argument altogether...) and failed to win once a level playing field was created. So he shouldn't have been anywhere near it either.
    Yeah, agree with the majority of this, I don't begrudge Giggs any of his success whatsoever, but the fact that he has won just shows what a joke the whole award is. Sports personality of the year is just an excuse for the BBC to pay for all their presenters to dress up nice and give them and all of the guests a night out at the expense of the poor bastards paying the TV license fees. What makes all this faux grandeur even worse is the fact that it seems nobody watching or those receiving the awards actually gives a monkey's about the entire thing. Bit of a farce imo, regardless of who wins.

Edit: That said, a few years back when Bobby Robson was given the lifetime achievement award was very good, brought a tear to the eye.
    Last edited by sledger; 13-12-2009 at 02:39 PM.

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information