• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

British sports personality of the year

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I like Haye, so ****y and bottling facing either of the Klitschko's didn't really show him in a good light but for some reason I like him. Has been funny whenever he's been on Soccer AM.

Daley is ploop though

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Noo, he has a bad rep for being a **** a few years ago, but is by all accounts a very decent bloke these days. Very team orientated and dedicated, always speaks to the media and does a fair bit of charity work.

Anyway, even if you think he is a douchebag, at least he has a personality unlike about 99% of other British sportsmen.
Didn't the rest of the riders make a protest about his dangerous riding or something?

Also classily dumped his pre-fame girlfriend for an ex-Miss Italy after dedicating his autobiography to the former.

Pretty sure he's an absolute ****, tbh.

grecian

Yep.

Saw some odds in the paper today.
McCoy 4/5
Female athlete of some description 16/1
Daley 20/1
Swann 25/1
Haye 40/1
Cavendish 66/1
How dare you talk about the girl I love like that. Shocking that Daley got in there and Tancock didn't. Clear Cornish bias.:@

grecian

Ennis? Not bad I guess.
Westwood was about 6/1 IIRC
golf vote will be split, I actually think McDowell is the more deserving winner, won Britains first major this millenia, and holed the winning putt in the Ryder Cup.

Actually do think Ennis would be a decent shout. Or better then many listed there.

Last edited:

Jarquis

I was wrong, McDowell at 6/1 and Westwood at 16s. Phil Taylor was similar to McDowell IIRC

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Didn't the rest of the riders make a protest about his dangerous riding or something?

Also classily dumped his pre-fame girlfriend for an ex-Miss Italy after dedicating his autobiography to the former.

Pretty sure he's an absolute ****, tbh.
With all due respect, do you actually know anything about road cycling or are you just basing your assumptions on what sound like tabloid stories?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Well it's still a tabloid style story, regardless of what paper it's actually printed in.

Look, I'm not trying to say that he's an angel, not by any stretch, but I think it's exceedingly harsh to label him an absolute ****.

After every single race he wins (which ends up being a lot), he dedicates it to the team without fail, gives his opinion without having to resort to tired cliches and comes across as a decent bloke.

Sure, he can act like a **** in the heat of the moment on occasions, but the good stuff that he does, such as the charity work, far outweighs that in my opinion. Feel free to disagree of course, but it would perhaps be wise to look beyond whatever headlines there are.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Delighted AP won it.

Heartbreaking seeing Seve though, he looked blind during his clip as he certainly wasn't focussing on the camera.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
A second consecutive year of farce in the main award - sports personality of the year should recognise what people have done in the year, not over their career.

Jarquis

SPOTY votes: McCoy 293,152
Taylor 72,095
Ennis 62,953
W'wood 58,640
GMac 52,108
Daley 50,763
Cav 44,170
Amy W 43,056
Swann 13,767
Haye 7,538

Not even close

steds

Hall of Fame Member
A second consecutive year of farce in the main award - sports personality of the year should recognise what people have done in the year, not over their career.
Yes, because being champion jockey, with wins in the Champion Hurdle and the Grand National is such an average year.

Cbf with it this year. The shortlist is always such bull****. This year, Mo Farah won gold in the 5000m & 10000m at the European Championships and broke the British 5000m record and the British 10000m road record. Sailor Ed Wright won the World Cup series and came 2nd in the European Championships in the finn class and won the finn Gold Cup (which I think is officially a world championship). And they miss out to a boxer who won one fight and one farce, and someone who is very good at throwing a large needle less than 8 foot.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

BBC Sport - BBC announce 2011 Sports Personality of the Year top 10

It's that time again, when we look at some of the nominations and go what the **** did they do? I mean Andy Murray ffs. Amir Khan is pretty dubious as well, the guy who seems to want to follow in the footsteps of **** Naseem Hamed (to give him his official title) and trying their best to kill someone on the road whilst leading a flashy yet ultimately unsuccessful boxing career.

I would have thought that a cricketer would be an obvious choice, but it seems Cavendish and Clarke are the two that are way ahead in terms of odds. Cook and Strauss are long shots.

BBC Sports Personality Odds | Outright Bets | easyodds.com

Last edited: