Cricket Player Manager
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 315

Thread: British sports personality of the year

  1. #166
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wishing Phil Hughes all the best
    Posts
    45,335
    Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave View Post
    Cavendish, depends on how you view cycling, but think he won about 4 or 5 stages on the TDF and is maybe the best pure sprinter in cycling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    No maybe about it.
    Shouldn't it be qualified to best road sprinter, tbf? Cavendish may be the best sprinter after a tour stage, but you'd fancy Hoy to have him in the velodrome, wouldn't you?
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

  2. #167
    Hall of Fame Member Marcuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Above you
    Posts
    15,687
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Yeah. Graeme Swann should have it nailed down if we're taking the award's title literally.

    Signed up to twitter just to follow him

  3. #168
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    still scratching around in the same old hole
    Posts
    15,201
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Have voted for Strauss, never understood F1 winners, 'tis the car surely.

    BTW an heptathlete and a triple-jumper have won this before, so it wouldn't be that odd if either took it out. Ennis would be my second choice.
    Yeah but the triple jumper that won transended the event and was the greatest ever and set a world record that still stands over 10 years on. That doesnt compare to a guy (ie Idowu) who has a personal best that wouldnt have even been the best jump back in 1975. What Idowu pales in comparision to what Edwards did.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

    West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

    Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

    Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

  4. #169
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    still scratching around in the same old hole
    Posts
    15,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    True, but if an English footballer broke the all-time record for goals in a World Cup Qualifying campaign (including, amongst other things, a hat-trick to beat Spain 3-2) he'd win the award so conclusively it would barely be worth holding a ceremony. Healy did it in a vastly inferior team and didn't even warrant a mention.
    Up until Healy did it it is a record I have never heard anyone talk about previously. It is a nothing record. Nice but meaningless. It carries no glory. Breaking a record noone cares about doesnt really elevate someone.

    No kid dreams of becoming the all-time record goal scorer in a World Cup Qualifying campaign. They dream of other more important and glamerous things.


  5. #170
    cpr
    cpr is online now
    International Coach cpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    10,182
    I think Button has a fair case as watching him drive at times he's shown some outstanding quality. In a sport ridiculed for lack of overtaking, some of the moves he's made are breathtaking.

    Ennis and Idowu never heard of, least someone like Daley has transcribed from a **** sport no-one cares about to the public eye, albeit for his age.

    Haye and Cavendish have really put their sports back on the map. Admittedly neither have been far away.... Britain have had Lewis in recent years on the heavyweight scene, but Haye has finally dragged us back to the top, whilst Hay has rightly been acknowledged for cycling last year, but Cavendish has kept cycling at the top, in the most prestigious tournament on earth (and one were not very good at!)

    Strauss bless him is riding the Ashes eurphoria, which lets face it, was more jammy than sublime.... Do we hold the same hope for English cricket being world no 1 as we do for Murray?? First time weve had a tennis player worth caring about since Perry (sorry Henman, but you were **** outside mid June)


    Still Button or Haye for me, prefer Haye, with Murray 3rd... wouldnt whinge about Cavendish in the mix
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

  6. #171
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wishing Phil Hughes all the best
    Posts
    45,335
    Feel obliged to point out diving and gymnastics aren't real sports.

    Tweedle a yarp too.

  7. #172
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    49,105
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Darren Clarke was odds-on to take it that year after helping win the Ryder Cup just after his wife died. There's a feeling in Northern Ireland that the whole thing is ridiculously Anglo-centric, David Healy didn't even make the nominations when he broke the World Cup Qualifiers goalscoring record.

    Personally I don't care in the slightest, the whole award is so full of **** that it makes me mildly angry.
    Well of course it's Anglo-centric. It gets voted for by the public and there are about 50 million more people in England than Northern Ireland.

    It's why Calzaghe's win was a bit of a surprise, and I doubt Hoy would have won had he represented Scotland rather than GB
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  8. #173
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wishing Phil Hughes all the best
    Posts
    45,335
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Well of course it's Anglo-centric. It gets voted for by the public and there are about 50 million more people in England than Northern Ireland.

    It's why Calzaghe's win was a bit of a surprise, and I doubt Hoy would have won had he represented Scotland rather than GB
    Calzaghe's English as roast beef, tbf. Born in Hammersmith.

  9. #174
    Hall of Fame Member grecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Concentrating on the League
    Posts
    15,727
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Yeah but the triple jumper that won transended the event and was the greatest ever and set a world record that still stands over 10 years on. That doesnt compare to a guy (ie Idowu) who has a personal best that wouldnt have even been the best jump back in 1975. What Idowu pales in comparision to what Edwards did.
    Take your point there, but Idowu is very much an also-run, and we where talking about the general strength of the list, and Athletics World Champions generally get nominated, haven't got the stats but I'd bet every individual one has. I'm a crap punter though.

    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    I think Button has a fair case as watching him drive at times he's shown some outstanding quality. In a sport ridiculed for lack of overtaking, some of the moves he's made are breathtaking.

    Ennis and Idowu never heard of, least someone like Daley has transcribed from a **** sport no-one cares about to the public eye, albeit for his age.

    Haye and Cavendish have really put their sports back on the map. Admittedly neither have been far away.... Britain have had Lewis in recent years on the heavyweight scene, but Haye has finally dragged us back to the top, whilst Hay has rightly been acknowledged for cycling last year, but Cavendish has kept cycling at the top, in the most prestigious tournament on earth (and one were not very good at!)

    Strauss bless him is riding the Ashes eurphoria, which lets face it, was more jammy than sublime.... Do we hold the same hope for English cricket being world no 1 as we do for Murray?? First time weve had a tennis player worth caring about since Perry (sorry Henman, but you were **** outside mid June)


    Still Button or Haye for me, prefer Haye, with Murray 3rd... wouldnt whinge about Cavendish in the mix
    Well a lot of subjective stuff in their, Personally I don't know owt about Cavendish, Tweedle and a few others, but do know about Ennis and Idowu because I don't mind athletics but never knowingly watch cycling or gymnastics.

    Button, as I've said before is mainly about the car, IMHO, and I never understand how only F1 out of all our other motorsports success gets all the plaudits, well since Barry Sheene anyway.

    Murray was awful in the Grand Slams, which is what most people (including himself probably) care about. Talk of whether he may be World number 1 in the future, and Del Potro is younger then him so I don't think it's a certainty, seems irrelevant for this years award. Simple fact is we DID win the Ashes, whether jammily or not, and Murray didn't win the biggest prize in his sport (which he thinks is the US Open apparently).

    Haye is a good shout, but can't say I love boxing nowadays for a number of reasons.

    I won't mention Daley much because I think he's the lowest form of life obviously.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

  10. #175
    International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    6,067
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post

    Murray was awful in the Grand Slams
    wat
    Proud member of the Twenty20 is boring society


    E-Mail - liamhowgate@yahoo.co.uk
    MSN - liamhowgate@hotmail.com

  11. #176
    Hall of Fame Member grecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Concentrating on the League
    Posts
    15,727
    Quote Originally Posted by Pup Clarke View Post
    wat
    Umm, he lost to players ranked lower then him in each didn't he?

    Awful may be an exageration, maybe mediocre perhaps

  12. #177
    International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    6,067
    He actually had his best run in slams tbh

  13. #178
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    49,105
    Didn't win any though

  14. #179
    Hall of Fame Member grecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Concentrating on the League
    Posts
    15,727
    For consistency it was, but surely making a Final is more impressive, matter of perspective I guess.

  15. #180
    Hall of Fame Member Marcuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Above you
    Posts
    15,687
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    I won't mention Daley much because I think he's the lowest form of life obviously.
    Divers aren't that bad, are they? Some incident as a youth perhaps?

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Happy New Year
    By Cybersmurf in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-01-2005, 11:39 AM
  2. South Australian Crickets Don Bradman Medal Night
    By Blewy in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-10-2003, 06:07 AM
  3. ZCU richest sport's association in Zim
    By V Reddy in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-08-2003, 07:16 AM
  4. Wisden's Five Cricketers of the Year
    By Neil Pickup in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 04-05-2003, 04:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •