• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

British sports personality of the year

cpr

International Coach
Giggs is up against guys who've battled to the top of their sport.

Giggs was the best footballer in Wales.

No ****ing comparison.

One of the best in England aswell, oh had a bit of a good run in Europe, OK Messi did a bit better but i think he's ineligable

Was Giggs even the best British player in the Premiership this year?
Well, suppose Rooney did alright, the trophy cabinet kinda says he was one of the best...

The fact is, Giggs helped inspire and lead Man Utd to the league, and a CL final, and was pretty damn influential in it... So yes, that would make him one of the best British players in 2009, at the end of the day, show me a British player who achieved more, and did it with such influence over the game.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One of the best in England aswell, oh had a bit of a good run in Europe, OK Messi did a bit better but i think he's ineligable

Well, suppose Rooney did alright, the trophy cabinet kinda says he was one of the best...

The fact is, Giggs helped inspire and lead Man Utd to the league, and a CL final, and was pretty damn influential in it... So yes, that would make him one of the best British players in 2009, at the end of the day, show me a British player who achieved more, and did it with such influence over the game.
Last time I checked there was a sport other than football, a team other than Manure and someone British actually won something meaningful on the international stage.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
They should have just given Giggs some achievement award for his long service to football. I don't begrudge him his success at all, has always seemed a decent guy as well and stayed out of trouble, but the clue is in the title of the award. Also he'd have never have picked up so many initial votes from the public and the press to get him into the shortlist had he not won the PFA award, which people questioned when he was given it anyway.

IMO if it was a completely objective and knowledgeable panel, Ennis or Cav should have won it.

Button was far from the best driver in Formula One (not a sport in my book, but that's another argument altogether...) and failed to win once a level playing field was created. So he shouldn't have been anywhere near it either.

grecian

Glad to see the cricket team get something even though even I'm not sure they deserve it
Who would you of giving it too then.

Can't think of many other options. Personally was happy to see the womens team do well, but it's a very big minority sport IMHO.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
They should have just given Giggs some achievement award for his long service to football. I don't begrudge him his success at all, has always seemed a decent guy as well and stayed out of trouble, but the clue is in the title of the award. Also he'd have never have picked up so many initial votes from the public and the press to get him into the shortlist had he not won the PFA award, which people questioned when he was given it anyway.

IMO if it was a completely objective and knowledgeable panel, Ennis or Cav should have won it.

Button was far from the best driver in Formula One (not a sport in my book, but that's another argument altogether...) and failed to win once a level playing field was created. So he shouldn't have been anywhere near it either.
Yeah, agree with the majority of this, I don't begrudge Giggs any of his success whatsoever, but the fact that he has won just shows what a joke the whole award is. Sports personality of the year is just an excuse for the BBC to pay for all their presenters to dress up nice and give them and all of the guests a night out at the expense of the poor bastards paying the TV license fees. What makes all this faux grandeur even worse is the fact that it seems nobody watching or those receiving the awards actually gives a monkey's about the entire thing. Bit of a farce imo, regardless of who wins.

Edit: That said, a few years back when Bobby Robson was given the lifetime achievement award was very good, brought a tear to the eye.

Last edited:

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs, running down the wing,
Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs, running down the wing,
Feared by the blues, loved by the reds,
Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Who would you of giving it too then.

Can't think of many other options. Personally was happy to see the womens team do well, but it's a very big minority sport IMHO.
I probably would have given it to them, but I am hugely biased and they are my second favourite sports team after the whites. But we lost away to the Windies and at home to Holland this year. As you say though, what were the other options?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Button at a canter, IMHO. More engaging character than Hamilton, who only really seems to have his passport to recommend him.

Haye & Strauss the others in with a shout, unless the whole thing's hijacked by ManUre fans and Giggs gets it for not being dead yet.
Called it. ****s.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
People say its sympathy vote for the end of a career, **** off, he's been one of our best players for the last 2 league titles,
So much so that last season he started less than 20 league games.

Absolute farcical award, almost as bad as the one's he got in May.

cover drive man

International Captain
Last night pretty much proves how football is by far the biggest sport in the country (Not saying this is good or bad just that it is)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'd have thought there were plenty of other things that have been proving that for much longer than I've been alive tbh

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Haha just found out who won. So pleased Giggs won, what a trooper. I'll just admit that I'm biased and that it's hilarious watching people getting so worked up about some award.

Scaly; there are more important things in life, chill out.

Matteh

Bet he gets told that all the time at Scrabble.

'Calm down mate, it's just a game'