• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

British sports personality of the year

Craig

World Traveller
What is the story with the hate of Tom Daley? Other that he is from Plymouth, which would explain why Grecian would not like him.

cpr

International Coach
Finds those nicely tucked positions easy to obtain due to living his life with his head up his arse......

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Up until Healy did it it is a record I have never heard anyone talk about previously. It is a nothing record. Nice but meaningless. It carries no glory. Breaking a record noone cares about doesnt really elevate someone.

No kid dreams of becoming the all-time record goal scorer in a World Cup Qualifying campaign. They dream of other more important and glamerous things.
The record itself isn't really the point, it's the performances themselves, that single-handedly elevated a country from absolute joke to serious contenders for a place in the World Cup, that meant a lot in Northern Ireland.

But more to the point, it's all relative. Most of the contenders for Sports Personality hadn't achieved anything anyone cared about, let alone dreamt about doing when they were a kid. Besides, scoring the winner for Northern Ireland against England at Windsor Park is exactly what every kid in the country dreams about.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What is the story with the hate of Tom Daley? Other that he is from Plymouth, which would explain why Grecian would not like him.
I know a few lads that went to school with him. Pretty much what cpr said.

Jarquis

Ah so a "I'm better then you" attitude then?
Yeah, can't imagine what it's like to be him though.
Being an Olympic sportsperson, balancing a social life, handling the press (which there was a lot of surrounding Beijing) and all the other things.
All the girls in Plymouth and the surrounding areas were absolutely crazy for him around that time, amount of Facebooks saying "ZOMG JUST SAW TOM DALEY!!! (L)" etc.
Suppose it would be quite hard to deal with it all and manage to live "a normal life" as a "normal guy" especially if you enjoyed the fame/attention, which he did apparently.

cpr

International Coach
Ah yes, crackin singer, not much to look at, voice that makes me want to brick her whenever she talks (would she feel it??)

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
BBC Sports personality

Ashes and Champions Trophy semi-final vs. Ashes, world cup winners, T20 world cup winners. Yeah, I can see why the men's cricket team beat the women to 'team of the year' :p

HeathDavisSpeed

And the complete lack of personality in the English men's cricket team really shows they were a guaranteed winner for Best Team at Sports Personality of the Year.

They obviously showed plenty of 'good character' in order to take this prize out.