• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Roy Keane leaves Manure

Craig

World Traveller
luckyeddie said:
British Isles as opposed to Great Britain or the United Kingdom - and I was referring to the fact that he was one of the best players to play for a British club (as opposed to Arsenal who I would describe as French) .
So you describe Liverpool as Spanish?

Is that one requirement to play at Anfield? The ability to speak Spanish so your team mates understand what you are saying?

Craig

World Traveller
Barney Rubble said:
Keane was a fantastic player for Manure - a complete tosser, but a truly great player. He'll be a big loss for them, mostly because he's the only one of their players who seems to actually be a central midfielder, rather than a converted striker/winger/not really anything at all.
Looks like he could be pulling on a Portsmouth jersey when he is fit again? That at least your club has expressed their interest in him. How would it go down at Fratton Park?

If he doesn't go there, or Celtic, then what price would he go to the Arabian retirement at Qatar/Saudi Arabia/UAE?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
So you describe Liverpool as Spanish?

Is that one requirement to play at Anfield? The ability to speak Spanish so your team mates understand what you are saying?
Can't pull the wool over your eyes, Craig.

It's just like Australia footy being the combined Croatia/Italy 'B' sides, England cricket being the 'League of Nations' and Nottingham Forest being puke.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Craig said:
Looks like he could be pulling on a Portsmouth jersey when he is fit again? That at least your club has expressed their interest in him. How would it go down at Fratton Park?

If he doesn't go there, or Celtic, then what price would he go to the Arabian retirement at Qatar/Saudi Arabia/UAE?
He'd go down brilliantly here - except Hell will freeze over before it actually happens. I honestly can't think of anything in football that would surprise me more. Can you imagine how he'd react to being in the same side as Laurent Robert? Carnage! :-O

He'll go to Celtic, I'm pretty certain.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
From what I read in the papers today Celtic want him on the cheap. I know Keane has often said that he wants to finish his career there, but he also strikes me as a player with a keen (ha!) sense of his market value. Obviously he could make a mint in Qatar, but I'd hope he'd have enough about him to consider that beneath him.

Maybe short term deal @ Middlesboro as compromise? I'm sure McClaren would be v chuffed to have him & they're more financially sound than Celtic.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
Maybe short term deal @ Middlesboro as compromise? I'm sure McClaren would be v chuffed to have him & they're more financially sound than Celtic.
Don't think they'll go for him, as they don't really need him - and he can hardly go up to McClaren and say "please let me play for you." I think he'd probably get frustrated with their inconsistency, too.

I really can't see him going anywhere other than Celtic - although maybe the fact that it doesn't look like they're going to win the title this season might sway his decision. He's already said he'd find it hard to go to another Premiership club, and I can't see him going to Qatar - the level of professionalism and quality that he expects from his teammates simply doesn't exist there.

The thing is, though, very few clubs will be able to afford him - I'm not even sure Celtic could afford £40-50,000 a week, which is undoubtedly what he'd ask for, at a bare minimum. That's one of many reasons why he won't join us - the highest earner in Pompey's history is Robert, and he gets £25,000 a week. Mind you, if our Chairman has declared an interest, then perhaps that indicates he's willing to break the bank to get him. God knows he's rich enough.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Barney Rubble said:
He'd go down brilliantly here - except Hell will freeze over before it actually happens. I honestly can't think of anything in football that would surprise me more. Can you imagine how he'd react to being in the same side as Laurent Robert? Carnage! :-O

He'll go to Celtic, I'm pretty certain.
They said the same when Dave Mackay left Spurs in the late 1960's - and came to a sleepy backwater in the second division (Derby) when he could have gone to any club he chose.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
They said the same when Dave Mackay left Spurs in the late 1960's - and came to a sleepy backwater in the second division (Derby) when he could have gone to any club he chose.
I'm far too young and sprightly to know anything about that. :p

Seriously though, we're **** - I don't understand why anyone would want to join us, let alone a player like him.

(Has anyone picked up yet that I'm trying to tempt fate by saying he'll never join us? :D )

BoyBrumby said:
Wow. End of an era time. Off to Celtic then presumably? Presumably this means The Evil Empire is pretty confident of getting Ballack, maybe even in the window.
I dont really care about the ijiot. Utd dont miss him anyways, like they use to :ph34r:

Craig

World Traveller
luckyeddie said:
Didn't Derby win the old first division when he became Manager when Clough quit?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Craig said:
Didn't Derby win the old first division when he became Manager when Clough quit?
Won it in 1972 with OBE at the helm & again in '75 under Mackay after the great man had left, so yes.