Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rugby Wc 2011

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Snippie's Avatar

Rugby Wc 2011

The host for the Rugby WC 2011 will be announced this afternoon.

The countries bidding for this is: South Africa, Japan and New Zealand

Most people agree that with their lack of infrastructure, Hotel Rooms and small stadia's NZ is basically out of the running. The only thing they have is a very big Rugby Culture, which does count for something, but if they are to host this, I'll be mightily surprised.

Japan is a strong contender. The IRB would like to expand the game to Asia, they have a very good Infrastructure with World Class Stadia's, but the fact that they aren't a Rugby playing Powerhouse, time zones, and that it is quite expensive to travel in Jap can count against their bid.

SA will have hosted the 2010 Football WC so will have the some of the world's best Stadias available. Very strong rugby playing nation, and they have backed the growing of the game throughout Africa by creating the African Leopards.

Most people think it will be a two-way fight between Japan and SA.

My heart wants it to come to SA, but I don't know, Japan has a strong case too, and who knows, NZ may surprise us...

But I will stand firm by my hope that SA will get it

What's your thoughts, who do you think will clinch it?

You're being harsh to NZ. I'd like to see it there, because they have been the best team in the world for ages, were unlucky to miss out in 2003, and have the support of the country to make it really successful.

NZ 2011!!!

International Vice-Captain Linda's Avatar
    How on earth would NZ fit them all in....?!

"I know I underperformed but after the past 18 months I thought I might have received more than four Test matches' grace."
    - DR Martyn.

"Is there any way to make it longer?"
    Peter English on Twenty20

Official Face of the v. hip 'Twenty20 Is Boring Society'

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda
    Maybe they could just move all their sheep somewhere else for a month
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Careful Linda....we may decide to claim Tasmania

That's my question as well.

Apparently with the recent Lions tour, some people had to stay in Australia and fly to the games as there wasn't place to stay in the host nation, others had to stay in cities hundreds of miles away. This was 20 000 fans, what are they going to do with 100 000?

I know it isn't fair, NZ has been the best for years - (they just have the same ability to choke in WC in rugby as we have in Cricket ), but unfortunetely I do not see NZ's infrastructure able to handle the amount of people that will be visiting.

Then there is also the time zone issue, as most of the Rugby playing countries is in Europe, again, not fair, but apparently these things count a lot for the IRB.

Quote Originally Posted by andyc
    LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by zinzan12
    Careful Linda....we may decide to claim Tasmania
    Have it!
    CWXI Regular - Member of CW Black

Blacks ftw

Quote Originally Posted by Snippie
    The host for the Rugby WC 2011 will be announced this afternoon.

The countries bidding for this is: South Africa, Japan and New Zealand

Most people agree that with their lack of infrastructure, Hotel Rooms and small stadia's NZ is basically out of the running. The only thing they have is a very big Rugby Culture, which does count for something, but if they are to host this, I'll be mightily surprised.

Japan is a strong contender. The IRB would like to expand the game to Asia, they have a very good Infrastructure with World Class Stadia's, but the fact that they aren't a Rugby playing Powerhouse, time zones, and that it is quite expensive to travel in Jap can count against their bid.

SA will have hosted the 2010 Football WC so will have the some of the world's best Stadias available. Very strong rugby playing nation, and they have backed the growing of the game throughout Africa by creating the African Leopards.

Most people think it will be a two-way fight between Japan and SA.

My heart wants it to come to SA, but I don't know, Japan has a strong case too, and who knows, NZ may surprise us...

But I will stand firm by my hope that SA will get it

What's your thoughts, who do you think will clinch it?
    I don't buy into the whole "growing the sport in Asia" by having it in Japan. If it does go to Japan, it will be mainly because of the mighty dollar, not to globalize rugby. I've heard that argument a lot recently. But if you think about it, Japan have been playing professional rugby for years and have never been any good. Also the Hong 7s are played every year and although its 7s and not 15s , that hasn't seemed to strengthened Asian rugby 15s or 7s at all.

As far as the infrastructure problems in NZ are concerned.....Thats where its up to the NZ reps (including our prime minister) to try to convince the decision makers that with govt backing, they will have appropriate infrastructure in place. But I do agree at this stage NZ looks very thin in that dept.

I agree S.Africa have great stadiums, but IMO they have hosted in too recently to have in again in 2011. That would mean they have hosted 2 out of the last 5 world cups.

I think Japan will win the bid....but obviously hope NZ gets it.

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc
    ... or get them to stand on top of one-another.

Over the years, much has been said about 'Butter Mountains' and the like - what's wrong with building a 'Sheep Pyramid'?

This post brought to you by the NZDAMB - New Zealand Dead Animal Marketing Board.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

International Vice-Captain KennyD's Avatar
    I really really hope Japan gets it.

As chance would have it, I'm wearing the Japanese rugby jersey at the time of this post. I hope it helps, in some small, insignificant way.
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaFreak2005
    Well Simon and Xavier hit on all the females but the ladies all want Kenny :naughty:
    Quote Originally Posted by steds
    all 3 of them?

Chopper Challenge Champion! Roulette Champion!
    NZ deserves it, ffs
    "Matt Damon"

Tim
    NZ apparently are the least likely which I somehow cannot believe considering South Africa hosted the 95 Cup. If NZ do win, the good news is that they will at least have to give Eden Park an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Snippie
    That's my question as well.

Apparently with the recent Lions tour, some people had to stay in Australia and fly to the games as there wasn't place to stay in the host nation, others had to stay in cities hundreds of miles away. This was 20 000 fans, what are they going to do with 100 000?

I know it isn't fair, NZ has been the best for years - (they just have the same ability to choke in WC in rugby as we have in Cricket ), but unfortunetely I do not see NZ's infrastructure able to handle the amount of people that will be visiting.

Then there is also the time zone issue, as most of the Rugby playing countries is in Europe, again, not fair, but apparently these things count a lot for the IRB.

Ahhh, "apparently" - the favourite word of those who don't really know. There were vacancies in motels and hotels in most cities in which matches were held. In fact, talking to motel owners after the Lions whirlwind had swept through their towns, they were a bit underwhelmed by it all.

Unfortunately, our status as the best team in the world is possibly one thing that will work against us, as teams won't want to give us the advantage of playing at home.

As for the Aussies voting for Japan - no great surprise. It's what we've come to expect from our neighbours - despite its national body being hauled out of bankruptcy by the NZRFU in the 1970s. We won't be coming to help again, that's for sure.

It'll be upgraded to 60,000. Although we have to sort out the transport system, but thats another matter and have 6 years if we get it. GO NZ!
    winner of formula 1 prediction thread 2005 competition and look forward to next year

shakaSaulo@cricketmail.net

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information