• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rugby Wc 2011

Snippie

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The host for the Rugby WC 2011 will be announced this afternoon.

The countries bidding for this is: South Africa, Japan and New Zealand

Most people agree that with their lack of infrastructure, Hotel Rooms and small stadia's NZ is basically out of the running. The only thing they have is a very big Rugby Culture, which does count for something, but if they are to host this, I'll be mightily surprised.

Japan is a strong contender. The IRB would like to expand the game to Asia, they have a very good Infrastructure with World Class Stadia's, but the fact that they aren't a Rugby playing Powerhouse, time zones, and that it is quite expensive to travel in Jap can count against their bid.

SA will have hosted the 2010 Football WC so will have the some of the world's best Stadias available. Very strong rugby playing nation, and they have backed the growing of the game throughout Africa by creating the African Leopards.

Most people think it will be a two-way fight between Japan and SA.

My heart wants it to come to SA, but I don't know, Japan has a strong case too, and who knows, NZ may surprise us...

But I will stand firm by my hope that SA will get it :D

What's your thoughts, who do you think will clinch it?

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
You're being harsh to NZ. I'd like to see it there, because they have been the best team in the world for ages, were unlucky to miss out in 2003, and have the support of the country to make it really successful.

NZ 2011!!!

Snippie

Linda said:
How on earth would NZ fit them all in....?!
That's my question as well.

Apparently with the recent Lions tour, some people had to stay in Australia and fly to the games as there wasn't place to stay in the host nation, others had to stay in cities hundreds of miles away. This was 20 000 fans, what are they going to do with 100 000?

I know it isn't fair, NZ has been the best for years - (they just have the same ability to choke in WC in rugby as we have in Cricket 8-) ), but unfortunetely I do not see NZ's infrastructure able to handle the amount of people that will be visiting.

Then there is also the time zone issue, as most of the Rugby playing countries is in Europe, again, not fair, but apparently these things count a lot for the IRB.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Snippie said:
The host for the Rugby WC 2011 will be announced this afternoon.

The countries bidding for this is: South Africa, Japan and New Zealand

Most people agree that with their lack of infrastructure, Hotel Rooms and small stadia's NZ is basically out of the running. The only thing they have is a very big Rugby Culture, which does count for something, but if they are to host this, I'll be mightily surprised.

Japan is a strong contender. The IRB would like to expand the game to Asia, they have a very good Infrastructure with World Class Stadia's, but the fact that they aren't a Rugby playing Powerhouse, time zones, and that it is quite expensive to travel in Jap can count against their bid.

SA will have hosted the 2010 Football WC so will have the some of the world's best Stadias available. Very strong rugby playing nation, and they have backed the growing of the game throughout Africa by creating the African Leopards.

Most people think it will be a two-way fight between Japan and SA.

My heart wants it to come to SA, but I don't know, Japan has a strong case too, and who knows, NZ may surprise us...

But I will stand firm by my hope that SA will get it :D

What's your thoughts, who do you think will clinch it?
I don't buy into the whole "growing the sport in Asia" by having it in Japan. If it does go to Japan, it will be mainly because of the mighty dollar, not to globalize rugby. I've heard that argument a lot recently. But if you think about it, Japan have been playing professional rugby for years and have never been any good. Also the Hong 7s are played every year and although its 7s and not 15s , that hasn't seemed to strengthened Asian rugby 15s or 7s at all.

As far as the infrastructure problems in NZ are concerned.....Thats where its up to the NZ reps (including our prime minister) to try to convince the decision makers that with govt backing, they will have appropriate infrastructure in place. But I do agree at this stage NZ looks very thin in that dept.

I agree S.Africa have great stadiums, but IMO they have hosted in too recently to have in again in 2011. That would mean they have hosted 2 out of the last 5 world cups.

I think Japan will win the bid....but obviously hope NZ gets it.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
andyc said:
Maybe they could just move all their sheep somewhere else for a month
... or get them to stand on top of one-another.

Over the years, much has been said about 'Butter Mountains' and the like - what's wrong with building a 'Sheep Pyramid'?

This post brought to you by the NZDAMB - New Zealand Dead Animal Marketing Board.

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
I really really hope Japan gets it.

As chance would have it, I'm wearing the Japanese rugby jersey at the time of this post. I hope it helps, in some small, insignificant way.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ apparently are the least likely which I somehow cannot believe considering South Africa hosted the 95 Cup. If NZ do win, the good news is that they will at least have to give Eden Park an upgrade.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Snippie said:
That's my question as well.

Apparently with the recent Lions tour, some people had to stay in Australia and fly to the games as there wasn't place to stay in the host nation, others had to stay in cities hundreds of miles away. This was 20 000 fans, what are they going to do with 100 000?

I know it isn't fair, NZ has been the best for years - (they just have the same ability to choke in WC in rugby as we have in Cricket 8-) ), but unfortunetely I do not see NZ's infrastructure able to handle the amount of people that will be visiting.

Then there is also the time zone issue, as most of the Rugby playing countries is in Europe, again, not fair, but apparently these things count a lot for the IRB.

Ahhh, "apparently" - the favourite word of those who don't really know. There were vacancies in motels and hotels in most cities in which matches were held. In fact, talking to motel owners after the Lions whirlwind had swept through their towns, they were a bit underwhelmed by it all.

Unfortunately, our status as the best team in the world is possibly one thing that will work against us, as teams won't want to give us the advantage of playing at home.

As for the Aussies voting for Japan - no great surprise. It's what we've come to expect from our neighbours - despite its national body being hauled out of bankruptcy by the NZRFU in the 1970s. We won't be coming to help again, that's for sure.

shaka

International Regular
It'll be upgraded to 60,000. Although we have to sort out the transport system, but thats another matter and have 6 years if we get it. GO NZ!

Chubb

International Regular
I really hope NZ get it, although I've just had a thought. What if NZ arranged for quite a few group matches to be played on the Islands? Each group would be allocated an Island just like the Cricket World Cup in WIndies, then the rest of it could be played in NZ. So say Group A was something like;
Australia
England
Scotland
Samoa
Georgia (?)
Uruguay

then they'd play maybe 7 matches in Samoa before flying to NZ for the rest. How long does it take to fly to Samoa from Auckland? If a short time, it could be mixed together.

I bet the IRB would be more favourably disposed to that tournament- Pacific 2015?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Chubb said:
I really hope NZ get it, although I've just had a thought. What if NZ arranged for quite a few group matches to be played on the Islands? Each group would be allocated an Island just like the Cricket World Cup in WIndies, then the rest of it could be played in NZ. So say Group A was something like;
Australia
England
Scotland
Samoa
Georgia (?)
Uruguay

then they'd play maybe 7 matches in Samoa before flying to NZ for the rest. How long does it take to fly to Samoa from Auckland? If a short time, it could be mixed together.

I bet the IRB would be more favourably disposed to that tournament- Pacific 2015?
And how would Samoa's infrastructure support a possible influx of 10,000 people?

Chubb

International Regular
Ah, that's something I didn't consider. Maybe if there aren't enough rooms only the island nations play there; the teams playing them could be handed a set allocation of tickets, tour companies could include the cost of the flight in packages for the fans. I think that Fiji could certainly cope with an influx that size however and maybe by 2015 Samoa could too. I'd certainly pay good money to see rugby in the South Pacific.

Snippie

Voltman said:
Ahhh, "apparently" - the favourite word of those who don't really know. There were vacancies in motels and hotels in most cities in which matches were held. In fact, talking to motel owners after the Lions whirlwind had swept through their towns, they were a bit underwhelmed by it all.

Unfortunately, our status as the best team in the world is possibly one thing that will work against us, as teams won't want to give us the advantage of playing at home.

As for the Aussies voting for Japan - no great surprise. It's what we've come to expect from our neighbours - despite its national body being hauled out of bankruptcy by the NZRFU in the 1970s. We won't be coming to help again, that's for sure.
Which is exactly why I used Apparently. I read it on a worldcup forum, but that person didn't state any sources so I couldn't be sure it wasn't just heresay. I'm glad that you have proven me wrong, I had wondered how an extra 20 000 people could hamper NZ that badly as it is a tourist destination.

Has it been made official that the Aussies will be voting Japan? I haven't heard it, actually I would have thought they'd vote for you guys, I know that the greater districts, Oceania, Europe, Asia etc all have one vote as well, do you atleast think that Oceania will vote for NZ?

I still want it to come to SA, but my second choice would be NZ, as I do think that you are most deservant, we only want it as we won't have to travel too far then! :p

shaka

International Regular
What does Martin Johnson have to gain by supporting Japan? Does he not want a tri nations team getting it or something?

Last edited: